slightly crowned base from mounting screw

Went to mount a pair of skis and the base has a slight crown form the one of the mounting screws. Backed it out and a small dome still remains I can feel with a finger. Tried a few taps with a ball peen hammer and it's still there. Thinking about putting into a vice with a coin over it , pressuring with a socket or just a few hits with a file or sand down ? Am I overthinking this ?

Once they bulge it's hard to get them back to totally flat. Make sure to grind that screw down before reinserting. If a cold clamp doesn't work I've had occasional success holding some heat ( ie. a hair dryer on high) on the spot for a bit and then clamping a true bar or something flat.

If it's more like a pimple as opposed to a lipoma, I'll just flatten it with a well burnished metal scraper.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

You could just not worry about it and let the mountain give it a natural stone grind.

Or, pull the screw and grind it a bit shorter. Then here are a couple more tricks:

Place the ball end of a small ball peen hammer on the dimple and strike the face of the hammer with another hammer

Or use an old school C clamp that has a small enough screw end to just apply force to the dimple (while using a piece of scrap wood on the top sheet side)

Or if you only have bigger/modern clamps do the true bar method tr posted, but be careful of your edges (I'd put the bar lengthwise)

Try a hot wax while you push in the dimple
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Try a hot wax while you push in the dimple
    tried this move on valentine's day but she didn't appreciate it

Did that once.
    Used a blowtorch judiciously and a c clamp

Then a metal scraper.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Did that once.

Then a metal scraper.
    I would think she would appreciate that even less, but your woman is probably tougher then mine.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Just chisel it off.

The damage is done... now fix it and go skiing.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    tried this move on valentine's day but she didn't appreciate it
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Did that once.

Then a metal scraper.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I would think she would appreciate that even less, but your woman is probably tougher then mine.
    ROFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    If you want the base to look like this never happened: dismount the binding, force some gflex epoxy in the hole, clamp the base flat, let cure.

Next day redrill (just the hole you filled), tap and remount with correct-size screws.

Plenty of other just-fine approaches to this. It’s gonna be fine.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-24-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Punctuation, clarity of wording

We call it a "base titty." I pull out the screw, hit the titty with a hammer, grind the screw to proper length an reinsert, then scrape the base.

Is it actually the screw or did you use some type of expanding glue (eg. gorilla glue)? That can be a problem if too much glue is used.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    We call it a "base titty." I pull out the screw, hit the titty with a hammer, grind the screw to proper length an reinsert, then scrape the base.

Is that "we" referring to you and the voices in your head? What a weird descriptor for something that bears so little resemblance to a tit.

I had this happen to a pair of Volant Spatulas once mounted by a shop in Whistler once, but with like 14/16 screws (they were thin skis). I can't say I ever noticed a difference in how they skied, but I suppose that makes sense given when/where you would ski a Spatula. I think I sold them to someone on here, not sure if they're still going.

Make sure the hole isn't full of sawdust and grind down screw if necessary. You're probably gonna have to take some base material off with a sharp metal scraper or similar.
    And yeah, definitely don't use expanding glue. Just wood glue. If you're really worried about that hole, then some kind of slow cure, waterproof epoxy or JB weld.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Is that "we" referring to you and the voices in your head?
    Maybe. We’ll check and get back to you.

I manged to get rid of a dimple by removing the screw as soon as i realized what happened and doing a hot wax

I think if you wait till the epoxy has hardened it will hold up the dimple

and it will be a permanent pimple
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    What a weird descriptor for something that bears so little resemblance to a tit.
    Looks more like a tit (outie) than a dimple (innie)