Backcountry Terrain in McCall ID?

I grew up in McCall and have lived in Seattle the last 4 years. I grew up downhill skiing since I was a youngin but have picked up backcountry skiing since moving to Seattle (fuck Stevens parking situation). I was thinking about making the move back to Idaho but from what I remember about the McCall area mountains is that they're pretty tame compared to the Cascades but I was just at the resorts back then. Anyone know what the backcountry terrain is like in McCall? Is there much available in terms of challenging terrain?

If you’ve got access to a sled, there’s plenty of gnar in the area. If not, you’re somewhat limited by access.

MegaStoke's right, you can get plenty rad near McCall but without a sled it's not easy. The road to Warm Lake has some skiing but it's not all that close to McCall.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    MegaStoke's right, you can get plenty rad near McCall but without a sled it's not easy. The road to Warm Lake has some skiing but it's not all that close to McCall.
    Oh that's a good thought. Lots of good memories out there. In high school we got towed behind a buddy's Ford Explorer from the hot springs to Warm Lake. Rough day for the skis. I'll keep that area in mind though especially since I'll probably be buying a place out near Donnelly.

Tempted to buy a sled but from what I've heard they're either expensive or maintenance nightmares.

Any recommended backcountry books for getting to know the area? I've been using these two for Washington and Oregon but there doesn't seem to be an Idaho version.

I live in the Boise area, but I've been into the Lick Creek area several times and stayed at the PPG Yurt there. IMO, that area has some of the best backcountry skiing in Idaho. It's a snow magnet and terrain options from mellow trees to sweet pillows to gnarly chutes. If I lived in McCall, I would ABSOLUTELY own a sled for the access back into the Lick Creek area. It is about 10 miles of groomed snow cat trail all the way in there. You wouldn't need one of the $15K beasts that all the cool kids have. I'd put $2-3K in a nice used one, take good care of it and I'd be back in there on a weekly basis.
    Other options with no sled: Head north OB at Brundage, Jug Mountain, (pretty tame on the west aspect that gets skied the most, but some gnar off the North side), Big Creek, which is on the way to Warm Lake. A bit further out is Banner Summit area, on the way to Stanley and I know McCall peeps that frequent that area along with plenty of Boiseans.
    I don't know of any guide maps books, but John Platt is based out of McCall, and his website documents almost every mountain in Idaho. He mainly does climbing, but he is a very proficient backcountry skier and he documents some of those trips in his site. http://www.splattski.com/
    Here is one of the videos that I made of the Lick Creek area. It will give you a good feel for the terrain around the yurt.

very limited personal experience there, but a good buddy lived in mccall/donnelly for a few years, and his experience lines up with what eagleskier says--a cheap mid-2000's used sled will serve you well for accessing lick creek. it's just to eliminate the miles of flat approach and get you close to the base of the terrain you want to ski. the terrain looks truly amazing. I am a lazy spoiled bastard in the tetons and I don't think I'd be too happy there, but if you enjoy exploring and challenging yourself with hardly anyone around, you'll ski some amazing steep lines.

and houses in donnelly are mad affordable.

I have skied big creek on the way to warm lake. nothing gnar, but fun and lapable in good snow.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskier View Post
    I live in the Boise area, but I've been into the Lick Creek area several times and stayed at the PPG Yurt there. IMO, that area has some of the best backcountry skiing in Idaho. It's a snow magnet and terrain options from mellow trees to sweet pillows to gnarly chutes. If I lived in McCall, I would ABSOLUTELY own a sled for the access back into the Lick Creek area. It is about 10 miles of groomed snow cat trail all the way in there. You wouldn't need one of the $15K beasts that all the cool kids have. I'd put $2-3K in a nice used one, take good care of it and I'd be back in there on a weekly basis.
    Other options with no sled: Head north OB at Brundage, Jug Mountain, (pretty tame on the west aspect that gets skied the most, but some gnar off the North side), Big Creek, which is on the way to Warm Lake. A bit further out is Banner Summit area, on the way to Stanley and I know McCall peeps that frequent that area along with plenty of Boiseans.
    I don't know of any guide maps books, but John Platt is based out of McCall, and his website documents almost every mountain in Idaho. He mainly does climbing, but he is a very proficient backcountry skier and he documents some of those trips in his site. http://www.splattski.com/
    Here is one of the videos that I made of the Lick Creek area. It will give you a good feel for the terrain around the yurt.
    Very helpful post, thanks. My dad is good friends with an owner of some of the yurts up there. I'll definitely be booking a trip for this winter there. That skiing looked great and probably steeper that it looks on video. I'm currently living in the Boise area as well so will be spending a lot of time in the Sawtooth area as well. That place seems like it could have a fair amount of backcountry gnar. Good chance I'll try out Big Creek or Jug this weekend.

Yep, I've heard a lot of people talk about how helpful a sled can be. I'll be saving for one of those, but it'll be behind a new (to me) pickup and mountain bike so probably a few years down the road.

Big thanks for all the suggestions.