Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    we're still talking about niacin, right?

I 'll skip the idea..our Livers have enough junk to filter as it is
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Vasaline is an old Cold extremity saver... changes the freezing point of the water in your extremities slighty
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I think “taking something because it’s good for you” isn’t a bad thing if you actually do your due diligence to figure out dosage, factor in things like drinking (which I don’t do a lot of), and in this case, consider what something like time-released niacin will do you your liver vs. the normal stuff (or even niacinamide). I think there’s also a difference between real medication and supplemental vitamins/nutrients.

If I was already worried about my heart, or liver, I would take even further steps to make sure I wasn’t killing myself.

I think you’ve got a very good point about your body’s natural instinct to give blood to vital organs. May be a bit oversimplified though; your body absolutely will pull blood from non-vital areas to your core organs. It’s also a sort of safeguard though - it doesn’t necessarily mean that if your body DOESN’T do it that you’ll keel over and die. There are plenty of people still shotgunning beers & whiskey to warm up, and not dying while skiing.

Seal oil has a similar effect. Inuits have used it in the past and still use it to achieve a similar effect of opening up their capillary beds while enduring some pretty harsh environments.

Side note: not trying to defend myself nor come across as hating on your post; just clarifying my intent with this little experiment.
    I think taking something because it's good for you is fine as long as you consider the actual evidence, the source of the information, the side effects, any commercial conflicts of interest. I would stay away from anything marketed as supplements unless you have information from an unbiased source that the particular brand of supplement you're taking contains what it claims to contain. Supplements are exempt from FDA regulation which means no one is required to test them for contents and purity. Maybe there are impartial health magazines and sites that do this--I don't know.

There does reach a point where keeping the core warm isn't enough and I could see the point of a vasodilator for comfort (that's what Hotronics do. You're right that people aren't going to die skiing because they they took a vasodilator like niacin, but if you were to get lost and dig yourself a snow cave, best to not drink that flask of whiskey--that could hasten your death from hypothermia.

Nothing hating or defensive about your post. Obviously you've given it more thought than the impression your first post gives. Stay warm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Genuinely curious...is there anything in the western diet that would have a potentially similar effect?

Personal anecdote/speculation: Even while wearing good winter boots/socks and mitts; a coupla years ago I was having problems with cold hands/feet at work while doing outdoor tasks at temps of minus 20 C and below...I work in the heliski industry so that kinda sucked... I noticed on days where excessive indulgence of mass quantities of fried bacon was consumed at breakfast, my hands/feet stayed warmer for longer....so, I kinda developed a system of starting with a baseline of 2 strips of bacon at breaky at temps in the normal minus range of -2 to -8C at valley bottom. I added strips as temps dropped to a max of 6 big strips when temps hit minus 25 C. Seemed to have a notably positive effect on core and extremity heat production/maintenance. Who knows, coulda been some sort of placebo effect. Prolly not that great for all the obvious health reasons, but whatev; arctic cold temps usually = a total of 3 weeks +/- per season.

Not really an issue any longer due to diligent wim hoffing, which is pretty much the panacea for everything health and wellness related, imo. lol. The snake oil of the 2020's?
    Nitrites (the kind that may cause cancer) in bacon are vasodilators, so your bacon remedy makes physiological sense. Whether there's enough nitrites in bacon to have a noticeable effect I don't know, but your theory isn't crazy.
    I may have to start experimenting myself, start with 3 slices and work my way up until I find the minimum dose that produces an effect.
    Totally worthless anecdotal observation--we were at big sky eating a ton of bacon from the buffet every morning, and I was nice and warm even when it got down to 4 degrees and windy.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    I 'll skip the idea..our Livers have enough junk to filter as it is
    i take 175 mg of silymarin (milk thistle) daily,
    there is some evidence that it accelerates liver regeneration
    just to be clear, im not a dentist

thread drift ....
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Supplements are exempt from FDA regulation which means no one is required to test them for contents and purity.
    THIS. 1000x this.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I may have to start experimenting myself, start with 3 slices and work my way up until I find the minimum dose that produces an effect.
    Now this is my type of research! Very important work.

this is how it goes boys ...
    you start with three slices
    then five
    next thing you want the whole pig

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    i take 175 mg of silymarin (milk thistle) daily,
    there is some evidence that it accelerates liver regeneration
    just to be clear, im not a dentist

thread drift ....
    Why do you need to regenerate your liver
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    THIS. 1000x this.

Now this is my type of research! Very important work.
    Of course once I determine the minimum effective dose I need to keep increasing the dose until I find the toxic dose. I know it's risky but it's for science, and humanity and someone has to do it.

Vegetables are loaded with nitrates... these can be vasodilatory.

So have an omelette with bacon and spinach.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Those 5-hour-energy drinks are basically niacin bombs. Worth a shot, I guess. Could def. help on those get-to-the-lift-early-when-youre-hung-over mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    Vegetables are loaded with nitrates... these can be vasodilatory.

So have an omelette with bacon and spinach.
    uh oh...... my breakfast consists of eggs, potato, spinach and bacon; with everything kinda soaked in bacon grease.

Now I don't know if it was/is the bacon that potentially helped with internal body heat production, or, was/is it potentially one of the individual components, or, was/is it a magic synergy? Or, is it all placebo...or due to wim hoffing? lol. Typing this while standing outside on a clear, cool morning in shorts and flip flops while having a pre breaky ciggy and coffee... kinda funny.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Vasaline is an old Cold extremity saver... changes the freezing point of the water in your extremities slighty
    How much do you have to eat before it kicks in?

In college I seem to remember it coming on after about 3gr.
    Or was it 3am...?
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    i'm fairly sure it says "do not take internally" let me know how that works out