Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using Thompson & Sons water heater Service???

DON'T ..they may go by different names too .. their # is 801 255 4000 for reference

I called 4 days ago, with my water heater model/serial # and part I wanted replaced.

Dude shows up..... No idea about the part I want replaced (obvious thermocouple issue)

Starts priming me on a new water heater(there is no noise ,hot water problem or any other age issues)

I told him to get out.

Their service call is 2x the price of others too; not that I payed them a cent. I figured ,they would be right on it ,since they were the installer-bad call.

Same Day looks good... I bet I get an honest appraisal of my issue from them..pilot stays lit for only 2-4 days.. tapping gas knocks the thermos coupler clean line allows reignition.lol
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

I am going to take your advice and never use them.

Thanks for the heads up, won't be using them.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Tech talk

I used same day a couple times. They were honest and while they attempted to sell me new, they were willing to go out of their way to repair a very old furnace. Needed a new blower motor. Was single stage. They don't make em single anymore. He installed a relay to make a 2 stage only 1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I'll never use those bastards!
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

do they come to Truckee so that I can refuse to use them?
    Last edited by old goat; 02-22-2020 at 08:22 AM.

I’m gonna warn all my neighbors to not hire a company 654.5 miles away. Thanks for the heads up!

What did that guy look like? Ya know, just in case he case he moves here to get a job.

yea..same day came within 30 miniutes of calling,after that other dude left.

Same day sent a very good service operation guy..great info and booked a repair Monday
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Will add to this about a company called Rescue Rooters. Called for the $77 special to run the snake at gf house. First guy comes and seems competent. He runs the snake and clogs the drain worse. Also pulls the toilet to try again and no luck. He then says he needs his "camera guy" to come out and the camera costs $400. Ok, I know plumbing is expensive and I'll just pay it. The "team" of two trucks show up and can't really make the camera work right and say we only have one roof vent and only one access point with no other vent (common in old homes). They finish up and come back with estimates ranging from $4800 for new vent and cleanout to $47000 for complete re-pipe. I said I had to sit on this and they were cool about it because maybe I wasn't an easy mark...or maybe I am? They end up only charging me $70 for both visits and they were really nice guys at heart. So I call another plumber to get an estimate and he says $1000 for new vent and cleanout. Fair, do it. (Regular cleanout is generally a $500 job in my hood.) So they start digging and find that we already have a second roof vent, a side vent, and new pipe to the street. It ends up costing $800 for two guys and three hours work. Very fair for plumbing in my area.

So the moral is, do your due diligence, know your house, and find an honest plumber if you can. I won't be using any of the cheap branded drain cleaner services anymore. Beat up van plumber all the way.
    Last edited by 4matic; 02-22-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Fuck Thompson & his son. I will NEVER use those rat bastards.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Will add to this about a company called Rescue Rooters. Called for the $77 special to run the snake at gf house. First guy comes and seems competent. He runs the snake and clogs the drain worse. Also pulls the toilet to try again and no luck. He then says he needs his "camera guy" to come out and the camera costs $400. Ok, I know plumbing is expensive and I'll just pay it. The "team" of two trucks show up and can't really make the camera work right and say we only have one roof vent and only one access point with no other vent (common in old homes). They finish up and come back with estimates ranging from $4800 for new vent and cleanout to $47000 for complete re-pipe. I said I had to sit on this and they were cool about it because maybe I wasn't an easy mark...or maybe I am? They end up only charging me $70 for both visits and they were really nice guys at heart. So I call another plumber to get an estimate and he says $1000 for new vent and cleanout. Fair, do it. (Regular cleanout is generally a $500 job in my hood.) So they start digging and find that we already have a second roof vent, a side vent, and new pipe to the street. It ends up costing $800 for two guys and three hours work. Very fair for plumbing in my area.

So the moral is, due your due diligence, know your house, and find an honest plumber if you can. I won't be using any of the cheap branded drain cleaner services anymore. Beat up van plumber all the way.
    Rooter mutherfukkers are the worst. Been through this scene where I wasn't home and the ex said, "Sure, dig up the pipe where you got your blade stuck." So they bring in four more guys, dig up pipe where their incompetence got it stuck - or they totally bullshitted her - said they put in a new section of pipe. I get home as they're throwing the last shovel of dirt on it and dickhead rooter dood says, "You know, you should really put in a cleanout there where we fixed it." I'm like," You fukking asshole, you were just there and could have done it." Costs me $1200 and is clogged a week later. Another dood shows up and says he cleaned it out - $100. Clogs the next day. I call them back and they send another asshole out who says I'll have to pay to have it done. That was when I pretty much lost it.

Went on YELP and tore these fukkers a new asshole in a review that outlined it all. Went to BBB and filed a complaint. Posted on their Facebook page. 3-4 weeks later, BBB calls, saying the owner can't take the heat and wants to know what I want to take down my reviews, etc., pretty much meaning cash. I say I want people to know what a piece of shit he is, that I'll get my moneys worth letting people know they shouldn't do business with this fuck, essentially doing their due diligence for them. BBB guy acted like I was the first person to ever say that.

^^^ the BBB is pretty much a scam
    nothing more than a shakedown for money
    they want money from business owners to regulate reviews and provide an "accreditation"
    they broker money deals between irrate customers and businesses to get rid of reviews
    it's the same as homeadvisor angies list saying they do backround checks on the people working in your house

For Salt Lake, Mill Creek Plumbing is the shit. Neering’s was very responsive and informative but they quoted me $11.5k for a partial repipe and a tankless water heater with relocate, plus they wanted to do a bunch more shit to a tune of around $30k. No way I’m redoing my water main till it fails, that shit’s insured.

Anyway, Mill Creek got me out the door for $6.5k (the low end of their quote) for the repipe and water heater. The new unit is beefier than what Neerings wanted to sell me and has a 25 year warranty.

Jordan also put a new head on my artesian well when I wanted to pour a driveway over it. Awesome final result on a tricky job for just a few $hundo.

Rescue Rooter just fucked my friend’s shit up bad. Poked a hole in her galvanized snaking her kitchen drain without realizing it. She started the dishwasher and went to bed... and flooded her basement suite. They came back and did a repipe for free but left her hangin with the cleanup and rehab downstairs.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

As shady as Rescue Rooter might be it’s hard to blame a plumber for worn out galvanized breaking. The house I had work on is old galvanized. It could break anytime.

Wait, was it Thomson or Thompson?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    As shady as Rescue Rooter might be it’s hard to blame a plumber for worn out galvanized breaking. The house I had work on is old galvanized. It could break anytime.
    For sure and I know this. Any good plumber should also know it and lay it out for the customer, and also know if they poked a hole in it before they call it good and leave.

To their credit, the guys I mentioned above, Mill Creek here in Salt Lake, told me they wouldn't touch mine without the go-ahead to replace it all if necessary. Mine was old-old and the issue at the time wasn't pressing so I got a couple bids on principle then had them do it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wait, was it Thomson or Thompson?

was one of those originally on my old install sticker , but the phone # answers "Service Experts"

will add that the manager called back..and was very nice/concerned they failed the service call/no charge

Mill Creek is great. Is Jordan the younger kid? He’s into mtb, good egg. I’ve also had great luck with Friendly Home Services. I was skeptical, but my MiL called em when I was out of town. They ended up being awesome. Would recommend.

Edit to add: Fuck those Thompson fucks right in their fuckin ear

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The younger guy is Spencer. He and Miguel did the recent work for me. And Miguel redid my kitchen sink pipes and redid my swamp cooler supply valve a while back.

Unrelated plumbing question. We are seasonal residents in Sandy, WI rest of year. I am shocked how many vent pipes I see coming out of roof's. We have a large 3000 sq foot home in WI and we have two, probably 3" diameter vent pipes for three bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen etc. Here I have seen as many as seven small diameter vent pipes, some within a couple of feet of each other through the roof. Why don't they run a manifold in the attic and vent them out a couple or three larger vents instead of poking a bunch of holes in the roof? In the Midwest we also pretty much use ridge venting for the attic not the metal vents that are placed a few feet below the ridge. I look at some homes and have counted up to 15 penetrations, to me that is 15 potential leaks. Is there a Salt Lake County / Utah building code that requires that each bathroom, kitchen sink, laundry tub have a dedicated vent? Makes no sense to me...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Unrelated plumbing question. We are seasonal residents in Sandy, WI rest of year. I am shocked how many vent pipes I see coming out of roof's. We have a large 3000 sq foot home in WI and we have two, probably 3" diameter vent pipes for three bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen etc. Here I have seen as many as seven small diameter vent pipes, some within a couple of feet of each other through the roof. Why don't they run a manifold in the attic and vent them out a couple or three larger vents instead of poking a bunch of holes in the roof? In the Midwest we also pretty much use ridge venting for the attic not the metal vents that are placed a few feet below the ridge. I look at some homes and have counted up to 15 penetrations, to me that is 15 potential leaks. Is there a Salt Lake County / Utah building code that requires that each bathroom, kitchen sink, laundry tub have a dedicated vent? Makes no sense to me...
    Some might be radon which it typically run right next to the plumbing stack.

As for the ridge vents and whatnot. This attics get hot in summer. I have seen some houses I think are overkill, but yeah ridge vents are used a lot more than other parts of the usa.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    as a roofer I assure you
    it rains more in the Midwest than the high desert
    and its way less humid
    so theres not as much need for ventilation and properly professionally flashed pentatrations don't leak
    theyre part of almost every roofing system
    spent Friday snaking out the laundry room basement bathroom room drain
    thankfully I didn't need to call any overpriced plumbers inaction man and his lame dog Thompson and Thomas or rescue rooter for stuff any competent man card carrying homeowner outta be able to deal with instead of creating another a whambulance bbb psa pos thread
    my going rate for labor on hot water heater installs is an ounce of skanky dank
    pm bmc for references
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Depending on code for the area, you may be limited on number of plumbing fixtures per vent, horizontal runs of venting, and certain requirements for wet venting. So a house with a few bathrooms, a powder room, kitchen, bar, radon vent, furnace vent, etc.. is going to have some penetrations in the roof. The good news is, if installed correctly the roof jack/flashing/vent is just another shingle and should not leak unless the roofer was completely retarded or negligent.

Roof vents (turtles) may be necessary in traditional roof framing/construction due to common walls/framing restricting the use of ridge vents. I prefer roof vents over ridge vents just because they're harder for roofers to screw up.