Painting Topsheets

Got some cheap skis with topsheets I don't think I'll be fond of. Was thinking of painting them black. Any recommendations on how to do so? I was thinking of sanding, primer, then spray paint, and maybe some sort of protective coating? I'm thinking this runs the risk of changing the characteristics of the ski, but nothing significant. Thoughts? Suggestions?

it will look great

until you scratch the paint

then it will look like ass

insted get a bunch of stickers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For less than $10 you can get a roll of adhesive backed vinyl (like oracal 651). Way less work, and won't kill the resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    For less than $10 you can get a roll of adhesive backed vinyl (like oracal 651). Way less work, and won't kill the resale value.
    +1 on this, or using automotive vinyl. For touring skis, I'd recommend high gloss white. I've seen this done before and it not only looks good, but does a great job at shedding snow. Don't go black or dark colors, unless you're in it for the leg workout.

I've painted a few pairs of skis, and vinyl wrapped a pair. No matter what you do, or how you paint them, they're going to chip a little. That's just the way she goes. If you paint a busier design on them (like I do) you don't really notice those chips / scratches at all. If you paint them just black, wear is gonna be obvious and gross.

I tried a vinyl wrap and HATED it. It was one of those ones specifically made for skis, it was a huge PITA to install, and then it started to peel immediately and got really beat up in like three ski days. Never doing that again.

Personally. I really don't understand covering up a graphic because you don't like it. What's on there that's so terrible? I'm all for adding your own personal look to gear, but you never end up with a really clean, professional product with any of the DIY versions.

This^^ cuz a painted ski will look like a painted ski, not like its a custom top sheet on a custom ski

its just a ski with paint on it so YMMV but I personaly don't think it's cool

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    This^^ cuz a painted ski will look like a painted ski, not like its a custom top sheet on a custom ski

its just a ski with paint on it so YMMV but I personaly don't think it's cool
    Yeah, I'd stay away from paint. I don't care much about topsheets, but my kid does. He has a vinyl cutter, exterior grade high quality vinyl and time, and he makes some pretty damn cool stickers/designs/detailing that he puts on skis. Seems to last a long time, and when it finally looks like shit, you peel it off and do it again. Any color you like.

I've painted a couple pairs of skis, and the only thing that didnt chip off and immediately look like shit has been textured truck bed paint from a rattle can. For sure added some weight, but I didnt care. I did an old pair of PEs with it to ski carpet laps with my kids and they were run over plenty with minimal damage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...SABEgIfrvD_BwE

i knew a guy at whistler who painted his skis but that was so nobody would steal them

same guy was famous for using the line with a customer at the glass house

" you have me at a disadvantage sir, I can't tell you to fuck-off "

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I've painted a couple pairs of skis, and the only thing that didnt chip off and immediately look like shit has been textured truck bed paint from a rattle can. For sure added some weight, but I didnt care. I did an old pair of PEs with it to ski carpet laps with my kids and they were run over plenty with minimal damage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...SABEgIfrvD_BwE
    How much added weight? I'd be doing it to wide skis that I may turn into touring skis. Bad idea?

Make them red
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

I duno if itcomes in bed but how about spray on truckbed liner ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I duno if itcomes in bed but how about spray on truckbed liner ?
    I was thinking the same thing. But I imagine that could change the flex of the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. But I imagine that could change the flex of the ski.
    I on the other hand was attempting a Pithy/Facetious comment but it appears I may have been too deadpan