Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Old guy bitching about the young kids. Now that's not something you see every day.
    An old guy still a liftie is something you don't see every day.

See, even Benny can grammar check. No offense, but folks these days do not even know what an idiom is. Idiot, fer shure.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    While anaphylaxis is tested relatively often in ACLS (because it's a distributive shock state), it's not a cardiac problem like we were discussing in this thread. In general, it is thought that skin/muscle/soft tissue perfusion in a cardiac arrest is too low for enough (or any) of an IM epinephrine injection to reach the heart.

My wife is a dentist and outside of some training classes she's never started an IV. Nor does she have more than a recognition-level familiarity with cardiac medications.
    Thanks. I do hope she can treat anaphylaxis though. IM epi works fine unless you wait for an arrest.
    I don't know if there are any vessels in the mouth where a toxic level of lidocaine could be injected but if there are I would hope a dentist would have the means to treat that as well.
    I believe we got started because someone made a comment about all the expert dentists offering an opinion. It is still my hope that the average dentist knows more about asphyxia, cardiac arrest, pharmacology, etc than the average lawyer or truck driver.

Anyone can give an IM epi. Ok, not legally, per se. But in EMT class they taught us it was so urgently important, that if the anaphylaxis patient can not administer it themselves, you put the epi pen in their hand, grab your hand around theirs, and plunge it into their thigh (or wherever). In the documentation: patient administered it themselves, with assistance. Legal grey area but who’s going to argue shit when a life has been saved?

And in fact, I did this once as a patroller.
    Last edited by skizix; 02-19-2020 at 11:58 PM.

But how TF did we get on anaphylaxis anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I believe we got started because someone made a comment about all the expert dentists offering an opinion. It is still my hope that the average dentist knows more about asphyxia, cardiac arrest, pharmacology, etc than the average lawyer or truck driver.
    They at least know enough to use the increased rate of heart attack or other cardiovascular problem for those with periodontal disease as a major part of their sales pitch
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Tragic incident. Not good for Vail or the industry. Lifties who care are a huge risk management advantage. Mad River's colorful Liftes are an asset for many reasons. https://www.facebook.com/SkiItIfYouC...jcxMjM0Njk0Ng/

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    But how TF did we get on anaphylaxis anyhow?

Doctor types can't help but spew half useless information
    Last edited by baron; 02-24-2020 at 08:07 PM. Reason: damn my eye was blurry when i typed that shit:)
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Doctot types can't help but spew half useless information
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...55#post5633455

I do appreciate that you think my spew is only half useless. I could not hope for more.
    Last edited by old goat; 02-22-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    So, today CNN publishes an article titled
    "Why Georgia is one of the world's most underrated skiing destinations"
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/g...ion/index.html

They mention a new lift at Gudauri

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    So, today CNN publishes an article titled
    "Why Georgia is one of the world's most underrated skiing destinations"
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/g...ion/index.html

They mention a new lift at Gudauri
    That CNN article is Fake News.

7,200 feet, higher than the summits of most slopes in the Alps

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    An old guy still a liftie is something you don't see every day.
    Back in my liftie days it was all a bunch of us stuipid young 20 year olds, and then this one old retired divorced guy. Working the lifts for a free pass, access to staff accom, easy wannabe "local" friends, and something to do. Dude was living the dream, IMO. My early retirement plans are to get divorced and do this exact same thing. I'll complain about the 'kids these days' FOR SURE.

Here is the sensor for the safety bar on a Doppelmayr HSQ at sugarbush. Conduit mounted emitter and sensor to pick up reflected light from strip on safety bar if it is down. Wouldn't take much to add another sensor and strips to detect the seat being up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200225_091548.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	622.0 KB 
ID:	317348
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^^^ Pretty cool set up.

Maybe 1000 bucks all in to retro an entire chair and then the labor to make it happen.

Sure it will cost Vail maybe 35K to do the entire fleet, seems like a no-brainer.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

told ya lasers was all it would take.

so supposing something as simple as this works. Does that increase vail's liabilty toward this one event?

so supposing something as simple as this works. Does that increase vail's liabilty toward this one event?
    Subsequent remedial measures are generally inadmissible as evidence of negligence/fault, but can be admitted to show the feasibility of those measures.

Oh come on, they're not going to do jack shit to improve the safety of things, they'll just add another line to the liability waiver about how being strangled by a chairlift is one of the inherent risks of the sport that you accept by purchasing a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    Subsequent remedial measures are generally inadmissible as evidence of negligence/fault, but can be admitted to show the feasibility of those measures.
    but what about when the same event happened before, and the answer already existed within the industry prior to the second event happening

Ok, then today the coroner says the skier didn't fall through the chair ("contradicting earlier reports"). Something about getting squeezed by clothing that 'became entangled' in part of the chair? Yuck. That's .. awful. Not even sure if I want more details.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/coroner-vail-skier-who-died-of-positional-asphyxia-didnt-fall-through-chair/

but what about when the same event happened before, and the answer already existed within the industry prior to the second event happening
    That's a different question. The prior event and VA's choices with respect to adopting good industry practice are more likely admissible. Nevertheless, as another poster added above, it is extremely unlikely that this matter ever gets to trial.

According to at least one witness, the chairlift seat was up when Varnish and a companion attempted to load Chair 37 in Vail’s Blue Sky Basin, according to the release.
    That does not add any clarification. If anything it begs further questions.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Ok, then today the coroner says the skier didn't fall through the chair ("contradicting earlier reports"). Something about getting squeezed by clothing that 'became entangled' in part of the chair? Yuck. That's .. awful. Not even sure if I want more details.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/coroner-vail-skier-who-died-of-positional-asphyxia-didnt-fall-through-chair/
    It's borderline impossible to fall through those chairs. If you look at the picture of naked upside down guy, his kid is just sitting there fine.

'attempted to get on the chair' makes it sound like he never got on the chair and his clothes got caught on the chair, which kept going?