Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Some can be run backwards (Doppelmayr and Yan, for instance), but it's not like putting a car in reverse. It's generally only used by maintenance. Where I worked they'd use forward and backward for removing all the chairs for summer storage.

@ Bunion, did you guys ever have to do that in normal ops?

Jeffrey Epstein didn’t . . .

. . .

the 2009 article mentions they backed up the chair to get him down.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Some can be run backwards (Doppelmayr and Yan, for instance), but it's not like putting a car in reverse. It's generally only used by maintenance. Where I worked they'd use forward and backward for removing all the chairs for summer storage.
    YAN lifts didn't run backwards on purpose it was a design flaw. You're Airborne Now.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    From what I have heard locally it was in the 4 minute range and they could not resuscitate.
    I wonder if he broke his neck when he fell. 4 minutes is a lot without oxygen but still in the survivability realm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    YAN lifts didn't run backwards on purpose it was a design flaw. You're Airborne Now.
    Lol yeah. To be fair, it was hard to read the schematic hand drawn over the logo on the bar cocktail napkin.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    I wonder if he broke his neck when he fell. 4 minutes is a lot without oxygen but still in the survivability realm.
    TGR Forums
    Four minutes is plenty long to stop the heart of a 58yr old male --

Without electricity - a defibrillator, Not an AED - he's done.

tj

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    There is lots of Responsibility to go around on this - and unfortunately(,) it cost this guy his life.

Vail is a liable party ; I would not want to be the lifty responsible for seeing that the chairs were properly loaded ; the skier himself ( Why would you try to stay on a detachable With the seat Up (!) ... Only If you expect to ride to the Top... I would do Everything I could to Get OFF that chair ! !!

I do see how one might Sit not realizing the seat was Up... But Get Off. ! !! )

. . . the next people in line... Did they call out a warning (?) or called for the chair to be STOP-ped... (?)

Accidents happen -- but stuff like this reaffirms my belief that our technology has surpassed our intelligence.

( I'm) Sorry for the rant. tj
    1+ Yes one should definitely turn around while loading . I'm thinking my first reaction would be to put the seat down ( which I've had to do many years ago, not detachable though ) but if not successful bail off to the side . I guess if he wasn't turned around and was distracted that would explain the accident . Still it's the liftys job first and foremost !
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

i was a lifty @ vail on #37 , back in the day as well as most if not all of the bsb lifts (fav was mongolia surface) anywayz...not that this is the skiers fault in the least (vibes+++++) detachable grip chairs are comin at ya at about mach 000 nuthin...so if you fall thru, its happening while still in the box, and slow speed, plenty of time for liftee inside shack to hit the stop button, they r supposed to be watching, if not, its dereliction of duty.....not to mention that back in the day there were usually 2 liftees down at the bottom ( one up top), one should have been outside flippin seats, and rakin the box, clearing the maze, greating the guest, etc...this is more likely partial fault of lift foreman not keepin after liftees to do their jobs... possible 3rd liftee was rotating up or taking a lap...stop/run controls outside and inside lift shack...sucks all round for everyone affected...too many other ways to get taken out in the snow...this should not be one of them
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

^yup

If one sits down on a detachable chair with the seat up, some of the blame falls on guest

^ i think your post was in ref to #34.....
    anywayzz.....

even in bsb two liftees down ...(memory coming back) because if there was a kid loading...we had to slow the lift and physically get behind the chair and pull the kid into it even if his parents or guardians or whatever were trying to b responsible for loadin him or her....or multiples....this was requirement rulz part of the job....even if someone was rotating ....one person could perform this action...

the guest is not responsible for flippin a chair ever....most guests ,public most likely wouldnt even quite understand that the cushion flips down...they would just see a big gap opening and freak out....one needs to think about this accident like a layman...the bottom of a chair seat does not look like the top, it would most likely not register with someone in from nj or anywhere to know that they needed to flip a seat...did not say if there were multiple ppl loading, that would further the opportunity for distraction to the skier tho...vibes...
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

The fact that the seats don’t lock down during daytime operations is astounding to me after the ‘09 incident.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

MiCol gets it. In my time as a lifty in Telluride the worst was working a chair that had latches to keep the pad flipped down. Inevitably there were a few chairs with broken latches that would surprise you when one came through the terminal flipped up.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    If one sits down on a detachable chair with the seat up, some of the blame falls on guest
    I disagree with this. You go to sit down, and your ass drops 14 inches lower than you expect, you're in ski boots and being pushed forward by the lift. Not all skiing public have the skill, dexterity or strength to recover from this position.
    Like that skier you see fall down in the seated on their tails position and can't stand up and continue to travel downhill until they side out sideways to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The fact that the seats don’t lock down during daytime operations is astounding to me after the ‘09 incident.

Post 09 incident: All seats on that lift have a clip that locks the seat down in position. Its a standard operation procedure to clip all seats on initial put down.

A kid almost fell of rex this morning. Was hanging by his fingertips about 100 yards up lift. Patrol and lifties were running up with the catch blanket before he managed to get pulled back aboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I think heavy magnets would solve this problem for the most part. Yes, it would take a bit more effort for the lifty flipping seats at the end of the night, but could be strong enough to not be flipped by the wind. Also, no mechanical parts/latches to fail. How this hasn't been a thing for 30 years already is beyond me.

I have been at detachable lifts were the only attendant was inside ( the control building )
    I was at Vail two weeks ago and the attendants were not real attendant when the lifts weren't busy, especially out in BSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Post 09 incident: All seats on that lift have a clip that locks the seat down in position. Its a standard operation procedure to clip all seats on initial put down.
    Good to know. Then how did this incident happen?

WOW! Horrible.
    I grew up, and lived in Short Hills, NJ for a long time. My sister still lives there. Many litigious types there.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I disagree with this. You go to sit down, and your ass drops 14 inches lower than you expect, you're in ski boots and being pushed forward by the lift. Not all skiing public have the skill, dexterity or strength to recover from this position.
    Like that skier you see fall down in the seated on their tails position and can't stand up and continue to travel downhill until they side out sideways to stop.
    On a fixed chair for sure. On a detachable one has to be a special kind of stupid to sit down with a flipped up seat. In all my liftie days I never let a chair go by without being able to flip the seat down in time

Vail has been looking for liftys for sometime and have been understaffed all season to my knowledge. When they let the accountants and such go at the start of the season they offered them Kitty positions.

Four minutes is plenty long to stop the heart of a 58yr old male --

Without electricity - a defibrillator, Not an AED - he's done.

tj
    Can you rephrase? A defibrillator is a defibrillator is it not? Automoted External Defibrilator.

Quote Originally Posted by phallic-menace View Post
    they offered them Kitty positions.
    What does this mean, exactly? Like doggy style?