Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seattle to Revelstoke Drive

Title says it all. I’m thinking of driving to Revelstoke this weekend.

Google says 7.5 hrs. Has anyone made the drive? Is that realistic?

If we get into town late Sunday whats my best option for a burger and a beer?

You lucky fuck! Revelstoke is an almost twenty four hour (one way) drive for me. But I'm going for it in March, with stops along the way in Jackson Hole, Big Sky, etc.

Safe travels and have fun!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Sounds about right. Border and especially weather are big wild cards. Took us over 10 to get to Golden but got stuck on Rogers Pass for about an hour after a pileup in one of the avy shed/tunnels. Driving the trans Canada sucks at night too

Seattle to Revelstoke Drive

It takes 8-9 from Seattle depending on border crossing, stops, weather. Doable and worth it.

BC-1 thru Coquihalla is no joke... drive safe.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I've done the drive about a dozen times now, and it's taken as little at 7 hours, and as long as 15 hours. At this point, I allot 10 hours for it. You never know what you're going to get with that drive, but that's the charm of it.

Make sure you have everything you need for a trip of that duration: plenty of water and snacks, road soda for unexpected stops, pee bottle (or two, depending on volume), full size shovel, chains, good boots, good work gloves, headlamp, chocolate covered espresso beans, toilet paper, wet wipes. I carry a reflective vest in the rig too, because in a breakdown/roadside chainup scenario, I want to be as visible as possible to the truckers who have heads full of meth, haven't slept in 32 hours and are sexting some Russian whore-bot while they careen toward you at 80 miles per hour. You know the drill.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I want to be as visible as possible to the truckers who have heads full of meth, haven't slept in 32 hours and are sexting some Russian whore-bot while they careen toward you at 80 miles per hour.
    Sig worthy.

The Trans-Canada around Revelstoke has triple the provincial average accident rate. Not surprising as it is a 1960s undivided 2 lane highway carrying 2020 traffic with about one in three vehicles being a semi with a dispatcher pushing the driver (many new with limited winter driving experience) to meet summer schedules. Don't be tempted to push hard when tired at the end of a long day and become another statistic.

Appreciate all the beta. Might not show my wife this thread.

I have snow tires on my jeep. Will i tun into mounties or provincial police requiring chains?

It's a holiday weekend in BC and Alberta. Be prepared for lots of traffic and line ups at the resort.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 206 View Post

I have snow tires on my jeep. Will i tun into mounties or provincial police requiring chains?
    Afaik pretty much everywhere in bc requires winters OR chains. Not both. If you've got good winters and know how to use them you'll be fine.

Late Sunday burger + beer. Village Idiot, Last Drop, Regent Hotel.

First and last close at 11pm. Last Drop is pretty bad but closes at 2am.

Don't forget to read article re Revelstoke on a Budget

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Afaik pretty much everywhere in bc requires winters OR chains. Not both. If you've got good winters and know how to use them you'll be fine.
    Sadly BC calls an all-season with 3.5mm tread a 'winter tire' (so long as it has the meaningless M+S stamp, which I think they all do).

Quote Originally Posted by 206 View Post

No.

Attachment 315761

It's really not that bad a drive at all.

And the Coquihalla is about as well designed, run and maintained mtn highway as you could ask for.

Weather looks reasonable all weekend too. So you can probably leave the multiple pee bottles and wet wipes at home.

I'm heading that way on Monday for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ianpnw View Post
    7my son otoh wound up on his roof in the ditch.
    Hope he didn't spill any fluids.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 02-14-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

7.5 hours is best case - winter conditions make it longer (duh). The Coquihalla is steep at both ends and tops out at 4100 feet, so be prepared as above for delays. I’ve driven it without problem several times, my son otoh wound up on his roof in the ditch. I suspect our relative driving styles had a lot to do with that!
    The Craft Bierhaus in town is open till 2 am https://www.craftbierhaus.com/
    Have fun

I did that drive last month. Agree, that they do as best they can maintaining BC-5. However, I advise strong caution on Coquihalla Pass. Rolled my truck on the North side of the pass last month. Roads were dry but I hit some black ice crossing a bridge. Scary as fuck, but walked away. The tow-truck driver was telling me they film reality TV show with all the tow companies in the area. He seemed a tad offended that I didn't recognize him...

Quote Originally Posted by CMSIV View Post
    The tow-truck driver was telling me they film reality TV show with all the tow companies in the area. He seemed a tad offended that I didn't recognize him...

Sure... the Coq is a well designed and they work hard to maintain it, but bad weather is bad weather, and it sucks to be in bad weather on the Coq.

I needed a new season of something to watch.

If i was going to stop short of revelstoke and finish the drive in the am is there a town closer than Kelowna that would be good for a best western or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by ianpnw View Post
    The Craft Bierhaus in town is open till 2 am https://www.craftbierhaus.com/
    Go big with the mac'n'cheese hamburger skillet if they have it. I think I was done eating for the week after that one.

Ferry time also and fill up on gas. After dark is interesting

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Thanks! I guess I should have been specific...at what point does the drive have the potential to be pretty sketchy in the dark?

Where is a reasonable spot to call it off for the night?

Just go out I90 and up 97. This route is only 60miles further and is low elevation the entire way, relatively snow and ice free. I drive this way because it's a better drive regardless of season.

Three Valley Gap just outside Revy can be sketchy at night, especially if it's warm enough for a melt-freeze cycle. It's a narrow valley that sits in the shade most of the day, so it can ice up when temperatures drop at night. If you're not feeling comfortable finishing the drive at night, Sicamous has a few hotels and restaurants and is less than an hour drive.

As others have said, you're most likely spot for delays is the Coquihalla. If there's a big storm happening, then it can close for hours and be awful. Fortunately, weather is looking pretty good for Sunday, so you should be fine. Three Valley Gap is also home to regular avalanche closures, but unless it's an epic dump, they'll only be for an hour or two and you'll be able to find out in advance through Drivebc.ca.

Speaking, check DriveBC.ca before you start and whenever you stop for updates.

If I'm dumb enough for Bellingham, WA to Jackson Hole in a full day, Revelstoke is a commute. You SHOULD drive to Revvvy!

Two must have links are drivebc.ca (road conditions and cameras everywhere) and Environment Canada Alerts (BC).
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Made it to Salmon Arm and I’ll finish the drive in the am. Little bit of weather over Coq pass but not too bad.

I’ll be skiing Sunday (2/15), monday and Tuesday.

If anyone wants to show me around for a morning then beer and a burger is on me for lunch.

I’m an out of shape new dad but otherwise probably wont hold you up too terribly much.