Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Arrow Nordica Enforcers - TGR-Enough for Their Own Thread

Nordica Enforcer Line Overview

I really like this line of skis, but it seems like there isn't a centralized thread where they have been discussed. This is my attempt to make that happen and share some of my insights since I have a lot of time on most of the Enforcer models.

================================================== ================================================== =====

Skier Stats: 46-yo, 195-lbs, 5’ 8”, been skiing since age 5

Skier Style: Never been a racer. Grew up with a family ski shop as a shop rat. Used to poach the half-pipe and terrain park when only snowboarders were allowed back in the day. Beat the heck out of my knees and body sessioning the park for hours on end for too many years. Love deep pow. Prefer big fast turns over quick ones. Ski in the PNW so I need skis that handle heavy mank, feel loose in deep conditions, and are quiet at speed whether on groomers or places like the Whistler alpine. Still love ripping fast groomers on a sunny, bluebird day.

Skis I’ve Liked: 2014 Billy Goat (186; best BG ever!!), Current BG/SG (189/193), Rustler 11 (188), Bonafide (180-187), C&D (189), Volkl V-Werks Katana (184), Just about every Mantra (184), OG Cochise (185), OG Squad 7 (190), Dynastar Legend Pro XXL (187), Volkl Shiro (193, super fun and surfy pow ski), Salomon Q-Lab (190)…I’ve owned over 100 pair of skis, so not sure if it is a hobby or a habit anymore. 😊

Ski’s I’ve Disliked: Nordica El Capo (may be the worst ski ever), Rustler 10 (188; may be the second worst ski ever), Carbon-tipped Cochise (185, too one-dimensional), OG Billy Goat (total crap, I feel bad for people who thought that was a good ski), rockered Gotama (186, dead and boring)

Enforcer 100 – 185-cm (2016-2020)

The now seen at ski resorts everywhere Enforcer 100, first started as just the “Enforcer”, calling upon the former fan favorite, but the new model is more forgiving and better off-piste. I’ve spent the most time on this model versus the other Enforcer skis, so I thought I would start here and use it as a reference point. This ski sits somewhere between a Rossi Soul 7 and skis like the Blizzard Bonafide or Volkl Mantra. It has more backbone than the Soul 7 but is nearly as easy and effortless to ski, calling into doubt the Rossi’s title of “the pinnacle of ski design”, while being not as demanding as the Bonafide or Mantra but capable of handling the same terrain and conditions at a similarly high performance level.

I bought these as my all-mtn “dad skis” for when I would ski with my children who still prefer to spend most of the day on blue groomers. I love that I can ski them at slower speed without them feeling cumbersome, but can also open it up and lay trenches when the opportunity presents itself. They have great edge hold, are easy to turn, and have a tail that that can be broken loose with little effort (they don’t have to stay locked into a carve). The tip rocker floats well in <6-8” of fresh snow and the slight tail rocker provides a hit of looseness in the same conditions. As the Blister guys say, the Enforcer 100 is just barely damp enough and provides just enough suspension to help filter out most rough terrain.
    The 100 has a speed limit, but only the strongest skiers will find it. The smaller radius can feel hooky at times in spring or heavy soft snow/pow. Also, some might find the tail soft and a little lacking of energy. The 100 skis a bit short with the amount of tip and tail rocker (IMO), so size up. I have often thought that I may prefer the 193 length and larger radius, but here in the PNW, I tend to steer away from the longest lengths since we ski tight trees and close quarters so often.

As it turns out, the Enforcer 100 is more than just a good dad ski and I am pleasantly surprised with how many great days I have had on these skis over the past several seasons.

Nordica Enforcer 93 – 185-cm (2017-2020)

The Enforcer 93 has been touted as the “east coast Enforcer”, and until the 88 showed up in the line this year, I felt that it was a perfect description. I finally tried the Enforcer 93 last year at Whistler when we ended up with no new snow and all I had were my Blizzard Rustler 11’s. I expected the 93 to be quicker edge to edge and have better edge grip than the 100, but what I didn’t expect, and was pleasantly surprise to feel, was a stiffer and more supportive tail. It’s that tail and the slightly narrower build that make the Enforcer 93 feel like a little more ski than the Enforcer 100. They aren’t quite as adept in soft snow conditions as the 100, but that is to be expected. I feel like the 93 wants to ski fast just a little bit more than the 100, but both as still very accessible and forgiving skis. I could really see the Enforcer 93 being a great 2-quiver complement to the bigger brother, Enforcer 110.

Nordica Enforcer 110 – 191-cm

I owned the Nordica Helldorado in a 185-cm length for a few years. It was a fun stop on the path of ski makers to refine rocker, width, and layups combinations to provide the world the elusive quiver of one ski. The Helldo laid down some pretty solid carves on groomers with the 18.5-m radius despite the 113-mm waist. The rocker made it float in powder and kept the tail loose in deep snow, despite the tighter radius sidecut. The ski was stiff underfoot and that help with edge purchase and pushing through denser snow. Downsides were that the tips and tails were fairly soft compared to mid-section of the ski and it was HEAVY. Not just a little bit…more like one of the heaviest skis around. So why bring up a ski like the Helldorado when I’m talking about the Enforcer 110? Well, it’s because the 110 feels like Nordica took the best parts of that Helldo, stripped away the problems, and came up with one helluva do-it-all ski.

The Enforcer 110 wins ski magazine rewards year after year because it is a great ski. I’ve heard some people say that it is a fatter Enforcer 100 for powder, and I would agree that is mostly true. The Enforcer 110 shares the accessible and forgiving nature of the 100 and puts it into a package that floats better in deep snow, is very loose in deep snow, is damper, is more stable, and yet is somehow more fun. As has been noted in other reviews, it is probably the best carving 110-mm waisted ski out there. Even with the generous rocker in the tail, it rails. Much like the Enforcer 100, it falls short of the totally composed nature of a Bonafide or Mantra, but for most skiers, it will be plenty stable on groomers at fairly high speed.

In deep-ish powder (<18”), the Enforcer 110 is a very capable ski, although wider skis (like the Enforcer 115 Free/Pro) handle these conditions better. The ample tip rocker floats easily and the tail rocker keeps them loose and agile. I find the 191 length incredibly agile and maneuverable in tight spots and trees. Not ON3P Billy Goat quick, but a close second. I recently skied the Enforcer 110 at Stevens Pass where 10” dropped the 24-hours before, but the snow report stated no new snow overnight. When we arrived, we found out that they had under reported some magic that had dropped on the upper section of the mountain and that another 8-10” had fallen overnight. These would typically be Billy Goat conditions, but I had packed my Enforcer 110’s. Bummer. After my first lap on the backside, despite giving up some float, I was blown away how perfect the 110’s felt in these conditions. I was slashing and popping off everything like I can on my Billy Goats, but on a ski with a 20.5-m radius and two sheets of metal (albeit thinner sheets). I can butter the tails and ski almost as fast in tight quarters as I can on my BG’s. Outside of my beloved Billy Goats, the Enforcer 110 is the most fun ski I have been on in some time. I absolutely love it!

So, what are the Enforcer 110’s shortcomings? There aren’t many, but if I am willing to be nitpicky, I would have to say that it come down to the Enforcer 110 still being an Enforcer at heart and falling short of the total crusher personality of skis like the OG Cochise or Katana. The Enforcer still has a speed limit, has a radius that is too small for hard chargers (especially at big western resorts), and may lack the “throw me into the backseat” release of energy some people want out of a 110-mm waisted ski with metal. I’m glad I sized up and went with the 191 and 20.5-mm turn radius. It’s my new daily driver here at Stevens Pass in the PNW and I haven’t had a bad day on them yet.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

(Reserved for forthcoming reviews)

Nordica Enforcer 115 Pro/Free – 191-cm

Nordica Enforcer 104 Free – 186-cm
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Nordica Enforcers - TGR-Enough for Their Own Thread

Brilliant thread. Space reserved for my 110 and 100 input.

Me 5’10” 160 can actually carve a ski.

100 185cm, skied about 4-5 runs groomers and bumps, no powder. I liked this ski allot, great edge grip, although it does have a short edge. Not too noticeable when doing carved turns but quick fall line turns you can’t really power the turn too much otherwise they come right across the fall line and hence you don’t get much back from them. Also felt a tiny bit hooky in the tips which I now attribute to the tune, see 110 notes. Great in the bumps. Carved turns with tight radius are just super fun. I would have bought this ski in a 191 but thought the 193 was just getting a bit big.

110 191cm, bought this ski without skiing it as it came in a 191 vs 193. I always mount with demo marker bindings so started at about +1 given the length. Mistake! Went over the bars on my first run ever on them after hitting a 10” wind drift. I also skied them straight out of the plastic and they we super hooky. Luckily I had a gummi stone with me and that helped a bit. Had a fun day in 5” fresh but certainly didn’t mesh with them.

Take 2! Mounted on the line or maybe a tiny bit back, I have to check (checked and I’m at -4mm). Aggressive detune to about 1/2-1” past contact point with a 100 grit stone. I have about 8-9 days on these now mostly groomer skiing as not a load of snow here recently so I’ll start there. Skis allot like the 100’s basically. I’m guessing with the added rocker of the 110 the 191 110 and 185 100 have similar effective edge lengths. So basically all my comments on the 100 apply here. Great ski, easy but very fun. Not a load of energy in short turns but grippy. Carved turns using the radius the ski will hang on as long as you want it to, but you can break the tail loose as needed. Not much kick out of the carve but a real solid connected feel. At moderate to fast speeds the ski is just great. When you really start moving the ski is just a tiny bit nervous. Just enough that you really know you need to pay attention to what’s ahead. It won’t just crush everything it comes to, you have to pilot it and make adjustments.

I’ve also had a 3-5” day and a 5”-8” day on them. In the shallower powder the skis are really really fun. Maneuverable and floaty. I had a loads of fun in soft bumps and trees finding little stashes and making the best of the conditions. Then jumping back onto fresh soft groomers to lay some rail tracks. This really highlights what this ski is good at, would make a great travel ski. I think the extra width of the 110 gives you a few more bottomless turns in stashes than the 100. But that’s just a guess.

In the slightly deeper snow, again I haven’t had them in really deep they again ski great. Lots of fun. Letting them run though open powder you again have to be alert. They are not stiff enough to just run though inconsistencies in the snow and need to be piloted. But trees, glades etc they are fantastic. Very intuitive and with the detune I did absolutely no hookiness. They go where you want, float and slarve and leave you with a grin.

They don’t love to make big fast turns in open powder as they have a tighter turn radius and a softer flex. They will do it but they kind of encourage you to shorten the turns radius and ski with a bit more pop than power if that makes sense. Not a bad thing just something to be aware of depending on what you are looking for. Since moving to the mount on the line I’ve had no problem with tip dive. Overall I really enjoy this ski in soft snow. Noodling around and finding what you can. But given a big open bowl of fresh I might wish to be on another ski.

That’s all I have for now. I’d like to ski the 104 as it might help have a little more power in the soft snow. I’m really interested in next years 100 in a 191 that will have that little longer edge and more powerful construction. But I do love the float of the 110. As I said it’s really a great 1 ski quiver if you appreciate having a wider ski to take advantage of any fresh and you really don’t give up much to the 100’s on groomers.

I’ll update if o have further thoughts.
    Last edited by CaliBrit; 02-17-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Yes indeed brilliant thread. Just waiting for the 110's to come down a little in price. pivots off the q labs waiting.

Thanks, Bandit. Still haven't mounted my ASO score 110s. Keep thinking I want something narrower for my DD like a Woodsman 108 or the new Cochise 106, but I'm leaning towards just mounting them and giving them a shot.

I demo'd the enforcer 100 at Whistler last season and really enjoyed it. It felt like it really wanted speed though and I was looking for something I could cruise with various skill levels with, so I ended up passing on it for the QST 99, which was billed as a bit more playful version of the enforcer 100. A little regret now that I've realized I enjoy skiing less playfully and more charger-y, and would definitely recommend to friends.

Like you, I bought a pair of Enforcer 100s to chase my kid around. I, too, have been surprised. They are fun and usable nearly all the time. I even splurged and go the DPS Phantom treatment for them at Evo... they are the one pair I can throw on top of the car and have at the ready, pretty much no matter what. Don't even have to think about it or check snow reports..

Having said that, I just tried K2 Mindbenders (in a 108 so not really apples to apples to what I own) and seemed to enjoy them even more. Forgiving, playful, no real speed limit that I could find. I'm wondering if anyone here has compared the K2 Mindbender in a 98ti to the Enforcer 100 (or the bigger width-similar models). Just curious...

Nice work Bandit.
    I've had bunch of Blizzards over the last few years and like you have been underwhelmed by the Cochise. Thought it was just OK.
    Recently picked up the Enforcer 110 at $499 from Ptex1. Feels like a winner at that slot in the quiver.

Probably picking up a set of 104s soon, any advice on mounting location? Was thinking +2.5 or +3 from rec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Justin.Gough View Post
    Probably picking up a set of 104s soon, any advice on mounting location? Was thinking +2.5 or +3 from rec
    Have you skied them? Unless you weigh 125 and are getting the 186? Planning on using them a lot in the park?

I skied the 179 at rec and it was $money$ - 5'8" and 170.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Have you skied them? Unless you weigh 125 and are getting the 186? Planning on using them a lot in the park?

I skied the 179 at rec and it was $money$ - 5'8" and 170.
    I plan on getting the 179 I’m 5’10” 150. I’m thinking a little more forward not bc of park but bc I do spend a good bit of time in the air flipping and spinning. Just curious if anyone had mounted it forward and what their experience was.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    Like you, I bought a pair of Enforcer 100s to chase my kid around. I, too, have been surprised. They are fun and usable nearly all the time. I even splurged and go the DPS Phantom treatment for them at Evo... they are the one pair I can throw on top of the car and have at the ready, pretty much no matter what. Don't even have to think about it or check snow reports..

Having said that, I just tried K2 Mindbenders (in a 108 so not really apples to apples to what I own) and seemed to enjoy them even more. Forgiving, playful, no real speed limit that I could find. I'm wondering if anyone here has compared the K2 Mindbender in a 98ti to the Enforcer 100 (or the bigger width-similar models). Just curious...
    Just bought the mindbender 99ti in 184. I’ll report back.

I’m 6’2”/175 and have 186cm Enforcer 104 since last February and owned the 185cm 93 too. I have the 104 mounted plus 2cm and found it more playful, easier to pivot and more balanced in the air there. No urge to go further forward than that though. Had my 93s on the line and they were good there.

Do feel there was a big difference in swing weight between the 104 and the 93 with the 104 having their new True Tip design as well as the 104 feeling more damp with the Carbon Chassis(Carbon strips added). The 104 was 100 grams heavier, yet it felt lighter than the 93.

I mention this as the new 2021 Enforcer 100 and the new 94 both have these construction techniques now. The reviews on the 2021 models have been very positive on how much more playful they feel with their lighter swing weight, yet the Enforcer 94 and 100 have actually GAINED 100-150grams per ski over the previous models. The 186cm 100 is over 2300 grams now and the 186cm 94 is in the 2275g range. The tail on the 100 stiffer now but still not as flat tail as the 94 or 88. They slightly changed their core construction so maybe that’s where the weight gain is coming from but not sure. Rocker profile changed slightly too and the profile varies depending on length.

So the new 2021 94 and 100 should be more damp, more stable yet feel easier to maneuver at lower speeds than the old models. The sidecut still similar, so like mentioned before is a little low for high speed charging but the added weight should help it in crud etc. I sold my 93s as I liked my 104s much better but pondering adding a 186cm 94 as I think it should be noticeably better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin.Gough View Post
    I plan on getting the 179 I’m 5’10” 150. I’m thinking a little more forward not bc of park but bc I do spend a good bit of time in the air flipping and spinning. Just curious if anyone had mounted it forward and what their experience was.

Don’t mount forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Don’t mount forward.
    To each his own but I agree. YMMV but if I could remount without redrilling I would have gone back. The line seems forward as is, but Im not the flippy spinny type. 186 104 frees for reference.

I do wonder if the 104 would fix everything vs the 110 for me. Maybe I’ll look for some 191’s cheap. We’ll see how the mindbenders ski.

I’m 5’11” 155-160 lbs and ski the 186 104s on the line. I can see the argument to mount 1-2 cm forward to make them a bit quicker in bumps, but I find them plenty pivoty at the line and am in no hurry to remount.

If there’s anything I don’t love about the ski, it’s that I think they’re not quite stiff enough when skiing really fast, and I imagine mounting forward would make that slight issue worse.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bandit Man can you add opinion on how the mantra 102 compares to the enforcers? I know you liked them.

Agree that I’d only mount an Enforcer 104/110 forward of the line if you were more of a freestyle biased skier used to more forward mounts on your other skis. The 104 actually has the furthest back mount(8.9cm) of the whole series with all the other Enforcers .5 to .7cm more forward. So those used to the commonly recommended -1cm back on the 93/100 are pretty close to the factory 104 line.

Also found the edges and bases on my Enforcers and Rustlers weren’t flat from the factory and needed stone grinding. Edge high seems to be very common on these skis which is the reason mine seemed very grabby tip/tail. I also had base high sections underfoot which made them nervous feeling over variable terrain. A few stone grinder passes, edges redone and they were transformed. Can now runs my edges sharp tip to tail with a 1/3 edge with no detuning and they grip when I want and easily pivot when I don’t.

Quite stable now but they still don’t like going straight as much as I’d like. The 2021 94/100 versions have slightly decreased the turning radius which is too bad it’s not the other way around.

I know they are narrow for these parts, but any thoughts on the 88? I recently started skiing a pair on east coast hard pack. 186's. Mounted on the line.

I find this interesting, as my tails seem grabby to the point of being a bit dangerous (strong word?) sometimes. I will have to take a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Also found the edges and bases on my Enforcers and Rustlers weren’t flat from the factory and needed stone grinding. Edge high seems to be very common on these skis which is the reason mine seemed very grabby tip/tail. I also had base high sections underfoot which made them nervous feeling over variable terrain. A few stone grinder passes, edges redone and they were transformed. Can now runs my edges sharp tip to tail with a 1/3 edge with no detuning and they grip when I want and easily pivot when I don’t.

Nordica Enforcers - TGR-Enough for Their Own Thread

Agree that I’d only mount an Enforcer 104/110 forward of the line if you were more of a freestyle biased skier used to more forward mounts on your other skis. The 104 actually has the furthest back mount(8.9cm) of the whole series with all the other Enforcers .5 to .7cm more forward. So those used to the commonly recommended -1cm back on the 93/100 are pretty close to the factory 104 line.

Quite stable now but they still don’t like going straight as much as I’d like. The 2021 94/100 versions have slightly decreased the turning radius which is too bad it’s not the other way around.
    I’ll have a look at mine and report. Might also go back a few mm more on the mount.

I wish I would have checked this before selling my 93s. Hindsight I would bet I was rail high and didn't know it. Always had some funky "grabby" feel at inopportune times.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

I had that grabby hooky feel with my 93s. Then, I de-tuned the the tips, and that went away. Still, they are pretty tame skis. When I ski them, I almost feel as if I am cheating. They are very easy to ski on groomers, up to 3-4" of fresh snow, moguls and small amounts of crud. No use skiing them in anything else, though.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I always look at base flatness before tuning anything now and sometimes they don’t need too much work and others need a stone grind to get flat.
    Check with a true bar with light behind it or even a wax scrapper for flatness. If they don’t look too bad, I’ll check for smaller edge high spots by dragging a bastard file flat along the base fairly lightly(on a 45 degree angle so the file isn’t bending) and check for edge areas that are “catching” the file. Move tip to tail over the area, cleaning the file often till it no longer catches and glides easily over that spot. Not uncommon for skis to have a few “catching” areas. I do this check after stone grinds too if the ski required one in case there were edge high spots created during the grind. Then set your desired base and side edge angles.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    No use skiing them in anything else, though.
    Might have been pushing my luck, but the 88's handled a couple turns in 6" of powder with no ill effects. Maybe it's the bulbous head?