Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Hilarity will ensue.
    I had that thought too, but then again, we have them on escalators and I haven't heard of an epidemic of screwing around with those. You'd have to be extra stupid to do it in a lift line where you'd lose your pass and everyone behind you would want to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    if i remember correctly , they were spring loaded to flip up and down...those suckers were heavy....
    In case anyone from the US PTO is reading, this is not evidence of prior art, because the real innovation is having the failsafe bar that trips all the seats to down as they go around the bullwheel.

Yeah, people will hit it just to see what happens, might as well label it do not press.

I'm interested to find out what the industry standard is.
    Varies by the State

There have to be similar chairs in use throughout the world.
    Yep but every model of just about every chairlift is somewhat unique. Most ski areas do some modifications, even on turnkey lifts.

Was Vail missing something? Was it on notice of a potential dangers associated with this chair? Did it act as a reasonable [entity] would under the circumstances then and there existing?
    My guess is that we will never find out. Most likely there will be a quiet settlement. Vail needs this to go away.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Do they still do drug tests?
    Not if they want employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Not if they want employees.
    Pretty sure Vail is the on the "we drug test, but only if you fuck up" program.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Be careful of your “USA!” Cockiness.
    Are we going to have to break out the Gudairi video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    OK, here's my take. The seats need to be spring loaded to flip down. When flipped up for cleaning or maintenance, there's a switch to lock them in the up position. When the seats go around the bullwheel, there's a stationary failsafe bar that triggers the switch as each chair goes by to make sure they're in the down position when they get to the loading point.

PM me for the address to send my royalty checks.

Edited to add: also, how about an emergency stop that the people who are next in line can access? With appropriate draconian penalties for abuse, of course. The people who are about to load the chair are almost guaranteed to be watching, unlike the lift ops.
    Yea, until some jerry is downloading and gets impaled by the failsafe bar.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Pretty sure Vail is the on the "we drug test, but only if you fuck up" program.
    I know snowcat operators who have been required to take a drug test when equipment have failed causing damage to their grooming machine. Basically any damage to property or injury of any kind.

"Circumstances that may result in the testing of employees for drug and/or alcohol include but are not limited to the following, to the extent permitted and in accordance with applicable law:
    • When required by Federal or State law or applicable rule or regulation of any Federal or State Agency. For example, Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations may require pre- employment testing to operate or work on a shuttle bus.
    • When you are involved in an incident resulting in injury to yourself.
    • When you are involved in an incident or accident that results in any damage to any Company property or a Company vehicle (this includes all mobile equipment including snowcats, rangers, etc.) regardless of cost to repair.
    • When you are involved in an incident where a guest or another employee is injured regardless of whether you are injured if you are suspected of causing and/or contributing to the incident.
    • When there is reasonable suspicion that you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol."

Doppelmayr detach lifts have a monitor that detects if the safety bar is down with a reflective sticker and sensor. Wouldn't be too hard to incorporate a similar sensor circuit to detect seats that have blown up or the morning crew missed folding down.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I know snowcat operators who have been required to take a drug test when equipment have failed causing damage to their grooming machine. Basically any damage to property or injury of any kind.

"Circumstances that may result in the testing of employees for drug and/or alcohol include but are not limited to the following, to the extent permitted and in accordance with applicable law:
    • When required by Federal or State law or applicable rule or regulation of any Federal or State Agency. For example, Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations may require pre- employment testing to operate or work on a shuttle bus.
    • When you are involved in an incident resulting in injury to yourself.
    • When you are involved in an incident or accident that results in any damage to any Company property or a Company vehicle (this includes all mobile equipment including snowcats, rangers, etc.) regardless of cost to repair.
    • When you are involved in an incident where a guest or another employee is injured regardless of whether you are injured if you are suspected of causing and/or contributing to the incident.
    • When there is reasonable suspicion that you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol."
    Well, things have changed. A decade ago lefties were tested, along with a lot of other employees, at hire.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yea, until some jerry is downloading and gets impaled by the failsafe bar.

The failsafe bar I designed in my head isn't poky, it's a pinch hazard -- a vertical bar next to the chair that catches a projecting "seat flip trigger". No impalement concerns, but the jerry will get an arm/leg or his head stuck between the chair and the bar. That's much safer, right?

Edited to add:

OK, another approach. You know how some lifts have the "jerry didn't get off at the top" switch? The ones I've seen are a breakaway bar that you hit with your shins if you go around the bullwheel at the top, and they'll shut down the chair if you hit them.

Use a similar switch at the bottom, and have the seat sticking out just a little bit past the chair, so when the seat is up it trips the shutdown switch.

Goddamn, we are doing great work for Vail and Doppelmayr. It's a damn shame they don't have the funds to hire some actual engineers over there to work this shit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, things have changed. A decade ago lefties were tested, along with a lot of other employees, at hire.
    Im not sure about Vail but at Alpine in the mid 90s, they made a point of mentioning during job interviews, orientation and training that we would definitely be drug tested if we were involved in any incident where somebody got hurt or if we got hurt on the job ourselves but that there wouldn’t be any random testing. I took it as “don’t fuck up and we won’t fuck with you”.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    The failsafe bar I designed in my head isn't poky, it's a pinch hazard. No impalement concerns, but the jerry will get an arm/leg or his head stuck between the chair and the bar. That's much safer, right?
    Why not just weld in a center bar on the chairs so there isn’t a gaping hole under the seat?

Why not just weld in a center bar on the chairs so there isn’t a gaping hole under the seat?

Too obvious!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Too obvious!
    You’re right. We need to over engineer a solution.

“Sorry folks, chair is on magnet delay until our magnetician arrives from Germany to do the repairs”

“Good news folks, our lazer failsafe tech is almost done re lazering the failsafe capacitor on Daisy chair, should be up and running by Easter”

Add that weight up in perpetuity and that's a lot of extra power.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Doppelmayr detach lifts have a monitor that detects if the safety bar is down with a reflective sticker and sensor. Wouldn't be too hard to incorporate a similar sensor circuit to detect seats that have blown up or the morning crew missed folding down.
    I was thinking just use the same technology and equipment as the passreader. The chair could pass through the sensor when it enters the wheel house.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I was thinking just use the same technology and equipment as the passreader. The chair could pass through the sensor when it enters the wheel house.
    I take it you've never gotten hung up in a lifeline corral because the automatic pass reader wasnt working?

Titanium chairlifts!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Terrible

More than 22 years has passed since this jacket strangulation tragedy at The Mountaineers lodge between Ski Acres and Summit West (property now owned by Boyne): https://www.spokesman.com/stories/19...gure-out-boys/

Seats flipping up has happened to me many times at heavenly. A couple times the lifty missed it so I flip it down. No big deal. Happens on windy days when the wind is coming from unusual directions. Used to be bad on sky until they installed spring clips on the seats a couple years ago. Still occasionally happens on other lifts.

I read the liability waiver when I signed the pass paperwork. It’s dense but it seems that vail is covered. I sure vail will somehow hang this on the lifty.

Heavenly killed a guy in 2009 and was sued. Poor guy was on his honeymoon and the tamarack zip line retrieval rope got caught up with the chair. That zip line was shut down for years after that.

Heres an excerpt from the waiver for your reading pleasure. You sign away all rights. Would love to see how this plays out in court

“FOR ANY INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH, LOSS, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR EXPENSE, WHICH I OR THE PASS HOLDER MAY SUFFER, ARISING IN WHOLE OR IN PART OUT OF THE PASS HOLDER’S PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THOSE CLAIMS BASED ON ANY RELEASED PARTY’S ALLEGED OR ACTUAL NEGLIGENCE OR BREACH OF ANY CONTRACT AND/OR EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY OR OTHER DUTY OF CARE, INCLUDING IN BRITISH COLUMBIA ANY DUTY OF CARE UNDER THE OCCUPIERS LIABILITY ACT. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF ANY RELEASED PARTY TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF THE ACTIVITY.
    In consideration for allowing the pass holder to participate in the Activity, I FURTHER RELEASE AND GIVE UP ANY AND ALL CLAIMS AND RIGHTS THAT I MAY NOW HAVE AGAINST ANY RELEASED PARTY AND UNDERSTAND THIS RELEASES ALL CLAIMS, INCLUDING THOSE OF WHICH I AM NOT AWARE, THOSE NOT MENTIONED IN THIS RELEASE AND THOSE RESULTING FROM ANYTHING WHICH HAS HAPPENED UP TO NOW.
    I AGREE TO DEFEND AND INDEMNIFY EACH RELEASED PARTY FOR ALL LIABILITY AND CLAIMS, INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES, WHETHER ARISING IN WHOLE OR IN PART FROM THE PASS HOLDER’S PARTICIPATION IN ANY ACTIVITY OR FROM ANY MISREPRESENTATIONS OR FRAUDULENT EXECUTION OF THIS AGREEMENT.”

^ ^ ^ lemme guess: You're not an attorney

Wouldn't the added weight on the downbound chairs balance out the added weight on the uphill chairs?

And this is pleasingly simple, which makes me wonder why they're not built like that already.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    ^ ^ ^ lemme guess: You're not an attorney
    We got a crackerjack here folks.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm impressed that so many dentists know so much about cardiac physiology!
    I sure as hell expect my dentist to know cardiac physiology and how to do basic cpr and use an AED. I don't know if dentists are required to do ACLS but I would think that would be a good idea.