Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I too have flipped the seat down before it got to me. i'm guessing you are also more than a competent skier rather than some bloke from Jersey out at Vail (no offense and he was probably a perfectly good skier).
    But damn, when doing so did you ever consider you were saving your life?
    Vail has to get a failsafe for this. A laser that shoots through the bottom of the chair as a cutoff or some sort of passive protection. Fuck these days there should be an app that tells the lifty chair 167 is coming down with the seat up instead of telling the world i go through a lift line
    this is negligent as hell.. in Vermont they have a lot of wind ; and Killington for example ,always had people manning the loading station ,flipping and cleaning chair seats as skiers loaded.
    Last edited by baron; 02-17-2020 at 05:22 AM.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    my training is an AED will shock an arrhythmic heart - it will not shock a stopped heart --
    A stopped heart needs an electric Start.

I would be Glad to be wrong - but

I would not expect an AED to trigger a Stopped heart.

(tj)
    Correct. The idiot proof device requires a shockable rhythm.

The hospital paddles can wake the dead
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Correct. The idiot proof device requires a shockable rhythm.

The hospital paddles can wake the dead
    It’s been a long time since I took ACLS, but from what I recall, the only shockable rhythms are v-fib and v-tach. Both of which an AED will shock. Flatline is not a shockable rhythm contrary to what tv will show you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s a bummer for everyone involved no matter who is at fault. Not much mention of the witnesses yet. Can you imagine hopping in the truck that morning to spin some laps with your bro’s or your family and ending up on the chair behind this guy. I’ve never seen a hanging. I don’t want to. I certainly don’t want to be on a chair with my buddy’s 4 yo trying to shield her from the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    What is the proper amount of time before we have to wait for the bunny jokes to start
    seems like more than 4 pages. Man, this place is slippin.

Seriously though, those last few minutes of that guys life must have been terrifying. Awful way to go. Vibes.
    27° 18°

At the risk of receiving a hail storm of abuse...Are US lifts so different from Euro lifts?

I have heard of this happening over 'ere...once? maybe in all my 35 years and that was a kid who was trapped under the safety bar by another group (inexplicably) not paying attention.

The notion of a liftie crew requiring a 'catch blanket'.....How?!?!?

(RIP the guy )

The notion of a liftie crew requiring a 'catch blanket'.....How?!?!?
    Standard equipment at the bottom of a lot of lifts in the US.

Last area I worked we did "Hanger Drills" to train for the event where a skier fucked up the mid-station unload and was.... left hanging.

Ultimately Vail will be at fault in this instance but many/most humans are such moronic retards when it comes to ski lifts.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

nah, you euros don’t go for that one death at a time thing... why bother when you can rip a whole chairload off at one time with your winch cat cable?

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/schwyz-...dent-/45544070

Name:  8E026E52-6255-4B46-A3A9-7FC62D67383F.jpeg
Views: 2823
Size:  28.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    A simple webbing cross mesh on the seat frame could easily let snow and wind pass through as well as preventing a customer's final dump while the seat bottom is flipped up.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    It’s been a long time since I took ACLS, but from what I recall, the only shockable rhythms are v-fib and v-tach. Both of which an AED will shock. Flatline is not a shockable rhythm contrary to what tv will show you.
    And this.

I feel for the lift op(s) who fucked this up. It's probably going to be a long hard road psychologically. Not an easy thing to come to terms with.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    absolutely incorrect. how is a 58 year old recreational skier supposed to know what is happening when he sees (if he sees) the chair coming at him with no seat? And more importantly, how is he as a guest supposed to be responsible for knowing what to do in the maybe one second after realizing vail failed to do their duty. Also the guest had no idea the level of danger he was facing.
    I agree. I just expect the seat to be down and I can certainly imagine zoning and not really looking at the chair before sitting down on it. The lift operator is 100% culpable here.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOYMATTHEW View Post
    My CPR refresher for OEC last fall included rescue breathing. 30 compressions, 2 breaths.
    Yes focus is surely on compression now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

A simple webbing cross mesh on the seat frame could easily let snow and wind pass through as well as preventing a customer's final dump while the seat bottom is flipped up.
    FreeIng rain would surely freeze into clumps on a mesh surface and be difficult to clear

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post

This is correct. PEA arrest, or "flatline" is not a shockable rhythm. Only high-quality CPR, meds (epi/amio/etc) and crossed fingers will save you in PEA.

Also, despite what the medical dramas would have you believe hospitals no longer have "paddles", our defibrillators aren't entirely dissimilar to AED's Joe schmo might use, the main difference being a built in monitor and greater ability to adjust energy delivered and in what manner.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    FreeIng rain would surely freeze into clumps on a mesh surface and be difficult to clear
    Then how about the laser idea that powdork mentioned? It's not a bad idea, and entirely within the realm of feasibility to implement. It could be as simple as wiring it to a red light or bell, which would signal the lifties to hit the emergency stop button.

I'd say the most important thing would be to devise a system that keeps the seat down. It shouldn't be that difficult to come up with something that mechanically connects the seat to the frame that can be connected in the time the chair is passing through the bottom station. Some kind of sensor to ensure the seat is down would be the secondary system.

Fuck outta here with that common sense shit.

WE WANT MAGNETS GODDAMBIT

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Then how about the laser idea that powdork mentioned? It's not a bad idea, and entirely within the realm of feasibility to implement. It could be as simple as wiring it to a red light or bell, which would signal the lifties to hit the emergency stop button.
    Laser light is easily blocked. Maybe a wireless switch like a dryer door.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'd say the most important thing would be to devise a system that keeps the seat down. It shouldn't be that difficult to come up with something that mechanically connects the seat to the frame that can be connected in the time the chair is passing through the bottom station. Some kind of sensor to ensure the seat is down would be the secondary system.
    Once installed for the season why do they need to raise at all?

Magnets, friggin lazer beams, we need to let Vail know TGR has this solved.

Once installed for the season why do they need to raise at all?
    I'm sure it's pretty nice on a powder day when you don't need to clear a foot of snow off every single chair.

Laser light is easily blocked. Maybe a wireless switch like a dryer door.
    There's an easy solution to that issue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HighTech_SnowBrush.jpg 
Views:	1594 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	316149

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    This is correct. PEA arrest, or "flatline" is not a shockable rhythm. Only high-quality CPR, meds (epi/amio/etc) and crossed fingers will save you in PEA.

Also, despite what the medical dramas would have you believe hospitals no longer have "paddles", our defibrillators aren't entirely dissimilar to AED's Joe schmo might use, the main difference being a built in monitor and greater ability to adjust energy delivered and in what manner.
    There you go inserting professional knowledge an expertise into an otherwise ill informed, opinionated argument. Come on man, this is TGR.

I say we use magnets to bring the dead back to life (insert "Young Frankenstein" video here.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm sure it's pretty nice on a powder day when you don't need to clear a foot of snow off every single chair.
    Do resorts put the seats up every night? Don’t they just sweep them off and bang them with a stick after snow.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    There's an easy solution to that issue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HighTech_SnowBrush.jpg 
Views:	1594 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	316149
    Would not solve ice on the lens