Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Silverton TR

I really need to get down there sometime.
    When are you back in Ogden?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    When are you back in Ogden?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Now.
    Am heading up to Jackson today.

And Byates, thanks for the invite, but I’ve been on the road for a month and it’s time I point those dark, hard, dark rubber wheels rollskreet rollskreet back home.
    Phone posting tilt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1081 (2).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	449314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1085 (2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	449315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1087 (2).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	449316  
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-26-2023 at 08:38 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You should. Bummed a couldn't make it happen for this session. I haven't given up hope on the season however. I must say it makes me happy to see the names of some OG guides still around. It's not everyone's cup 'o tea but the insanity that is that place has been making dreams happen for a long time now.

There's a potential for me rematerializing in Silverton in late March for unguided.
    Will ping.

Is Shocklee still guiding down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Am heading up to Jackson today.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler, mon ami.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    There's a potential for me rematerializing in Silverton in late March for unguided.
    Will ping.
    I'd love to tag on when you do and use my free day from Monarch

Headed down for opening unguided in a few weeks after I get back from the beach. Looking forward to it. Sounds like coverage is all time with a few more storms lined up between now and then. Fingers crossed for a storm right before the 14th.

Ima try to drag my eldest kid to Silverton this spring for a couple unguided days if I can drag him away from Bridger...

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I'll be down for unguided as well.
    "All time" and "as good as it gets" coverage, rad! Any trophy lines opening up off the lift, or is it the usual suspects?
    Yeah I don't know. This'll be my 8th time there but I'm not sure if there was ever really anything closed due to low snowpack on previous trips. I usually only hike a few a day before I am relegated to pocket beers and N facing laps off the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I'll be down for unguided as well.
    "All time" and "as good as it gets" coverage, rad! Any trophy lines opening up off the lift, or is it the usual suspects?
    Skidmark and Con's Fancy were open, each of which don't see much action in normal to low snow years. Up higher, Tiger Claw is smooth and filled and all the Rope dee entrances are happening (2 requires good snowpack). Meatgrinder was deep as well, no rocks this year.

It's just a killer year for Silverton. The last day there last week, I got a line down the right side of the Tony T tube that will be a death bed memory of soft, deep, freefalling spindrift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SilvertonChair23.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	449955  

Silverton TR

Unguided season starts tomorrow! The word from Sunday is that conditions were pretty much all-time. Coverage is as good as it gets and the storm train is lined up for March.

Whos making the trip? I've already seen some of the usual suspects swing into town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1678805699.623255.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	451806

Thanks for the heads up. I thought unguided started early April. At least it did last time I went up after a week of no one skiing and an 18 inch storm.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I might get a day or two in. Somehow the next few weeks got really busy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I thought unguided started early April. At least it did last time I went up after a week of no one skiing and an 18 inch storm.
    Alpinord, If you go I'd greatly appreciate a TR and some picks of the usual suspects. Been enjoying good snow in the northern Rockies and not missing the south too much, but my dreams of the San Juans always include a major dose of Sliverton Mt. Take one down Riff for me.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 03-17-2023 at 10:44 AM.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Alpinord, If you go I'd greatly appreciate a TR and some picks of the usual suspects. Been enjoying good snow in the northern Rockies and not missing the south too much, but my dreams of the San Juans always include a major dose of Sliverton Mt. Take one down Riff for me.
    Might be a while. Just back from T-ride w/more snow on the way and fun tickets to use up w/PJ, etc. With the all of the snow, 4 min Gold Hill & now 7 min on Plunge lifts, banging out lots of quality vertical is hard to pass up. This AM, bluebird 3" on crud from yesterday and no lift lines, 20k in 2 1/2 hours. Sounds like less of a shitshow than Silverton at the moment.

As a a tease from the archive, bro:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0969.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	452283

Name:  IMG_5084 (1).jpeg
Views: 706
Size:  168.7 KB
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Starting to get pretty excited for next week. Looks like it should be firing. Will be my first time down to Silverton - unguided or guided. Any areas or routes I should make sure to check out? Expert skier, A-Basin East wall is my home, bla bla.

Worth paying extra for a guided day Weds to learn the lay of the land? Or will I be able to figure it out myself and get more laps in the process?
    dedicated to the game, player

Silverton isn't terribly difficult to figure out but doing a guided day isn't a terrible idea. There's a lot of nooks and crannies, and the guides can help with that, but most of the main lines are mostly pretty obvious.
    With the storm this week there most likely won't be much terrain open the first couple days. You'll still have a great time, don't get me wrong, but don't expect everything on the map to open on Wednesday. Most likely things will progressively open as the week progresses, the storm slows down, and they bomb more stuff. Guided groups always get to go a little further than the unwashed, unguided masses.
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Silverton isn't terribly difficult to figure out but doing a guided day isn't a terrible idea. There's a lot of nooks and crannies, and the guides can help with that, but most of the main lines are mostly pretty obvious.
    With the storm this week there most likely won't be much terrain open the first couple days. You'll still have a great time, don't get me wrong, but don't expect everything on the map to open on Wednesday. Most likely things will progressively open as the week progresses, the storm slows down, and they bomb more stuff. Guided groups always get to go a little further than the unwashed, unguided masses.
    Have fun!
    Good advice. Getting a guide for Wednesday could pay off big time. Guided groups during this time of year get to poke into terrain earlier than unguided skiers, and I imagine on Wednesday they will want to get skiers on terrain early to help with skier compaction.

Low end totals for the next 5 days are in the 24-32" range so it's going to be good no matter what.

Fucking A. Heading down Friday, flying my $39 heli lap Saturday. Somehow got the hall pass to go the following weekend too. 2 short trips better than 1 long trip so I'll get my bang out of the unguided season pass. They raised the price from $150 to $199 but still a good deal.

I skied Breck last week. Someone was bitching the day pass cost $260 or something like that. I'd rather go heli skiing for $189.

I'll be down there this weekend. Do unguided tickets sell out or can you make a game time decision about which days to ski? Not sure yet if I'm gonna ski fri/sat or sat/sun and didn't get the season pass
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Heard Red Mtn pass closed and Silverton as well for high wind

All passes closed as well as the mountain today.

Buster is the road to the hill still closed too?

You guys are havin one! Looks wild down there!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air