Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grand Jury Duty

Grand Jury Duty

So I had to fill out a grand jury duty questioner... it asked if I would have schedule conflicts, and I assumed it would be something like a few days so I just marked some hospital shifts.

They said to appear for selection.

Someone said "oh no you'll be doing that for months." I have googled and it is super unclear what kind of time requirement a grand jury entails. Some websites say service is 4 months, other parts say a whole year. Can anyone clarify on this? That would completely screw me and my job over. What happens if you have planned vacations and such?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I just got excused from a two-month jury selection window; let me know if you want a copy of the letter I used.

Walk through security coated in WD40 and you'll slip right by.

I'm a little surprised your summons doesn't tell you. But yes, generally "juries" are empaneled for the duration of a case, which is a day or so for a standard DUI case, a week for a bigger criminal case or garden-variety civil case, or a month plus for a "big" case.

But grand juries sit for longer terms, usually measured in months. They usually don't meet every weekday during that time, but it's a long commitment.

There are both federal and state grand juries. This says CO state grand juries sit for 12 months: https://www.courts.state.co.us/Media...and_juries.pdf

A little poking around suggests that grand juries are empaneled for 18 months, and meet a few times a month.

A Scummit County grand jury maybe gets called up twice a year. For really big ski thefts that might rival Assspen.

It's so easy to get out of jury duty that it has become comical. But, you have to ask yourself the question of, if you were wrongly accused, wouldn't you want that intellect on the jury instead of the morans who didn't think of an excuse? As a citizen, the jury is your only protection from every form of "the man". It's the most concentrated form of voting.

Just let them know you just got back from China.

All you need to do is strenuously object.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah just tell them that you hate cops and you'll never rule for them. They'll kick you off. On the other hand though, you should stay on the jury and vote not guilty on everything.

There are also criminal and civil grand juries, at least in CA. Around here the grand jury is something you volunteer for.
    The civil grand jury investigates complaints about govt entities like towns and special districts.
    Then there's the federal grand jury, which you don't get a summons for but instead a call telling you that you didn't show up and there's a warrant for your arrest but you can avoid arrest by paying bail by buying an online money order and giving the code number to the federal marshal on the phone but you better hurry because they're coming to arrest you right now.

If it's criminal and in the 5th .. not a lot of cases fit the bill. One in Avon in particular comes to mind.

Then I should take some time and reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Yeah just tell them that you hate cops and you'll never rule for them. They'll kick you off. On the other hand though, you should stay on the jury and vote not guilty on everything.
    I should have included the gif in my post

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If you feel civic minded, it's eye opening experience. I was assigned a year. Every other Friday - often cancelled. If you don't want to do it - simply say "I don't believe in the grand jury process - it is a tool abused by prosecutors when they know they don't have enough evidence". Kinda true.

I should add - it's the only jury you'll ever be on where you get to ask questions to the witnesses, subpoena people/evidence - "I'm out of order?! You're out of order!!". The DA wants to get on your good side so you'll have fresh donuts and treats every morning. Each session is under 4 hrs.

One more to add: DA again wants to be in your good graces so if you can't make it one day -"sure buddy, we understand", etc.

For the record, I didn't serve my full year - long story but, in mature hindsight, I sort of wish I did just for the experience. I had interesting cases and it wasn't a burden really. The worst part was the other jurors - mostly dumb shits.
    Last edited by Carl_Mega; 02-13-2020 at 06:33 PM.

It actually sounds very interesting.

I'm all about civic mindedness. I'm up to my ears in civic mindedness. I already volunteer hundreds of hours a year. This will take from that and likely mess up my job in which I'm the only person in the role.

I can give up a week sure. But I can't give up a years worth of half days every other week or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I can give up a week sure. But I can't give up a years worth of half days every other week or whatever.
    Don't let me convince you one way or the other. In my selection, they let a lot of people go - some via the more malcontent route: "I think this is bullshit" & "not willing to do this" or the financial hardship/burden way. The (assistant) DA wants people who want to be there - if it's viewed as a drag, they know they'll get much harder push back.

I would actually be honored to be called - I find this shit fascinating in retirement. Are they OK with standing up and stretching/jogging around the room every hour or so?

I think it’d be interesting, if I had time; but current work commitments make it impossible.

Coworker got/took a month+ - paid - off of work for it.

If you can’t, we’ll, that’s a hell of a civic duty tax

Grand Jury Duty

Does GJ duty vary state to state? I don’t think it does.

The first rule of GJ duty is you don’t talk about GJ duty. Seriously, that’s the first rule. So, not that I’ve ever sat on a GJ, but I’ve heard it’s twice a month for a year, plus another six months of the same because you got held over for a specific case. I’ve also heard it’s a pretty cool process to be a part of. I hear that the GJ sort of runs the show and can ask questions and request evidence and witness testimony. I’ve heard it’s mostly drug BS with enough high level stuff mixed in to keep things interesting.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I should have included the gif in my post

You can't handle the tooth. No, seriously, you're a lawyer, not a dentist.

I can't believe Summit County is taking DD's rope ducking incident all the way to a GJ.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

What mayor's court cell is that guy rotting away in anyway?
    I still call it The Jake.

Judge Alvin 'JP' Valkenheiser's
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Judge Alvin 'JP' Valkenheiser's
    With Digital Underground?

This is starting to make sense.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Does GJ duty vary state to state? I don’t think it does.
    Federal grand juries are generally similar nationwide but the process varies tremendously at the state level.

MT, for example, does not have any state-level grand juries. All charging decisions are made by county attorneys.

How do you feel about Ham Sandwiches?