Thread: End of a Flexon

End of a Flexon

Hi TGR, long time not much ski and no post. So last week I was shuffling across a flattish area near the top of a lift when my foot came out of the ski, because this had happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	316275

For some reason I decided to bring these old Raichle Flexons on a trip, perhaps because I haven't skied much lately and they are light and comfortable, or were. Obviously that was pushing it too far.

These boots, of course, are ancient and don't owe me anything, but I'm curious about whether it's possible to inspect the cracked surface to figure out where the crack initiated and if it had already started before I got on snow - that is, could I have found it by inspecting my gear more carefully?

I know a bit about what fatigue failure looks like in cracked metal surfaces, but not sure that applies to plastic. I actually have another pair of Flexon shells, but now not sure I should use them. (I do have newer boots, honest.)

More pics etc available if anyone wants.

The fact that they are pink should have been a red flag

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Hi TGR, long time not much ski and no post. So last week I was shuffling across a flattish area near the top of a lift when my foot came out of the ski, because this had happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	316275

For some reason I decided to bring these old Raichle Flexons on a trip, perhaps because I haven't skied much lately and they are light and comfortable, or were. Obviously that was pushing it too far.

These boots, of course, are ancient and don't owe me anything, but I'm curious about whether it's possible to inspect the cracked surface to figure out where the crack initiated and if it had already started before I got on snow - that is, could I have found it by inspecting my gear more carefully?

I know a bit about what fatigue failure looks like in cracked metal surfaces, but not sure that applies to plastic. I actually have another pair of Flexon shells, but now not sure I should use them. (I do have newer boots, honest.)

More pics etc available if anyone wants.
    Take comfort in the fact that you can get the exact same shell brand new right now. If you like those liners and liked your fit just throw em in a new fulltilt shell. Literally the same molds as formed those raichles.

Save all the parts! All your buckles and cables and tongues...

The ronald mcdonald era flexons were the ugliest boots ever, and thus spectacular.

pink flag actualy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Don’t know about finding initial point of failure, but go ahead and take your liner out, go out in your driveway and throw the shell down on the concrete. Then sweep up all the little pieces after it explodes. That’s not a single-point failure, the plastic is all compromised. Oxidation on the surface is not a good sign but doesn’t mean it’s going to blow up, and I’ve seen plenty that weren’t milky that the sole ripped off anyway. Great excuse to buy new shit.

what binding on the ski? I'd bet the act of stepping in caused the initial failure (well that, age and UV corruption)
    look on the bright side you got decades of use out of them, some people have Tecnica sandals after a couple of months use
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Get some Roxa RX130s; I did after 35 years of flexons and could not be happier. Fantastic boots.

FWIW, my 15 year old son shattered a pair we got, possibly because they had set in the sun /direct light. I have other pairs easily 30 years old, but I keep them in the garage next to the wine.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Went to dalbello ax120 after many years on FT Seths. Fit better and flex good

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Same thing happened to me on a pair of OG Dalbello Krypton Pros. Couldn't figure out why my heel felt so loose in the clamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Great boots. My condolences

Thanks for the responses! To clarify the most important issue, they were actually Ronald McDonald red and yellow, the photo's lighting made them look pinker than actual. Also, I have curly reddish (sorta) hair, a big nose, and scare small children. Maybe I should ski in a yellow fartbag.

Obviously, the boot "literally exploded" (as Phil Liggett used to say about the peloton, if you ever watched the Tour de France). My question about identifying where the failure might have initiated, was kind of trying to understand if I should have been able to find a pre-existing crack by inspecting the boots beforehand. I don't put huge loads on outdoor / sporting gear, but I do sometimes use it past a reasonable point of retirement.

The bindings were nothing special, Salomon S912 Ti. I had to do the usual binding adjustments to fit the boots a few days earlier, so they had been clicked in and out a few times. I did not actually try to trigger a release from the bindings as a test. That amount of force might have blown up the boots at home, which would have been useful, but how often do people actually dry-test heel releasing at home? It seems like a good way to fall on your head.

Good point that there are choices in 3 piece boots - Full Tilts or Kryptons may be in my near future.

I’m surprised the flexons blew up before the heel tracks on those 912tis.

Yup. I had a well loved pair of black Flexons that shattered after the first run about two years ago when entering the lodge and stomping off excess snow. Many little pieces.

Aquaseal
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Shoe goo?
    Dude, Aqua Seal. smh

I have some 293mm FT's if you need them

take them back to REI for a refund

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    I’m surprised the flexons blew up before the heel tracks on those 912tis.
    potd
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Well, if my TGR epithet is "too soft to break 912Tis." I can't argue.

Mntlion, thanks for the suggestion - I have big clompers, these were 326mm. Getting my paws on a pair of lightly used Kryptons in my size, so we'll see how that goes.

I luv me sum Kryptons
    watch out for snakes