Can I use this old Salomon race ski without the plate?

Picked up some old Salomon race skis, which have a weird metal plate on the topsheet -- plate sort of floats on some pin brackets. I have not tried removing the plate from the brackets to see what's underneath. The pins do not go into the sidewall of the ski like the early 2000s "pilot" bindings.

Anyone familiar with this ski and know whether I can remove the plate and mount bindings directly to the ski? The skis look to be of typical thickness for mounting bindings normally.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5490.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	315796

Name:	IMG_5491.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	315797

Name:	IMG_5492.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	344.0 KB 
ID:	315798

Name:	IMG_5493.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	315799
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I believe you should be able to remove the side Allen/torx bolts from the side and remove the plate. Then the gold brackets are screwed into the skis like normal bindings. Remove those and you should be good to mount whatever you want.

Those old plates actually ski really really well... suggest trying it first.

and yes you can mount regular bindings, but it will be quite soft underfoot if you pull the plate

Thanks - my thought on removing the plate was because they seem rattly. I tried tightening the torx screws on the sides but wasn't able to.

I'll try them first with the plates and see how they are.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Hangl plates are legit, and you're going to need a lift on a ski that skinny so you don't boot out. The squishy bits are probably a bit over-squished, hence the rattling.

Be aware that those tubes on the top sheet have a tendency to leak a black tar-like substance in their old age. I know of several car interiors and carpets that have been ruined by leaky old Salomons.

The Hangl plate is sick!

Do yourself a solid & measure the dimensions. There was a variant of that ski with a 97mm tip & 101 tail were wicked fun- just know that the tail may hold on to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Be aware that those tubes on the top sheet have a tendency to leak a black tar-like substance in their old age. I know of several car interiors and carpets that have been ruined by leaky old Salomons.
    OK, that's just weird. Salomon filled their skis with the black oil from the X Files?

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    The Hangl plate is sick!

Do yourself a solid & measure the dimensions. There was a variant of that ski with a 97mm tip & 101 tail were wicked fun- just know that the tail may hold on to ya.
    I'll put some calipers on them. I don't think I've ever seen skis with tails wider than the tips.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    The Hangl plate is sick!

Pretty sure el chup’s are the year after those. My brother raced on those things, I couldn’t get the hang of them. Soft as hell tip, but man did that tail drive across the fall line.

Measurements per my Harbor Freight calipers are approx 100(tip)/ 64/ 87 (tail).

Update: I tuned the edges, did a little ptex work, and mounted a binding on the Hangl plates. The toe ends of the plates rattle - there's vertical slop, the whole plate moves up and down at the toe ends. Tried skiing them anyway - weird feel, like I can't get the front of the skis to do anything.

Pulled off the plates and have plugged the holes in the skis.

I'm going to mount some old PowerAxe plates on the skis and try again.

Update: mounted old PowerAxe lifter plates. Now they feel like normal skis - can feel the front of the ski. I also have crazy amounts of ramp angle, but they ski fine, so going with it.

These skis hand flex pretty soft for a GS ski, but hold an edge fine. If I consciously bring the tail of the ski around in a turn, they kind of pop you through the end of each turn. Fun, but tiring way to ski.