Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shift V2?

Shift V2?

Alright gear heads what do we think. How long until the shift gets an update. I know it’s super new but I’m just praying there’s a solution coming where you don’t have to click out of your skis when switching walk/ski modes.

Have there been any whispers?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You’re funny — good news it exists and its called the kingpin or tecton... in order to NOT “click out” as you said the toe would need to stay as pins thus eliminating the genius design of the shift so please crawl back in your hole.

No changes for 20/21 other than 10 din model introduced, and as pointed out staying in toes not possible and why would you care about that on a binding like the shift? If you are yo-yoing laps and transitioning a lot why not a traditional tech binding.

Are you frequently ripping skins without taking the ski off your foot? What kind of person wants this feature?

Just spent 6 straight days on shifts, 3 resort 3 touring - amazing bindings. Worked flawlessly.

I'd guess a 3 year product cycle before a refresh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    Are you frequently ripping skins without taking the ski off your foot? What kind of person wants this feature?
    Pretty much everyone who tours a lot.

Not the same person using the Shift.

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    1. Yes.
    2. Everyone who tours regularly. I don't need it on a shift (or similar binding) I wouldn't get a shift for regular touring use however.

There are plenty of ways to improve to the shift. This isn't high on the list.

1) more heel elasticity
    2) improved toe height adjustment that doesn't loosen over time
    3) stronger toe to ski connection (button screw strength and plate strength)
    4) more secure break retention in tour mode
    5) a second climb bar for the whiners
    6) stronger toe lock out in climb mode

Just here to chime in as a guy who tours with reasonable regularity and has for a decade, but who has never ripped a skin without taking my skis off.

If that extra 30-60 seconds per transition is that big a deal to you, you're just a quant-cunt. Slow the fuck down and enjoy your surroundings.

I get that there are some spots where it may be advantageous due to steepness/exposure/whatever, but 99% of the time, it's nothing more than dick waving, well, skin-waving technically, but let's split the difference and call it "skin flute waving." The argument could be made that in those scenarios, taking a couple minutes to dig out a proper platform would be the best practice, but that extra few minutes might mean you don't get another lap in.

^ eh some people (here) say this about anything, taking your helmet off, layering, whatever - "if you're in so much of a hurry fuck you" blah blah blah. it isn't about the speed, it's just nice not to fiddle with an extra thing. it's also not remotely difficult to do. but by all means, stop and smell the roses all you want. don't you tour on a "heavy" praxis layup anyway?

e: lol and how is digging a fucking platform "best practice"? good lord. why not just build a small igloo to transition in?

I see it as a convenience... not having to posthole and get snow up the cuffs, not having to get snow in the pin holes or on gloves, etc... and as a small but important step in energy efficiency during a long day; to put the pack down and rip skins while standing on the skis is easy. Shrug

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ^ eh some people (here) say this about anything, taking your helmet off, layering, whatever - "if you're in so much of a hurry fuck you" blah blah blah. it isn't about the speed, it's just nice not to fiddle with an extra thing. it's also not remotely difficult to do. but by all means, stop and smell the roses all you want. don't you tour on a "heavy" praxis layup anyway?
    The streamlining argument makes sense to me, there's no doubt about it. However, touring and transitioning to me are inherently fiddly propositions: I piss, I don an extra layer and a shell, I pull out my goggles, change hats and/or put on a helmet, drink tea, etc. Taking a ski off to rip a skin to me is a nice opportunity to stretch a little bit.

I do tour on a heavy core Praxis, but with relatively light boots and bindings...because first and foremost I'm a skier. I enjoy skinning and touring, but I'm going up for the sublime pleasure of the down. I don't get that to the same extent weight weenie skis. Therefore, for my style there are other parts of the setup where it makes more sense to trim weight.

It should also be noted that my ROM/general flexibility is on par with the Tin Man's.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I see it as a convenience... not having to posthole and get snow up the cuffs, not having to get snow in the pin holes or on gloves, etc... and as a small but important step in energy efficiency during a long day; to put the pack down and rip skins while standing on the skis is easy. Shrug
    This.

Sometimes it's just better to.

Sometimes it's not.

Seems strange to get so steamed up about it.

Who are the likes of we to argue with GM's reasonable regularity though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yeah, I just posted in another thread about how I'm decidedly NOT in any sort of hurry when touring, but I always rip skins with skis on. The options usually come down to steeping out of both skis and postholing to my nuts, stepping out one ski at a time and awkwardly balancing, or ripping skins with skis on. The third option is virtually always the easiest and most pleasant.

wow can I drink your bath water

I unskin with the skis on or off my boot but I had a buddy who never took skis off cuz she could put skins on tele skis with out taking the skis off ... what is the correct nomenclature for that ?

Not every skin track goes up the whole way to the summit. Thus not just having one single time/place to prepare for the down.
    For tracks that yo-yo to the summit and have a 10-12 turn down to a face to the next climb, its advantageous to rip the skins while still pinned in. Ski to the bottom, no transition other than pulling skins while pinned in, and at the bottom you remount your skins and take your little break and smell the roses. This way you don't have 2 different "smell the roses" transition breaks within 2 minutes of each other.

I agree with Adrenalated. Ripping skins with skis on is usually just easier, especially if you're lapping pow. I think I do a better job keeping snow off my skins that way too.

I splitboard and even I occasionally rip skins without taking off the skis.

Thread drift away from Shift V2, sorry....

But the JTT clip on ripping skins without taking your skis off still stands the test of time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yzVWrdWKLt4

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Same, definitely my take has been to keep skis on as much as possible. More stable transition platform, no chance of a ski without a leash taking off downhill, no snow clogging the pins and causing UBR, just better efficiency. I do like the way my Shifts ski, really no issues with DH performance or durability, but for actual touring I prefer the vipecs.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had a buddy who never took skis off cuz she could put skins on tele skis with out taking the skis off ... what is the correct nomenclature for that ?
    “Contortionist “

Skis on + skins off = no postholio = no ski flying Downhill = faster transitions when it’s apocalyptic weather and you’re nuts are turning to icicles, but there’s a time and a place for everything right?

She would lay the skins out on the ground, get down & clip them on ... pretty fit that gal !

I've had at had situations where my balance aint so good cuz of the terrain or 2 feet of blower, so if/when I fall over trying to rip skins with the ski still on the boot its going to take WAY more energy just to get up than it would to just take the ski off SO its about doing the easiest/best thing for the situation

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    You’re funny — good news it exists and its called the kingpin or tecton... in order to NOT “click out” as you said the toe would need to stay as pins thus eliminating the genius design of the shift so please crawl back in your hole.

Great news is im on tectons but it’s still a tech toe. Pretty damn good but not quite as confidence inspiring as the shift toe. Also not comparable with non tech toe boots.

Idk stand and rip em off or unclip but in general it’s definitely nice to be able to choose especially in pow

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    She would lay the skins out on the ground, get down & clip them on ... pretty fit that gal !

I've had at had situations where my balance aint so good cuz of the terrain or 2 feet of blower, so if/when I fall over trying to rip skins with the ski still on the boot its going to take WAY more energy just to get up than it would to just take the ski off SO its about doing the easiest/best thing for the situation
    Hah that is amazing (putting skins on while in bindings), no way I'm flexible enough to do that. I'm a stocky guy with short legs and I can still rip skins while in bindings and used to do it, especially in powder, just a minor convenience thing that adds up in terms of time/energy savings over a day with lots of transitions. We usually take the longer breaks/eat at the bottom of runs (in safe positions) since you are typically more sheltered, I like to put skins on and then sit on my skis or pack depending on snow for those breaks. I kind of miss ripping skins with skis on with Shifts but not a deal breaker and I agree with XavierD's priority list for improvements.