Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Those who sized down due to age... yay or nay?

For those out there that went one size down in a ski when they felt like there was a bit less gas in the tank, so to speak (to be fair, for different people this could be any decade in life)...

Overall what did you find?

The thing is I’m a shorter guy at 5’7”, and while I’ve been skiing the 180 size, I’m concerned the 173 size is constructed differently and designed for 130-lb people, and not stable.

Also, I often think of stability only in terms of going 35 mph on hard snow... but up on the hill on steep variable snow, does length really matter for someone who skis such terrain cautiously?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

demo and see what works for you?

I lost weight and also a couple of small injuries were enough for me to realise I don't bounce as well / get paid for time off as a contractor.

I swapped the cruise missiles out of my quiver when I started skiing with my wifes family more often, I do miss the ability to straight-line somethings once in a while, but the compromise isn't bad.

I went from 190+ on everything to a few nice more resort orientated skis. Travel quiver for Europe is now Black Crows Deamons (188) and I'm either picking up some Head Super Shapes or Rossi Pursuits and selling the GS sticks.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

I've collected a couple of 190's that were too long for a fading advanced 160lber ( I got a deal on them ) and I wouldn't do that anymore

So I definaltey wouldnt atempt to size up anymore which is I supose net the same as sizing down and I'm at that point where I would go closer to 180 than the usual 185 but I havent bought any skis in a few years cuz I already have too many
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Getting older and having lost some weight (now 167), I've been dropping from mid-180's for all-mtn skis down to 174-180 and have been pleased with the results. I'd rather occasionally deal with the speed limit of a shorter ski than ski timidly all the time on one that's too long. That said, the "short" skis I prefer are always stiff-ish, metal, and with longer turn radii (20m minimum) to make up for the loss in length, such as MX98, FX95HP, old metal Katanas, etc. Making big high-angle carves at 40-50mph is no big deal on these skis, even if it's only ~175cm.

This place really is slipping.

Pop a pill boomers

^ Not a boomer, but glad to see folks keeping things in check, lol. If it helps, my pow skis are still over 190 though.

Guess it's time to go register at Pugski...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Not a boomer, but glad to see folks keeping things in check, lol. If it helps, my pow skis are still over 190 though.

Guess it's time to go register at Pugski...sigh.
    Lots of keyboard heros and Clydesdaless among us.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Lots of keyboard heros and Clydesdaless among us.

... Thom
    As a Clydesdale I still worship my 200cm lotus 120. Among other large stiff fat skis like LP or kastle, etc
    And I was amazed at anyone that could ride them well at 170 pounds.
    . . .

Do like mntlion suggested and demo something you have your eye on. Not one thing wrong with downsizing to fit your need/age/ability. Ski what works for you and feel makes you a better skier enjoying your day on the mountain.

Just cleaned out my dad's shed and came across my racing skis (205cm) and mogul skis (203cm) from 30 years ago! Base grind this weekend and binding mount - If Plake can ...

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1122
Size:  223.6 KB

Pops demoed a whole bunch of skis and ended up downsizing from 202 race sticks to 172 carvers due to his age and he hasn't looked back. New skis are way more forgiving and he loves them. I can tell his skiing improved as well, granted he doesn't ski as fast as he used to. Probably has less to do with length and more to do with them not being super g sticks.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Pops demoed a whole bunch of skis and ended up downsizing from 202 race sticks to 172 carvers due to his age and he hasn't looked back. New skis are way more forgiving and he loves them. I can tell his skiing improved as well, granted he doesn't ski as fast as he used to. Probably has less to do with length and more to do with them not being super g sticks.
    Someone will be by your father's house in the not too distant future to revoke his Man Card. Please let him know that they will be coming.

I have some chargers like OG 186 BG and OG spur for those days. I also have 192 protest which is quite easy and OG 189 toons. But lately have added 183 Corvus and 185 (184) QST 118 which is quite easy. So I say have both

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I love these threads that allow (and even encourage) geriatric dick waving.
    ....the shriveled dick waving thread
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Obviously the demo advice is key, but I think it very much has to do with ski shape, construction, and what you're hoping to do with the ski. I've found that on twin tips like my OG Jeffrey 110s, I love the longer length because it's easy to release the tails. On the other hand, my 185 Enforcer 100s with metal and not as much tail rocker (which on a straight pull measure the same as the 181 Jeffreys) were awesome on groomers until I hit firmer, East coast bumps and then the tails felt too grabby - really hard to release them. In contrast, I love my 186 Fisher Big Stix 110's because the carbon-stiffness feels more agile than a metal-stiffness, they can carve but are more forgiving.

My concession to down-sizing recently came when I made a last minute decision to get 177 Mantras M5s rather than the 184s because of the Blister review, which preferred the versatility of the 177 (and that's from reviewers that love the 190 Bibby Pro). Personally, I'd rather be able to hit bumps at the edge of the trail than straightline a groomer, but everyone has different ski preferences. I haven't regretted it and use them as my firmer day ski.

TGR street-cred wise? I'm officially waiting for a 200+, extra-stiff Billy Goat (until then, I'll use my 184).
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

an old guy should be able to stay on a "power ski " long as he stays fat enough to bend it ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    This place really is slipping.
    It's not the site that's slipping.

I haven't downsized. I've gone to softer skis with a shorter turn radius for soft snow. I still like non FIS GS skis for firm groomers. I think that as you get older a bigger quiver helps. When you're young and strong you can make anything work. As you get older it helps to have specific skis for specific conditions. I can tell you that if I had to ski what I was on in my twenties I wouldn't be skiing any more.

I can also tell you that making fun of old people won't keep you from becoming one. Trying to ski like you're 20 when you're 45 will.

I haven't exactly downsized with age, but I've changed the type of skis I prefer.

Ten years ago I was on 184 Legend Pros, 105/115 and 185 Cochise/186 Bodacious pretty much all the time. Heavy skis with two sheets of Titanal and pretty much zero tail rocker. I tended to ski faster than the terrain wanted you to most of the time, and loved the "point it and pray" capability of these skis.

These days my daily driver is a 188 Rustler 11, but because of the tail rocker, flex and lighter construction it's a much more forgiving ski that I can shut down in moments of panic rather than just straightlining it. Actually, guys 20 years younger are changing their preferences in similar fashion, so I can't say I'm embarrassed.

I'm with the people who say to demo the ski you're interested in in whatever size you think appropriate. "Which" ski makes a difference.

(As a point of reference, I skied the "revised" 2021 editions of the Cochise, Bonafide and Brahma last week and found the 185 Cochise and 183 Brahma were just right (5'8", 170) but found the 183 Bonafide a balky handful until I got over about 25 mph. On the advice of the reps, I tried the 177 the next day and it was $$$.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    ... I can tell you that if I had to ski what I was on in my twenties I wouldn't be skiing any more.

I can also tell you that making fun of old people won't keep you from becoming one. Trying to ski like you're 20 when you're 45 will.
    I wonder how many young studs would be skiing if it meant being on a 207 Dynamic VR 17. Ask me how I know.

Of course, none of us want to go back, except for Didier:

https://youtu.be/a3T5buoT0wk

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-11-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I find myself wishing I had got the 182 Backland 107s instead of the 189s. My age (63) and my choice of softer boots and being a tele skier are all conspiring to tell me to go shorter next time. If I were alpine, I think I could handle these better but the way I roll, I feel like the tips are just beyond my reach. I moved from boot center to +2 and that helped but they still feel huge to me. I want to be quicker even if it costs me some top end speed in the deep. These are not really a hard charging ski for me in this size. And they are just too big to get through tight spots the way I am used to.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Btw, this is one of the best TGR quotes I've seen in a while. I've actually used it with patients since...

Thanks Old Goat!
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

I think that as you get older a bigger quiver helps.
    And by the way, can you explain this to my wife? My ski hoarding is not a flaw, it's medically necessary!