Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I don't really understand what you're going on about, but I don't think your analogy is very good. It breaks down kinda like this:

Known knowns: Things you know you that you know - e.g. "My flight leaves in 3 hours. I don't want to miss it - security+walk to my gate takes approx 30mins and the flight boards 30 mins before departure, so I should get to the airport an hour early. (current best estimate)"

Known unknowns: Things you know that you don't know - e.g. "It's a holiday weekend and I'm not sure how much longer than usual I will have to wait at security, or if I'll be flagged for a random screening. I'll add 15 mins just to be safe. (contingency)"

Unknown unknowns: Things you don't know that you don't know. - e.g. "Welp, my uber got in an fender bender so I had to call another, and now that I'm here it turns out they only have 1 security gate open instead of the typical 3, so this is taking longer than usual. I wish I had planned to arrive an additional 15 mins early. (margin)"

The concept in implementation is simple: you should try to account for all 3 things (within reason) despite there being unknown unknowns. In this example that means get to the airport 1hr 30mins early.

Donald Rumsfeld said the third thing (unknown unknowns) is what usually causes the most trouble.
    Last edited by macon; 02-13-2020 at 01:42 PM. Reason: clarity
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

If you could work in bombing Iran it might be a better analogy ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Maybe I could but that's a bit of tangent. Rumsfeld didn't invent it he simply popularized it in the form of a soundbyte.
    It's a systems engineering concept that is taught in spacecraft design, among other fields as well.
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    .It's a systems engineering concept that is taught in spacecraft design, among other fields as well.
    yeah I'm sure OP uses it in his other job ... spacecraft design
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Maybe I could but that's a bit of tangent. Rumsfeld didn't invent it he simply popularized it in the form of a soundbyte.
    It's a systems engineering concept that is taught in spacecraft design, among other fields as well.
    ^^^ this ^^^

Standard project management concept as well. It has nothing to do with Rumsfeld or any war crimes he may have committed.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

swissiphic, Hoji would be proud of your Vulcan tinkering skills

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah I'm sure OP uses it in his other job ... spacecraft design
    "among other fields as well"

I was explaining the origin, rumsfeld learned about it from a nasa administrator.
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Was this prompted by the guy lost at Shames that they were posting about?

I hadn't seen any more news and feared the worst.
    I would say this is probably prompted by Insomnia.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I would say this is probably prompted by Insomnia.
    Actually...it was synergy between the guy lost at Shames and insomnia...that 5am wake up a few mornings ago was a blessing in disguise...lots of quiet time to cuddle with the cat. When he does his flip over on the back and relax thing, he usually wants a rear paw massage....so, cat dad obliged and massaged his rear paws and watched his typical reaction of bliss by splaying out his little toes...and then had that lightning strike of a visual image enter the mind...a mind's eye visual image of the avy probe sections oriented like the little bones in his paws, connected with webs of polyethylene film like the little connecting tissue between his phalanges. (or whatever they're called) The probeshoe idea was spawned.

Anyways, more conceptual refinement: the stacking of the alu sections ended up denting some at contact points due to my weight/impact force....so, I got to thinking....and while cleaning up my room, found my summer camping chair in a corner and while putting it into its stuffsack...noticed something that might transfer nicely to the probeshoe for creating bomber, robust, reinforced alu tube junctions/connections....

Name:  P1120772.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  P1120773.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  132.2 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 02-13-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    swissiphic, Hoji would be proud of your Vulcan tinkering skills
    I'm about halfway done with mods to the boot...thus far, the biggest game changer was the addition of adjustable stiffness forward flex. The chunk of dog ball rubber in the mechanism just happens to be the correct durometer rating for the task...smooth, soft, well damped, long stroke forward flex...if you want, or, keep incrementally increasing stiffness to locked out, better than stock stiffness cause in locked out mode, the compression of both upper and lower attachment points completely eliminate any fore/aft slop...kinda like the hoji boot system, but, still introduces a bit of damping compared to not using any dog ball rubber.

...if that all makes sense?
    Last edited by swissiphic; 02-14-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.