Another Hollywood Ski Movie-Downhill

Sadly Blades of Glory is rated higher on RT...

it's supposed to be a play on "Force Majeure"
    I'll still probably see it based on the skiing, Will Ferrell and JLD which all really like a lot
    but yea- not sure if funny or not that funny. I'd prefer funny but we'll see
    skid luxury

It's horrible. Not really a ski movie. It's more about a wimpy guy who flakes on his family in a time of crisis.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Title of this thread "should" be: "Yet Another Pointless Hollywood Remake of a Well Regarded/Critically Acclaimed Foreign Film"...

For the record, I have not seen the original film, although it is on my "to watch" list. But I saw the trailer for the Will Ferrell/Julia Louise Dreyfus remake and it looks excruciatingly horrible. Definitely no desire to see it whatsoever.
    Last edited by dookey67; 02-10-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I just watched “Force Majeure”. Thought it was pretty good and there was one decent ski scene. Downhill looks shite.

I can’t get too enthusiastic about Downhill (though I'll probably eventually watch it, because skiing). I saw Force Majeure, and I liked it well enough, but, one, I wasn’t crazy about it, and two, I’m just not seeing a remake of that working so well with two leading comedy actors, given that FM wasn’t comedic in the ha-ha sense. Force Majeure was good as an irony-laden cringe-fest, with an interesting take on destination ski vacations (with the modern downhill ski resort portrayed as a dark mechanized hell) and the kinds of people who go on them. But a lot of the key scenes just seemed ambiguous for the sake of being ambiguous; thought provoking, but ultimately kind of annoying. (As for the dynamic of a guy, in a couple, revealing instinctive selfishness in a particular moment of danger, I thought The Loneliest Planet did it better.)

So, staring at the multiplex lineup, we capitulated. It is a mess for sure, and I feel for Elaine, because I like her, but, she wasn't just a star, she was a producer, so she's at fault, for sure. But, the original Force Majeure guys aren't off the hook, either, because they were involved in screenwriting. It's a pretty sad middle class story (although most middle class people can't afford a beautiful two bedroom suite with full kitchen in a hotel in Austria, but, hey, it's the movies), that suddenly tries to be a comedy at certain moments. He's a dork, always thought so, so, casted well, I guess. He can't act. We both enjoyed the scenery in Austria. It was primarily filmed in Ischgl and Fiss, which look like nice places to ski, so, there's some eye candy there. The actual ski scenes are filmed very realistically, and they portray the experience of lift to slope back to hotel to the non skier really well, if you disregard the heli skiing debacle. They are a family of gapers to advanced gapers, though. It's just that the story is kind of absurd, especially the sexual content.

If there is nothing else at the multiplex, or it comes on Netflix for free soon, maybe watch it. Benny gives it 25% rotten tomatoes, or, however they score. Pretty poor.

Not funny. No good skiing. At least it's only 86 minutes long.

I saw my very own Force 9 majeeeiuurrre last year when Fuckyoucat skied his Force 9s for an entire day of the BBIU (rip bobby baker, bobby baker will live again)

Absolute shit. We actually walked out before it was over.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Was it the masturbation scene?

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Absolute shit. We actually walked out before it was over.
    We thought about it. Worst movie I've paid to see in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Guess we didn’t make it that far.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Think Elaine and young John Kennedy, Austrian Ski town style.

about to embark on this terrible movie. big fan of Will and Julia but I know it blows.
    red box 1.25 off and nothing else to rent. Cost me. 52 , sounds right.
    was gonna own it for 3.99 but no way it's going up there with Better Off Dead, Hot Tub Time Machine, etc.

gotta see Force Majeure now
    Last edited by willywhit; 01-05-2021 at 08:03 PM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Wow, read my long review above, and it's really kind of sad how we've lost the time waste of just going down to the multiplex and checking out some movie for fun with some popcorn. Is that ever coming back? Will children never experience a movie in a room with a hundred other people?

Wow, read my long review above, and it's really kind of sad how we've lost the time waste of just going down to the multiplex and checking out some movie for fun with some popcorn. Is that ever coming back? Will children never experience a movie in a room with a hundred other people?
    Damnit, this was most likely the last movie I saw in a theater. We have to come back from this!

Don’t worry. Movie Theaters will come back- at some point. It may be another year but they’ll come back
    edit: I did watch downhill on my IPad awhile ago and it kinda really really sucked.

Could not get through Downhill , much suckage

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I do enjoy watching a movie in a room full of people, but also not a fan of idiots chatting, or on their phones or kicking the back of my chair.
    We used to see plenty of screeners through the rock radio WBCN. smuggle in beers, snacks. good times.
    great example is pulp fiction. It was a BIG DEAL to get on the list to see the screener. People stood up and applauded at the end. Fast forward a few months and I'm in Boulder for a week skiing summit county with an old friend. Gotta see this new Pulp Fiction deal, such a trip. local Boulder cineplex, actually bought tickets and the crowd response was weird.
    The dark humor wasn't going over well.Bring out the gimp ?? What ??
    interesting how different parts of the country react differently to the SAME movie. good example, Very Bad Things screener in Boston, Cleveland Circle. Many left , early on, dead hooker scene, very dark but kinda funny. noticed that most of those leaving, had a date i.e. SHE was pissed. we are leaving. bachelor party movie like hangover but dark.

Downhill had that AWKWARD vibe, almost like Neighbors with Belushi and Aykroyd.
    That uptight rich american family on vacation having issues.
    Not fun, in real life. Not funny, in a movie.
    I wantmy .52 cents back

I do enjoy watching a movie in a room full of people, but also not a fan of idiots chatting, or on their phones or kicking the back of my chair.
    We used to see plenty of screeners through the rock radio WBCN. smuggle in beers, snacks. good times.
    great example is pulp fiction. It was a BIG DEAL to get on the list to see the screener. People stood up and applauded at the end. Fast forward a few months and I'm in Boulder for a week skiing summit county with an old friend. Gotta see this new Pulp Fiction deal, such a trip. local Boulder cineplex, actually bought tickets and the crowd response was weird.
    The dark humor wasn't going over well.Bring out the gimp ?? What ??
    interesting how different parts of the country react differently to the SAME movie. good example, Very Bad Things screener in Boston, Cleveland Circle. Many left , early on, dead hooker scene, very dark but kinda funny. noticed that most of those leaving, had a date i.e. SHE was pissed. we are leaving. bachelor party movie like hangover but dark.

Downhill had that AWKWARD vibe, almost like Neighbors with Belushi and Aykroyd.
    That uptight rich american family on vacation having issues.
    Not fun, in real life. Not funny, in a movie.
    I wantmy .52 cents back
    Last edited by willywhit; 01-06-2021 at 11:03 AM.