Anderson Cabin last week

Anderson Cabin Jan 31 to Feb 4

"Shoulda been here last week", you inevitably hear from the smug local bastard that skied 1.2m of -10C blower pow the week before freezing levels hit 10,000 ft and then arctic outflows hit. "The biking was so amazing last week, too bad about the low pressure and 6 more days of rain in the forecast". "The wind was so great last week, doesn't look like enough to get a kite off the ground this week, you may want to go snorkling instead of kite boarding".

Yeah, should have been here last week... Well, last week, we were there. It snowed 1.2 metres (4 ft) the previous 4 days at similar elevation, it snowed 20 cms the day we climbed in there, and another 20 the next day all at about -2 or -3C, just below freezing for you illiterate yanks. Then it cooled off to about -8C and snowed another 30cms. It was bomber, blower, and all ours.

We joked about it and toasted that very fact numerous times with various libations - scotch, schnapps, sneaky petes (look it up), wine and beer. Oh yes my friends, the guys and gals that were there "last week" were supplied. But, I get ahead of myself here. First you need more information. "Where, what, is this Anderson Cabin you speak of garyfromterrace?!”

“Tell us, tell us more” you implore!” OK, ok I'll tell you - but quit yelling. Fuck, there's no need for exclamation marks!

So, Anderson cabin (the original one) was the brainchild of a number of adventurous Terrace families over 50 years ago. They wanted a little cabin in the wilderness that wasn't too, too hard to access. They also must have been very avid (and intelligent) skierfolk as they plunked that little fella in some of the most varied and amazing terrain packed into a relatively small area that I've had the pleasure to experience in my wanderings around these parts. With a Herculean effort (and what must have been many, many trips up the mountain) they erected a comfie little cabin and would head to it in winter and summer, eventually others caught wind of the location, and the original families were happy to share their cozy alpine hut with all.

Sadly, after a number of years the Anderson became more and more rustic and required more and more upkeep, and eventually the little fella was just a bit too far gone. In the meantime our local backcountry society was looking for a worthy project to further its mandate of promoting and protecting non-motorized activities (like backcountry skiing), and a rebuild of the Anderson Cabin appeared to be an excellent fit. Permits were applied for, avalanche assessments were made and fundraising efforts were focused.
    MRBS (Mount Remo Backcountry Society) members and passionate local back-country skiers (along with heli-companies and local merchants and suppliers) worked hundreds and hundreds of hours to build the new Anderson cabin and the results are breathtaking.

But it's all about the skiing for you isn't it? You single-minded selfish son of a bitch. Well let me tell you, ya should have been here last week...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	down.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	598.6 KB 
ID:	314896

Name:	down-2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	314897

Two hours into the six hour approach. Someone is still happy. 5.5 hours into the approach with headlamps on, not so much. The missus had done bigger days, but not too many.

Name:	down-3.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	314898

Of our 3 ski days (not including the day to walk in, and another to ski out) we only had one with visibility. But what a day it was, a beautiful alpine run called "Under the big top" was our destination.

Name:	down-4.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	861.4 KB 
ID:	314901

Mrs garyfromterrace enjoying the ride.

Name:	down-5.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	841.8 KB 
ID:	314904

This is Mark. Mark had the brilliant idea of heli-ing in all of our extra gear, sleeping stuff, food and booze if/when we could get a window. We had huge storms earlier in the week, and I basically was on-call from the pilot. We got extremely lucky and had about an hour window to fly three days before we were scheduled to go in. The pilot convinced the engineer to fly with us and help us hump our shit into the hut, quickly (as the window was not expected to be a long one). I broke trail through waist deep snow and we ferried the stuff in. Within 10 minutes we were back in the chopper, and heading home.

Good thing too, 30 minutes later the vis crapped out, the snow started falling and the next flight window would be 4 days later. The pilot said a few times that we were brilliant, flying our crap in ahead of time, given the flight conditions expected. Although I corrected him the first time that it was Mark's idea, I figured I'd let him keep considering me a genius. Am I a bad person?

Name:	down-6.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	314906

This is Bill. He's from Hazelton and slays big lines in the Roche De Boule with a hardy group of skiers in the middle of nowhere. Bill writes and sings his own songs, plays guitar and banjo, makes his own beer and other booze and lives off grid raising hops and sheep and llamas and stuff. He's cooler than me and you and also skis better than me and you too. Well 'cept for Z-bo, mofro and alkasqualik.

Name:	down-9.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	314913

This is Meredith. She's one of the founding directors of MMC and was chairman of the board for years. Smart and nice, that sums up Mer. So great to share a hut with folks you really like.

Name:	down-10.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	314915

This is Andreas. We've been friends for 29 years. Our ski adventures include ski touring in Norway, Switzerland, some first descents in the Howsen Range, and skiing refrozen mank past ice climbers off the highest mountain in Czech Republic. He got me a job ski instructing in Austria, skiing for promotional vids for a ski area he worked at and an after hours snowcat ride to skin up in the dark to a tin can mountain hut perched on a cliff on the Austrian/Italian border. He's from Heidelberg and decided last minute to ditch his planned trip to a buddie's hut in Montafon, Austria because the snow there sucked and he flew to Terrace. It did not suck at the Anderson Cabin. Andreas makes good decisions.

Name:	down-12.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	458.4 KB 
ID:	314920

Yep, good idea buddy.

Name:	down-13.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	314924

Name:	down-14.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	314927

Name:	down-15.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	314938

My wifey getting a face shot. Sorry, can you say that here? Yeah, cool, thanks.

Name:	down-16.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	314939

Name:	down-17.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	314940

Name:	down-18.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	314941

Mrs GfT did manage to get an inordinate number of photos here. Well, it's because she sleeps with me. Sorry, that's just the way the world works.

Name:	down-19.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	929.4 KB 
ID:	314942

Name:	down-20.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	314943

Andreas again.

Name:	down-21.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	406.3 KB 
ID:	314944

Bill again.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 02-09-2020 at 11:22 PM.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Name:	down-22.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	314961

This is Sebastian. We met at Arolla, Switzerland. He'd been going there for a week a year practically all his life (dear Seb's ma and pa - that's good parenting) and has guided me around there for a number of years. Having someone who can hand-hold you around in a white-out and get you to the entrance to a rock lined couloir where you actually have some depth perception is a good friend indeed. I was really happy to be able to guide him around Shames later on in his trip to town. Seb is also from Heidelberg and he bailed on his hut trip to Montafon as well. Good decision buddy.

Name:	down-23.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	314962

This is Polly. She threw a surprise 50th birthday party for her boyfriend. She invited all her friends and was very very persuasive in order to get absolutely all her friends to attend. It was quite an affair with live band and free booze. It was also a surprise for everyone that attended as it was actually a surprise wedding. Fuck, I went to a birthday party and a wedding broke out. When she grabbed the microphone when she and her hubby appeared on stage in wedding duds, the first thing she said was "Gotcha!" You'd like Polly.

Name:	down-24.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	314963

Name:	down-25.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	314964

Name:	down-26.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	314965

More Meredith

Name:	down-27.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	824.7 KB 
ID:	314966

The hut is the little black dot centre right

Name:	down-28.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	314967

Name:	down-29.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	958.1 KB 
ID:	314968

Name:	down-30.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	314969

Name:	down-31.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	314970

Name:	down-32.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	314971

Name:	down-33.jpg 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	314972

And, a couple more of the missus. Well that wraps it up. Last week at the Anderson Cabin. You should have been there.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 02-09-2020 at 11:37 PM.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I really do want to get there one day.

I mean it's not Boulder CO but it doesn't look bad

Fantastic Gary!! Deep and got the vis

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I really do want to get there one day.

I mean it's not Boulder CO but it doesn't look bad
    Oh yes you do mate. Yeah, the boys did a bang up job (not that I've been in too many new huts in my time, OK I suppose Burnie in the early days counts...). Anyway, the terrain coupled with the ease of access (and egress) makes this one pretty damn special. Glad my first trip in was with such good mates.

I'm hoping to get to Vail soon.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Fantastic Gary!! Deep and got the vis

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks man! Hahaha, yeah mostly. There is a ton of tree skiing there too, which came in very handy for 2 of the days there where vis was limited.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Are you accepting interns for the 20/21 season?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Are you accepting interns for the 20/21 season?
    Ha! Good one mate. Now that I'm considering such a thing, would you be available for cooking, ski tuning, and ski valet for the months of Jan and Feb next year? We have considerable room in the garage and well built shelving units that could be made into a sleeping arrangement (my wife's handywork of course). Though it is not heated, the temperature rarely drops below -10C in times of Arctic outflow.

You really need to come here my friend!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Ha! Good one mate. Now that I'm considering such a thing, would you be available for cooking, ski tuning, and ski valet for the months of Jan and Feb next year? We have considerable room in the garage and well built shelving units that could be made into a sleeping arrangement (my wife's handywork of course). Though it is not heated, the temperature rarely drops below -10C in times of Arctic outflow.

You really need to come here my friend!
    You know that beats some ski bum couch surf accommodations I’ve frequented - always worth it! Do duties include putting your boots on for you like they do at Deer Valley? Pre-warming is essential.

I’ve ticked off a few ski destinations and am getting closer to your northern climes on the list. Meanwhile, we will be forming perfect moguls for you down here - I know how much you miss them.

You know that beats some ski bum couch surf accommodations I’ve frequented - always worth it! Do duties include putting your boots on for you like they do at Deer Valley? Pre-warming is essential.

I’ve ticked off a few ski destinations and am getting closer to your northern climes on the list. Meanwhile, we will be forming perfect moguls for you down here - I know how much you miss them.
    Yes, boot pre-warming services would be required! Just like Deer Valley. Thank you.

Awesome you're getting closer to pulling the trigger man. Very happy that you and the gang are forming my moguls, sorry to say I probably won't be getting down there this year, though there does remain an outside chance as always. Boy, sounds like Xtal is a bit of a shit show this year. Hope you're coping with that OK.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Awesome pics Gary- I really need to get out there one of these years.

GfT, well played
    looks fantastic

Do duties include putting your boots on for you like they do at Deer Valley? Pre-warming is essential.
    Achem..... You have no clue what yer getting yourself into........if and when I get the rare as a diamond in a gold mine invitation to ski with Her Maltin, the qualifier includes being his on slope ski caddy so he can change skis mid run to optimize his skiing in response to changing snow conditions.

Sometimes you just gotta lose to win though...skiing with Gary is top three for quality of total experience value... every. single. time.

Name:  24059744_10155728045131399_2143969405335194905_o.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  39.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Master of mediocrity.

Well fucking done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

this picture seems appropo

" He's cooler than me and you and also skis better than me and you too "

Name:  rad dude.jpg
Views: 3131
Size:  81.0 KB

I concur, not many people could pull off this look, Bill was voted " Raddest Dude " and won a cat ski trip, 12 rippers in the cat, lotsa figure 11's ... lotsa fun
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Solid work as always Gary

Thanks for sharing. Another goes on the list.

Solid!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Yes, boot pre-warming services would be required! Just like Deer Valley. Thank you.

Awesome you're getting closer to pulling the trigger man. Very happy that you and the gang are forming my moguls, sorry to say I probably won't be getting down there this year, though there does remain an outside chance as always. Boy, sounds like Xtal is a bit of a shit show this year. Hope you're coping with that OK.
    You have been about as close to that mess as I have - I've been busy skiing your fine country and elsewhere! However, we'll see how this holiday weekend goes....

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Awesome pics Gary- I really need to get out there one of these years.
    Thank Hutz! You really do, very family friendly too.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    GfT, well played
    looks fantastic
    Thanks, ::: :::!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Well fucking done.
    Cheers Brit!

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Solid work as always Gary
    Thanks AP, skiing HBM tomorrow if you can call in sick haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Another goes on the list.
    Thanks Norse! Still waiting for that return trip buddy. As I mentioned to Mr. Hutz, it's a pretty family friendly hut (winter or summer), very quick/easy heli flight from YXT and other heli pad even closer.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Solid!
    Cheers buddy!

You have been about as close to that mess as I have - I've been busy skiing your fine country and elsewhere! However, we'll see how this holiday weekend goes....
    Nice, good luck man. Seriously.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

w000titties, GfT.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    w000titties, GfT.
    No higher compliment can be attained Mr. Highmen.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Great stoke, Gary!

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Great stoke, Gary!

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Thanks Shorty! Hope you're having some fun in the rockies man.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Bravo. Real Stoke!