Anyone ski the black crows anima freebird?

STP has the black crows anima freebird at a tempting price with the 25% off, but I can't find any reviews. Anyone ski them, fondle them, hear rumors about them?

It's my primary backcountry ski for the past three seasons. Have them mounted up with Tectons. They're fun.

Well that's encouraging given that I ski just south of you. Sounds like they're good on the up if they're your primary bc ride. How do they handle our famous sierra cement? Where do they land on the continuum of super soft jib ski to raging charger? Thanks for your feedback.

They’re light and softish but can handle a hard turn considering. Definitely not chargers but well balanced... especially since they’re for backcountry purposes.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I love mine, they float great, pivot easy, pretty light... I have Salomon tech binders on them and they are solid

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks, Tahoe and Ritalin, that's very helpful. Sound like they could be a good dedicated bc ski for the winter in the sierra. Anyone else with some experience, opinions, observations?

I just ordered a pair in 182. Sounds like I'll have the same setup as Ritalin. Curious to hear other opinions to see if I made the right choice. Either way I'll report back here as long as the skis are still available. It looks like BC discontinued them, which is why they're on sale everywhere.

Mounting question: where did you mount your bindings and how do you like them there? Would you go forward or back at all?

On the line. Happy with it.

I got on my Anima freebirds today for the first time. I’m 177, 5’9, traditionally directional skier. Skiing the Anima FBs in. 182 with maestrale RS 2.0 and Salomon MTNs. Mounted on that line (-6 from center)

Conditions were about 6-12 inches of low density snow on top of crust, windboard, and crust.

When it comes to the downhill, these skis are super floaty and loose in soft snow. Never had a problem with tip dive. If anything, the tips are so floaty that in certain conditions I felt like the tails slid out a bit because the it is so easy to pressure the tips. Overall this ski favors a centered, neutral stance. They are far from chargers. But they were plenty stable doing fast medium radius turns in both soft pow and windboard over pow. They love to pivot. As easy to pivot as my hojis, despite the camber under foot.

The main thing I noticed with these skis is how they just beg to be in the air and get tossed around. I’m not a particularly versatile free skier, but the ski feels like it wants to be spun or buttered off everything. I may have to go spend some time working on spins just so I can do these skis justice.

Main negative of the Anima FBs is the speed limit and the tail washout if you ski too far forward.

In terms of skinning I was expecting the relatively long tails to be cumbersome on kick turns. Had no such issue. The combination of longer tail (more weight on back of ski and more leverage) and tail rocker meant my tips stayed up on kickturns and my tails didn’t get caught.

I think I will be happy on the 182s, but if you’re taller than 5’10, like to open it up in the backcountry, and have the terrain to do so, I highly doubt the 188 will be too much ski. At my size, but for the weight and tail length, I’d prefer the 188. The 182 is a compromise, but touring gear is almost always a compromise.

It remains to be seen if this ski is versatile outside of soft snow. Its definitely a good option if you’re looking for a cheap fun playful backcountry pow ski.

I picked mine up on deal from STP. Seemed like my
    Active Junky cash back worked on top of the coupon, FWIW.

Samski360 -

I also have the Hoji's (mounted) and the Anima FB (un-mounted). I'm not crazy about the Hoji but curious if you could compare it with the Anima.

I'm looking for a 115+ BC-specific ski that isn't too soft.

Matt - I have a pair of older Hojis (187cm 2015ish) that I can compare. Since my review I got another week on the Anima FBs last March, before the pandemic really hit.

Overall, for me, I think the anima is a more versatile ski than the hoji. I think the camber under foot allows better edge grip, and the skis feel more energetic. The animas are an absolute blast in powder and I loved them in the trees. That being said, they’re definitely fairy softer than my 2015ish Hojis.

If you’re a more traditional style skier, you may like the anima better.

The hojis to me feel very maneuverable, but not very energetic. I like the feeling of loading up a ski like a spring, and I feel that much more with the anima than the hoji.

One thing that is similar to me is both skis want to squirt out from under you if get caught in the back seat.

Not sure if that helped at all but If you have more specific questions I’d be happy to try to answer them.

Anyone skiing the anima freebird at +1 from recommended? Considering remounting with a kingpin and have to go a little forward with the mount. Curious to hear any opinions. I know the blister guys skied the standard Anima forward and liked it, but that was on the 188.

Anima Freebird 2019

I just bought a pair of Anima Freebirds to be my only touring ski. Worried they may be a bit wide at 115, but the good days will be all the better.

I'll report back once I ride them. Planning to just buck up for the Shifts to put on em.

If it’s your only touring ski... and not a resort ski at all, I’d get lighter bindings than the shifts. Tectons, ATK’s, ions, whatever.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

These have been my dedicated pow touring ski for the last several seasons. I am in love with them. Even with minimal new snow or spring corn conditions (anything soft) at the larger width, they are incredibly light (with Dynafits) and still handle variable snow fairly well. With tech bindings they are not very damp, but they are very predictable and have a huge sweet spot, even in shitfuck snow, which arguably might be even more important. I’ve been wanting the same ski in a ~108 width, and while you would save some weight and gain edge hold, you would give up some of the loose-ness and ability to slarve turns with ease, so pick your poison. I’m not totally convinced the small weight benefit would be enough to justify. Regarding the mount, I’m on the line or maybe back slightly, I see no benefit to going forward at all personally. The skis are plenty loose on the line and IMO it would only make the rockered tails more annoying to deal with touring. If you really want something to ski switch or do flippy spinny stuff on you should probably be on a different ski, like an ON3P Jeffrey Tour or something. Also, FYI the freebird skis pretty differently than the regular version, it is MUCH softer and more forgivable. I was surprised how different they are.

Skied them for a few B.C. seasons around Rev/Rogers. Surprisingly nimble and quick given their girth. Mounted with Salomon mtn tech bindings they were a pretty light/fun setup. Ultimately sold them as I could fold them in half if I really pushed them and got tired of the tails folding up when landing. I’m 165 pounds and keep airs 20 ft and under if that helps.

I recently remounted with kingpins at + 1cm. I usually prefer a more traditional mount point, but I notice no discernible loss in tip float, and the tails feel much more supportive on drops and steeper terrain. I have not skied them in super deep pow with the new mount yet; 12in is the deepest so far. Kick turns are a little more of a chore. Overall I think that adding something like a kingpin to these skis dramatically improves their already excellent playful pow personality. Was previously skiing them with MTNs which I love on other skis, but less so on Anima FB.