Gold Label re-glue still sticking to bases

Have some 8 year old G3 Alpinist skins whose glue recently shit the bed. A gloppy and sticky mess that stuck to everything. I removed damn near every bit of old glue using the paper bag method, and then re-glued with Gold Label. Admittedly I did not apply as thin of a new layer as I had hoped, so there is a little bit of bubbling happening on one of the skins.

I'm finding that the Gold Label re-glue is still sticking to my bases in areas. So now I'm thinking I should do one pass with the paper bag method again to thin out the new layer. Would this work? Any advice on how to fix?

How long since you waxed your skis? A bare base can be more problematic than a well waxed one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    How long since you waxed your skis? A bare base can be more problematic than a well waxed one.
    Brand new skis...factory wax I guess. Good thought, I will wax and re-check.

This is a really good vid that folks should bookmark it shows both tube and sheet glue replacement

I always use tubes of gold label cuz its 1/3rd the price of sheet and it ends up the same, I always scrape all the old glue off with a heat gun and putty knife, I evenly spread 1 tube between 2 skins cover with parchment ( not wax paper ) paper and I heat it in at 320F

I never use paper bags and don't even think about newspaper

How much glue did you use ?

Did you heat the glue in with an iron ?

how hot was the iron ?

assuming the glue you put down was done right ironing it again can't hurt, cover with parchment paper & iron with a medium hot clothes iron
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    This is a really good vid that folks should bookmark it shows both tube and sheet glue replacement

I always use tubes of gold label cuz its 1/3rd the price of sheet and it ends up the same, I always scrape all the old glue off with a heat gun and putty knife, I evenly spread 1 tube between 2 skins cover with parchment ( not wax paper ) paper and I heat it in at 320F

I never use paper bags and don't even think about newspaper

How much glue did you use ?

Did you heat the glue in with an iron ?

how hot was the iron ?

assuming the glue you put down was done right ironing it again can't hurt, cover with parchment paper & iron with a medium hot clothes iron
    The paper bag method worked quite well to remove the old glue. I used about a half tube of new glue for 185cm length / 110mm waist.

I did not heat the new glue in -- the instructions did not mention it. After removing the old glue, I followed this video exactly:

I've been folding the skins together repeatedly this morning and that seems to be helping a bit...

Yeah the instructions with the tube of gold label don't say anything about heat, in that vid Andrew Maclean doesn't use heat, in the vid I posted the guy does use heat, I think you will find other instruction vids that use heat and I have always used heat

it sounds like your glue is not completely stuck to the back of the skin, so maybe heat would work it into the back of the skin and heat would level out the glue for sure

as for the quantity of glue the amount you used does not sound excessive, I always use one tube between 2 skins so 1/2 a tube per skin

in that Vid I posted the guy puts painters tape 1/2 covering the plush on each edge which I liked, a good idea for keeping glue off the bench

the one reglue I did years ago in telepariah's now gone man-cave, we did use heat, it made the new glue smooth as glass.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

yeah if you use the skin glue backing that came off the skins when new ...the glue will look like new

but those sheets only last so long before they rip, parchement is in the baking section at safeway, tends to be a little more of a matte finish but once you put them togetehr it doesnt matter ... yer only a Virgin once eh

some body on TGR suggested you don't need parchment or the original skin backing so I tried it on messy skins that needed rejuvenating, not much glue ended up on the iron and it worked fine really but i think for a new application ( or if you don't really know what you are doing ) I recommend the parchment to get the glue smoovved out and level

really you are trying to get that glue even/well stuck to the skin/ not sticking to your ski

I’m a new mag who finally was able to get on board. So I’ll expect the hazing. I was wondering if anybody has tried 3m spray on glue as a reglue for skins. I might try it on some old skins for spring touring along with the parchment iron method.??? Could work or could suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mysto View Post
    I’m a new mag who finally was able to get on board. So I’ll expect the hazing. I was wondering if anybody has tried 3m spray on glue as a reglue for skins. I might try it on some old skins for spring touring along with the parchment iron method.??? Could work or could suck.
    Sounds like a really bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I've found that after applying gold label for a reglue that I had to heat with the parchment paper to get it to bond well onto the skins. I had a major panic the day before a hut trip when after a tedious stripping, cleaning and gold label brush application, my newly re-glued skins started shedding huge portions of new glue onto my nice and shiny freshly waxed skis. I ran out to MEC and grabbed a new set of skins minutes before the store closed and trimmed them up for the hut trip. After I got back into town, I took the time to make my old skins functional by applying heat to the recently reglued bases and that has prevented the glue from shedding. They have been used many times since then and have held up fine.

I think yer idea sucks dead goats but the question comes to mind how did you ever dream up 3m glue and which one ?

IMO if you are smart you will use the link I posted and follow the instructions carefully without missing steps

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    I've found that after applying gold label for a reglue that I had to heat with the parchment paper to get it to bond well onto the skins. I had a major panic the day before a hut trip when after a tedious stripping, cleaning and gold label brush application, my newly re-glued skins started shedding huge portions of new glue onto my nice and shiny freshly waxed skis. I ran out to MEC and grabbed a new set of skins minutes before the store closed and trimmed them up for the hut trip. After I got back into town, I took the time to make my old skins functional by applying heat to the recently reglued bases and that has prevented the glue from shedding. They have been used many times since then and have held up fine.
    can't follow instruction and can't say the letter C

Quote Originally Posted by mysto View Post
    first you're gonna want to hot scrape the skis. Scrape and brush and scrape til you get the bases super bare - make sure there's decent base structure. Then use the paper bag technique to strip the old skin.

Then what you wanna do is spray the 3m adhesive directly onto the SKI and apply the skin. Should stick really good. Turn your kitchen oven to like 375 and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Leave the oven door open (CAN'T STRESS THIS PART ENOUGH) and place the end of the skis in there on the parchment paper so they don't burn. Let them cure like 3 hours on each side at 375

^ ^ ^ sounds risky

My method: Scrape old glue with scraper and heat gun. Apply thin coat of Gold Label glue, spreading evenly. After applying Gold Label glue, let 'em air dry 24 to 48 hours in a dry non-dusty place. Then put parchment paper on the skins and iron at medium heat. Let cool then peel parchment paper. Then air cure another day or 2. Use cheat sheets the first few tours.

I've done at least a dozen reglues using the method described above. All have held up as well as factory glue.

Other methods may work just as well. The above is what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    ^ ^ ^ sounds risky

My method: Scrape old glue with scraper and heat gun. Apply thin coat of Gold Label glue, spreading evenly. After applying Gold Label glue, let 'em air dry 24 to 48 hours in a dry non-dusty place. Then put parchment paper on the skins and iron at medium heat. Let cool then peel parchment paper. Then air cure another day or 2. Use cheat sheets the first few tours.

I've done at least a dozen reglues using the method described above. All have held up as well as factory glue.

Other methods may work just as well. The above is what works for me.
    Ding ding this is the move — I’ve glued well over half a dozen and comes out perfect every time. Scrapping with a heat gun and metal scraper is the move!! You can also use the heat gun to smear out the new layer of gold label.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That’s comedy ...thank you! I watched the vid and that’s straight forward I just thought ‘what if’ about the spray adhesive cause I could get it from the hardware store today rather than waiting for the Gold Bond to come in the mail and I knew there was gonna be a couple of laughs