Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stop Skiing in Jeans. It’s Not the 1970s Anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CB2A379-B8B1-43B2-B944-2BE8155F3F69.jpeg 
Views:	448 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	314751

While denim daredevils ruled the slopes last century, today’s skiers generally prefer high-tech snow pants. A brief history

https://www.wsj.com/articles/stop-sk....co/bf3sKc73Ig

By Jacob Gallagher
    Feb. 5, 2020 3:10 pm ET

PITY THE denim-wearing skier. The bottom line is that “skiing in jeans is a terrible idea,” said James Fox, 48, a digital librarian in Acton, Mass., and lifelong skier-turned-snowboarder. As he pointed out, jeans are neither waterproof nor insulating. Those who brave the bluff in jeans are often inexperienced bunny-hill bumblers who don’t know any better.

Ribbing them is a rite of passage for seasoned skiers. Last month, Backcountry.com, an online outdoor retailer, issued a knowing promo email with the cautionary subject line, “Friends don’t let friends ski in jeans.” The inside joke even turns up on bumper stickers like the popular “Dick Cheney Skis in Jeans,” repurposed as partisan political swipes.

Yet not so very long ago, wearing jeans on the mountain conveyed insouciance. In the 1970s, irreverent ski bums favored denim over one-piece ensembles that might be seen as trying too hard. In the satirical 1980 guide “The Official Preppy Handbook,” an elite, young ski enthusiast is shown wearing straight-legged Levi’s “which don’t really segue into boots.” And in 1987, jocular rappers the Beastie Boys similarly wore straight-off-the-street outfits, including crinkly jeans, while skiing in Missoula, Mont. For the cocksure slopester, practical ski pants were seemingly not an option.

If anything, denim’s cool factor on the slopes arguably rose in the later 1980s and ’90s when nervy snowboarders would glide off snow-packed ramps in faded, wide-legged jeans. Those snowboarders were either confident that they would never fall or, more likely, unwilling to let judgmental peers deduce that they worried about taking a spill. The jeans were part of a rider’s “steeze,” said Kyle Edson, 26, an apparel designer in New York and longtime skier. “I remember seeing that out West a lot as a kid, tall tees and jeans—really baggy jeans.”

Even though technical fabrics supplanted denim, so vital were jeans to the history of snowboarding that in 2010, snowboard brand Burton dressed the Olympic team in waterproof Gore-Tex ski pants screen printed to look like ratty, faded denim.

Might jeans become trendy again? Certain unflappable, hotshot skiers still bomb down the mountain in real denim. “If you see someone in jeans who’s really crushing some moguls, it’s worth respecting,” said Tom Livingston, 31, an actor and artist in Seattle, Wash. who had just finished an afternoon of skiing when we spoke over the phone. Of course, you can also dance through moguls with ski pants on. And they’ll also keep your ankles dry. Just saying.

I think you just insulted Iceman

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

PM Rontele for proper on slope fashion etiquette.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 19.59.07.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	633.9 KB 
ID:	314752

almost, speed jeans

I though it was mostly an East Coast thing? I probably did more skiing in Jeans than not ..Scott super hots , Rossi freestyles and Gaiters !! If you don't fall and and there's no Powder it's not a problem !

So why do you whiners get triggered by Jeans ? It will be a fashion again one day
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

If it was really cold, we'd wear two pair of jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post

In the Land of the Lost . LOL

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by AirheadD8 View Post
    In the Land of the Lost . LOL
    I resemble that remark

I though it was mostly an East Coast thing? I probably did more skiing in Jeans than not ..Scott super hots , Rossi freestyles and Gaiters !! If you don't fall and and there's no Powder it's not a problem !

So why do you whiners get triggered by Jeans ? It will be a fashion again one day
    Those Scotts would tuck right up under todays skinny(stupid) jeans Millennial fashion comback

Stop Skiing in Jeans. It’s Not the 1970s Anymore.

Beastie Boys, that’s a funny shot. Never seen that picture before.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’m so fat it’s getting to the point that carhartt overalls might be my next ski rig.

#sad

Name:  Haystacks_Calhoun.png
Views: 1984
Size:  264.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Those Scotts would tuck right up under todays skinny(stupid) jeans Millennial fashion comback
    Yea but they leaked like a sieve when you did find powder the Gaiters helped block off the sides .

Everyone of my friends broke the toes off the early models before the lowers were molded .

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    That was my move for about my first year of skiing. This thread is making me want to do it again just out of contrarianism

Quote Originally Posted by Brownskii View Post
    That was my move for about my first year of skiing. This thread is making me want to do it again just out of contrarianism
    Sounds like a reason for a TGR Jeans day

Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  2.7 KB

I didn't do two pairs I used the old cotton waffle pattern they would show thru LOL

Night skiing in jeans with trail maps and brochures stuffed into my pants for insulation. Bully on the ski trip bus gave 115 lb me some shit. I gave him two black eyes. I smile when I see a kid skiing in jeans.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Name:  Haystacks_Calhoun.png
Views: 1984
Size:  264.4 KB
    Wow, Reveen has really let himself go.

Name:  8213353.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  41.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I’m so fat it’s getting to the point that carhartt overalls might be my next ski rig.

#sad

Powder eight comps usually had a tan carhartt bib and jacket team from Montana.
    . . .

LOL
    I’m in. I’ll bring my old skis too

this is a funny idea. I like it
    lately this yr my go to for snow king skiing is just to put my ski clothes over my work clothes. so skiing in jeans many days of the week. but not on skinny jeans day bc then they're too tight to get up the leg enough to keep out of the boot

A couple of yrs ago Burton was making some ski/snowboard pants that looked like denim.
    we could maggot crowdsource these as an iceman get well gift
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burton-MB-G...AAAOSwVkBePulK

I also love that beastie boys pic. might need to print one out for the garage ski wallpaper
    skid luxury

My Wranglers aren't hurting anyone but me. Recognize your intolerance and biases.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

If it was cold you could stuff news paper down there for extra insulation.

Of course now a days there aint no room for that.

I always wanted a pair of gortex jeans that looked like real cotton.
    watch out for snakes

While I’m not cool enough to ski in jeans or wear Pit Vipers, they’re doing a big ski in jeans thing this weekend in Breck. It looks extremely fun.

I don't know what is more disturbing, skiing in jeans or that Buttahflake recognized the the Beastie Boys in. that pic.

I just assumed it was a random photo of three idiots.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot