Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Not much to report. Gone from the house during the day, no signs or smells of infiltration. Spent the whole day yesterday trying to neutralize odor and securing outside perimeter. It never sprayed but just the residual oils are the stank.

I still can't believe it didn't spray after getting more details from my daughter. The skunk was taunting the dog in the dining room, the dog was going nuts but the skunk retreated to the closet and just kind of scratched it's claws on the door. I think our psycho terrier, a gallon of ammonia, and thoroughly removing food and access, I'm faintly hoping to have defended my home...I have traps set up outside near previous access points. I will monitor and update if we catch any critters in the trap, this could be fun...

Have determined it to be a female spotted skunk, sure as hell hope she's not carrying, babies not rabies, seems pretty normal behavior. There was a control burn near by our house that I'm pretty sure disturbed her den and she found the next closest option. Pretty small with a big tail and no fucks given whatsoever...

Number 1 predator of skunks is the Great Horned Owl. Maybe you need to get a falconry permit and keep one around the house.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Great, he just got the stink out and now he’s got to buy an owl.
    I still call it The Jake.

Then he could run a side gig selling owl pellets!

Many years ago, I held a federal bird banding permit and targeted hawks and owls for banding. Climbed many trees to get to GHO nests. Every last one of them reeked of skunk. Every GHO I ever held from the wild reeked of skunk. Apparently they are either hungry, have no olfactory senses, or just NFG's.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Huh, this could explain why skunks are very rare around here. We always seem to have a pair of GHO hanging around. I see lots of owl pellets in the yard with shiny, colorful bands from migratory birds in them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9886.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	317408
    Saw This little feller peacefully taking the big sleep on my way to coffee last week. Didn’t appear injured so I’m guessing one of the neighbors is probably using raticide poison which sucks. Had a really nice pelt and didn’t smell at all. Definitely would have caught my grandfathers interest for a hearty road kill supper(if it had been road kill)

Back in wildlife school, I took a class in mammalogy. A large part of our grade was to collect mammals and prepare study skins for our college collection. I trapped bunches of stuff, but the cat dragged in a rather unusual animal called a least weasel. Not mangled and was worth a ton of points in the collection.

Now skunks, mink, badgers, AND WEASLES are in the Mustelidae family. Somehow I kind of overlooked that fact. I was in the dorm room and began skinning the least weasel to prepare it for a study skin. At some point, our room, and subsequently the entire end of our floor on the dorm became rather pungent. I had lots of unhappy friends fleeing. Me, I just finished the task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Back in wildlife school, I took a class in mammalogy. A large part of our grade was to collect mammals and prepare study skins for our college collection. I trapped bunches of stuff, but the cat dragged in a rather unusual animal called a least weasel. Not mangled and was worth a ton of points in the collection.

Now skunks, mink, badgers, AND WEASLES are in the Mustelidae family. Somehow I kind of overlooked that fact. I was in the dorm room and began skinning the least weasel to prepare it for a study skin. At some point, our room, and subsequently the entire end of our floor on the dorm became rather pungent. I had lots of unhappy friends fleeing. Me, I just finished the task at hand.
    UT? I had a roommate up there late 80s who took a class like that. We made him relocate the project to the deck of the apartment when the inside began to reek.

Stinker update?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    UT? I had a roommate up there late 80s who took a class like that. We made him relocate the project to the deck of the apartment when the inside began to reek.
    Tennessee Tech.