Black Crows Camox Freebird VS Voile V6

In the market for some new boards for my new Meidjo tele/AT hybrid bindings. I have a pair of Voile V6 BC skis set up tele and really love them. With newer technology out there, I'm looking at perhaps jumping on some Black Crows Camox Freebird or the non-BC version of the Voile V6

I wanna stay right around 100mm underfoot and the specs on those new Camox look perfect for what I'm looking for. Similar on paper to the V6 but I'm thinking they are maybe better inbounds.

A bit concerned about Black Crows warranty void with tele bindings, even with the titanal plate.

I'm 6'1" 185 lbs, advanced/expert skier but at 63 yrs old so not extreme anymore. 60/40 inbounds/out. But when I'm riding lifts, I'm always looking for wild snow.

Anyone skied both that can fill me in on the differences?

I have skied the Camox Freebird and the Hyper V6 in the backcountry but am fairly inexperienced and not a great skier. Also, my heels were locked, not sure if that matters to you...

The Hyper V6 seemed quite versatile, easy to ski, and floats considerably better than the Camox. It was an easier ski to handle for me, as a shitty skier. Felt like I could drive centered or slightly forward in fairly deep powder and didn't spank me when I backseated. I have only skied this in powder with a bit of chop/crust underneath.

The Camox FB is extremely fun in less deep. I also found it to be fun at the resort for a soft ski. Definitely has a speed limit, even for me... But it is responsive, quick, and light. Tougher to ski in powder. Definitely wants a very centered stance and doesn't float nearly as well. I don't find that it handles crusts/chop great but I haven't had the V6 in crust. I think I'm going to love the Camox FB in mellow spring skiing but I bet the V6 would be good in those conditions too. Though I have not had a chance to ski the V6 as much.

Skied drifter and Camox as my current AT. Drifter is solid and easy but floats. Camox is solid and easy but float don’t know. One ski do all would be 112-115 maybe the V8. Voile makes great skis. How about new hyperdrifter?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

With Voile hyper-anything carries no telemark binding warranty so I'm probably stuck with the regular line. Camox I found out is same problem. I have the V8 set up AT and it is a great ski but a bit wide for my tele style. Same with Drifter.

JFish that was good info about the Hyper V6. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnem View Post
    With Voile hyper-anything carries no telemark binding warranty so I'm probably stuck with the regular line. Camox I found out is same problem. I have the V8 set up AT and it is a great ski but a bit wide for my tele style. Same with Drifter.

JFish that was good info about the Hyper V6. I appreciate it.
    Being local to Voile, I've been demoing all of their skis... The hyper V6 feels extremely similar to the hyper V8, with less float

Sorry for thread-jack but I am not allowed to private message or start new thread - but I am curious if JOeyFish or Turnem could compare how the Superchargers ski in relation to the V6 or V8? I have had V6 (non-BC version) for a few years now set up tele (Rotte freedom for 3 years and this year went to Meijdo half way through). I love them for my east coast ski (where I live and can choose my days) but they felt a little too small on a recent West Coast trip to Tahoe. I have 183 and I am 6"2" 185. Prob 70/30 tour/resort.

I just got a good deal on some 185 SuperChargers and out of the box they do seem stiffer (as advertised) - I am still tempted by v8 instead (b/c I love the v6s) but did not want the only ski I would have on western trip be 115 underfoot...anyway - curious if you would share your perspective?

Hey MikeFromMaine,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am also 6'2" 185# and about 70/30. If I am inbounds I'm always searching for wild snow on trails/trees less traveled. The SuperCharger skis a lot stiffer than either the V6 or V8. For the light Colorado champagne powder I found them diving a bit with the stiffer fore-ski. I ended up selling them and keeping the V6 and V8 for blower days. I also recently bought some UltraVectors for my Meidjos but did not get many days on them before the wheels came off at the ski areas. They are also a bit stiffer than my V6's but I did not get any good powder days on them. Of all of these Voile skis, the V6's are my favorite but since they are BC, I needed something that wasn't. Looking back, I would have been perfectly happy with a V6 and a V6 BC.

Thnx Turnem - really helpful. What do the conditions have to be for you to swap out the V6 for the V8?

Quote Originally Posted by MIkeFromMaine View Post
    Thnx Turnem - really helpful. What do the conditions have to be for you to swap out the V6 for the V8?
    I'd say 2 feet plus. The V6's are really good in pretty deep pow. Love 'm for pow trees.