Great classic rock songs

The counter to the "songs that should be retired for 10 years / everyone hates classic rock" thread.

Post up some classic rock gems that aren't overplayed and are still worth listening to. And I'm afraid I can't offer any insight into what actually constitutes classic rock. Let your conscience be your guide.

To counter that thread

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Stones: "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" Still an amazing song, great album.
    Led Zep: "How Many More Times" Great cover song (grin)
    Pink Floyd: "Shine On Crazy Diamond"
    Traffic: "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"

All tunes I've heard on the radio, just not nearly often enough.

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Live version, because it's great.

Toast, you need to define the parameters or this thread is going to be all over the place.

Iggy Pop is not classic rock, he stood for everything classic rock is not.

Joe Jackson is not classic rock. Please. I am a huge JJ fan. Big World still one of the best albums all time.

Bob Marley = classic rock? No.

From Wikipedia:

Classic rock is a radio format which developed from the album-oriented rock (AOR) format in the early 1980s. In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the mid-1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Can I. Quote you on that?

Best bunny post evar
    . . .

I pulled out the old Thin Lizzy, and most of it sounds pretty dated, but damn, Running Back To You Again is a great song.

Lots of George Thorogood, how about I’ll pick It Wasn’t Me.

Someone else listed an AC/DC; I think the one that’s held up the best is Shook Me All Night Long.

Thunder Road: Opened an album that was celebrated on the covers of Time and Newsweek, got a lot of play, and it’s still a great song.

Tom Petty’s Refugee.

Black Magic Woman will never get old.

Stones: To be fair, I’ll limit my choices to actual hits; Satisfaction, I suppose, has finally gotten a little bit stale, so then, let’s go with Tumbling Dice. Or maybe Jumping Jack Flash.

One of the most overplayed songs, on one of the most overplayed albums, of all time, but if you really try to listen to it with fresh ears, it’s still good: Go Your Own Way. Come on, the drumming and guitar work are amazing, the latter being a bit too polished, but polished was popular at the time (vastly less polished in the decades later live version below, which improves it).

Last edited by bobz; 02-15-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Not really my forte, but I offer

Clapton, 'Layla'

though I understand to real Rockers, this may be Pop --

carry on... tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Not really my forte, but I offer

Clapton, 'Layla'
    The acoustic version? Or the Derrick and the Dominoes version?

I find the former kind of boring, but the latter is a great song that's in my regular rotation.

And yeahman - no way, not gonna constrain the definition. Stooges are rock, and they are classic. Therefore they belong here. Commercial success shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The acoustic version? Or the Derrick and the Dominoes version?

I find the former kind of boring, but the latter is a great song that's in my regular rotation.

And yeahman - no way, not gonna constrain the definition. Stooges are rock, and they are classic. Therefore they belong here. Commercial success shouldn't matter.
    as a "great Rock song" it could only be the Uptempo, Electric version ( I looked at the youtube video from LiveAid1985 before making the claim ) ;

to me, great songs may be malliable :

I am surprised I did not offer 'Born to Run' by Only Springsteen - And the ,,, haunting version with which he closed the 'Tunnel of Love' concerts in the late '80s is one of my all-time favorites , and

as a Rock song, for me, it is hard to beat BtR as performed during the 'Born in the USA' concerts in the mid'80s...

" … Baby, we were born to run ! . . . "

years ago, a friend said he liked Aerosmith unplugged as much as any music he had ever heard ( hi, Joe ) --

the closest thing I have ever found is KISS unplugged --

oh. real Rockers may not claim Springsteen, but I sure am glad I have lived during his lifetime...

… thanks... tj

He's not my boss.

Yeah, Born To Run is one of those songs where I still remember where I was and the experience of hearing it for the first time. I'm still going with Thunder Road, though; not as overplayed, and wow, those lyrics, all the way through.

I've got a Light on You
    Omaha
    Fresh Garbage
    A new Day Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Yeah, Born To Run is one of those songs where I still remember where I was and the experience of hearing it for the first time. I'm still going with Thunder Road, though; not as overplayed, and wow, those lyrics, all the way through.
    for what it's worth... I que - up Thunder Road more often than Born to Run - it is a great song - and the two versions I am most familiar with may be the same : Hammersmith 1975 and Live 1975-1985 ( the fact that it may be Hammersmith '75 on Live did not occur to me until just now - but I don't think they are the same, Because Hammersmith picks up the tempo )

anyway. If I have a point, it is that I don't think of Thunder Road as ROCK - and I believe the OP was looking for That.

music has been an important part of my life...

thanks... tj

There's a Name for this list, too, though I don't think my favorites necessarily classify as rock songs,

but I nominate,

Bob Seger ( and the Silver Bullet Band )

Thank you. tj