Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I think it's the only thing that local thrift stores wont take. Maybe mattresses and underwear? We do have a couple of days a year where you can dump them for free though.
    Yeah, jesus, the last non flat screen TV I had Goodwill wouldn't even take, and that was what, 2002?

If I remember right, beat on it with your fist for ten seconds, that should fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Around here people leave stuff by the side of the road labelled "Free". Amusing how long the CRT TV's sit there--just about any other kind of junk will disappear but the TV's will be there until covered by snow and destroyed by the first plow of the season.
    About 15 years ago I helped my buddy carry an old 40" CRT TV out of his basement. You know the really big TV of that era. It took 3 of us to carry it up the stairs and out to the curb. We left it on the curb and listed it for "FREE". It sat there for 4 days, and after the 4th day his wife told me if it was not gone by Saturday I'd have to help her husband take it to the dump.
    I was not going to lift that fucker 2 more times. So I bet her a nice bottle of Scotch I could make sure it was gone in 1 day.
    I put a "$150" sign on the TV and it was gone the next morning. Someone thought it was valuable and stole it from the curb overnight.
    I never told them my trick, but they were both amazed it was taken the very next day.

I think it's the only thing that local thrift stores wont take. Maybe mattresses and underwear? We do have a couple of days a year where you can dump them for free though.

I took a bunch of electronics to the Town of Avon "recycle day" thinking I was doing a good cause. It cost me $172 in fees.

2020 called and wants your film equipment.
    I think I may have a film camera in the attic. Got film?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I do! Analog photography is still very much a thing. A niche thing, but a thing. If you've got good film photography equipment it's worth something. Don't donate it to Goodwill.

I’ve got an extra vcr and trinitron 28 (screen size and weight) you can have for the price of shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I sure do. I even bulk roll my own. Whatcha got?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I do! Analog photography is still very much a thing. A niche thing, but a thing. If you've got good film photography equipment it's worth something. Don't donate it to Goodwill.
    No it's not. There's way too many film cameras out there to make up for this silly hipster thing.

Can anyone diagnose why my Sony Betamax isn’t tracking right?

I know, I should upgrade to VHS, but I have all these great tapes already
    . . .

Good stuff. Definitely something I don't miss from my childhood. I remember that feeling of dread when the picture started shrinking and you knew the tube was starting to go bad.
    Yup and it would take forever to shut down, that white dot would be there for a while. My dad must have replaced the tubes on our 1964 RCA a half dozen times before finally giving up. We went color in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No it's not. There's way too many film cameras out there to make up for this silly hipster thing.
    Well, you're wrong as usual.

Well, you're wrong as usual.
    Well, I have a Canon T90 with four lenses in excellent shape. I'll take 500 bucks for the whole shebang. Would have been a good deal in 2000.

Well, I have a Canon T90 with four lenses in excellent shape. I'll take 500 bucks for the whole shebang. Would have been a good deal in 2000.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-90-s-C...wAAOSw9-Zd3z3i

Lots of T90 bodies and T90 bodies with 50mm lens going for $100-$200.

Who's buying them?

I really do not get the stupidity of shooting film. And I hand processed E3 in 1976. It's absurd. It's like a snowboarder hitting the resort on a Snurfer, or a skier taking out fifty year old skis on a powder day, but worse.

Who's buying them?

I really do not get the stupidity of shooting film. And I hand processed E3 in 1976. It's absurd. It's like a snowboarder hitting the resort on a Snurfer, or a skier taking out fifty year old skis on a powder day, but worse.
    No, it's using a traditional method to produce art. A CNC machine can probably produce a hell of a statue, but some people would rather chisel it out by hand.

There are plenty of reasons that digital photography blows film photography away, yet film photography is still fun for some. It's about the process. It's kind of like saying "why would anyone ever choose to walk somewhere when there are cars?"

You know what's really absurd? A lot of these film hipsters have their finished film scanned, or, digitized after its processed. Duh.

I own a Fuji XT20, which blows away anything shot on film, (35mm) and is much much more versatile. Fuck, the newer phones are better.

I still shoot film on occasion, but almost exclusively medium format. Shooting with 35mm does seem like a bit of a waste of time, but some people seem to like it.

I'd tell you to go get some VHS cleaner but Punani's sister told me all the bodegas in SF that advertise 'VHS Cleaner' actually use that as a code to sell amyl nitrate aka poppers to the gay community.

You can put alcohol on a Q tip and clean the heads on the VHS yourself. Don't ask for VHS cleaner at your local bodega unless you have already come out and love the rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Probably interference from the new 5G installed by Huawei at your local cell tower.

Or aliens.

Seriously, doesn't anyone remember how to open up their VCR, and with a cotton swap and a little alcohol, clean the heads? Or blow the dust out of the back of your CRT TV, cause your tubes are overheating. Either that or your connections are fracked. Digital just dies, but analogue cables die slowly. Try a new coaxial cable. You still know how to slice a new one, right?
    Very few here have any experience with TV's with tubes other than the picture tube. Transistor TV's have been around since 1960. But thanks for reminding me it's time for me to blow the dust out of my tube amps. (I have one 64 Fender that still has some of the original tubes.)

Your thoughts about cables got me thinking though. We live in an increasingly wireless world, with all sorts of information, pictures, music, conversations, just floating around in the air. All that stuff must be getting into our brains without us knowing it. Who knows what effects it might be having on our thinking, other than causing brain cancer of course. Think of all the propaganda the Russians, Chinese, Iranians, et al, must be spreading through the air to an unsuspecting public. It could explain Trump. I am calling for an immediate end to all wireless technology. Keep data inside the wires where it belongs.

As far as the $30 CRT tvs, that's what they will pay you to haul it away.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I'd tell you to go get some VHS cleaner but Punani's sister told me all the bodegas in SF that advertise 'VHS Cleaner' actually use that as a code to sell amyl nitrate aka poppers to the gay community.

You can put alcohol on a Q tip and clean the heads on the VHS yourself. Don't ask for VHS cleaner at your local bodega unless you have already come out and love the rainbow.
    Now THIS is the kind of quality advice that keeps me hanging around here!

I mean, really......you are the one in a million who actually has a VHS to clean. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I mean, really......you are the one in a million who actually has a VHS to clean. lol.
    I remember reading the last manufacturer finally quit making VCRs like a year ago or so, so there's still lots of them out there mostly collecting dust!

Guess with all that dust, advertising VHS cleaner is almost plausible.....

If you have something with an RCA out, you can get an adapter to at least test. Plug in TopGun for the old NES?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-CRF90...SABEgLlevD_BwE

My money is on the VCR at -180, Would take TV at +250 but guessing that rn it’s only paying closer to -110.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I sure do. I even bulk roll my own. Whatcha got?
    An N6006 with 3 lenses. I used it last in 2017 for the eclipse. It has zero value, so I've kept it for sentimental reasons. I found about 5 rolls of 20+ year old slide film cleaning out my dads estate, I threw it away, didn't want to risk it being bad and going through the time and expense shooting it. It's a completely different mindset shooting film than digital

And I still have 3 VCR's, just in case...I used one a few months ago, holy baby jebus that's some shit quality video...