Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    I know this is real un-2020 to say but you do realize that your problems are not private businesses to solve right? Nobody in the management suite at Alterra in Broomfield cares that Coors & and bratwurst guy has to sit in traffic and lift lines.

Here at Wanker Park people are standing up outside the shitters at Lunch Rock eating $30 soup and sammys...on a Monday. The shitbox 1" in 8' out of level "penthouse" condo downtown just sold for $1.7million before framing is even done.

This is not what is amazing. What is amazing is how good we had it for the last 30 years. As longs as skiing is fun, I'll keep doing it. When it isn't, I'll do something else.

IKON has either killed Aspen, or is keeping it alive. I’m not sure which.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3186.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	315375

For what it’s worth, there was about 20 people looking to get on the gondola at once at about 12:30.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is not what is amazing. What is amazing is how good we had it for the last 30 years. As longs as skiing is fun, I'll keep doing it. When it isn't, I'll do something else.
    My new Mantra
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

watch out for snakes

One hit wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    IKON has either killed Aspen, or is keeping it alive. I’m not sure which.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3186.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	315375

For what it’s worth, there was about 20 people looking to get on the gondola at once at about 12:30.

Aspen keeps the rabble away with high bed rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nah! Aspen keeps the rabble away by being geographically located 2+hrs driving further away from Denver than all the other resorts in Colorado that y'all bitching about

https://youtu.be/aw1XcqgAwuA

I'm convinced that as the thread title sort of suggests, this is like the popular bar that you used to be able to walk in and get a table but then after it gets popular, it gets more and more crowded every year until you can't even get up to the bar to get a drink..... and then finally everyone has had enough of being shoulder to shoulder and moves on to something else... the next year you show up and surprisingly there are even open tables when you walk in, but not too many, just one for your group.

One can hope?

everyone skis at the same time shit is like clockwork
    thursday evening people pour into town
    fridays and saturdays are a mess on the hill, my lunch time sunday it quiets down again

as for one hour lines, no one in managment gives a shit if you have to wait in line, they know that jane and jerry get cold after standing in line for an hour, go inside to warm up and end up dumping twenty or forty bucks on some food and drinks

mountain property is going to continue to go up, it ain't going flat or going down
    coming to the mountains has nothing to do with skiing anymore
    it's all about escape the dread of suburban and city life
    it's all about having a happy moment in the mountains before you go back to the drag of real life

What other hip, upscale, trendy, socially exclusive wintertime activities are there with a sufficient sn00t factor? Ice fishing? Bowling?
    Big Swifty TrendMongers better get on the stick and dream up an exciting new trend.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

One hit wonder.
    True that.

This thread needed a theme song.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    What other hip, upscale, trendy, socially exclusive wintertime activities are there with a sufficient sn00t factor? Ice fishing? Bowling?
    Big Swifty TrendMongers better get on the stick and dream up an exciting new trend.
    Curling with single malt drinking will be the new thing.

Ice rinks will have curling nites with free bus pick up and drop off.

A bottle will be $189 but you are paying that now to stand in a line for an hour and freeze your tatas off.
    watch out for snakes

In Canada, it's curling along with smoking ganja. I could probably get into curling of there was a ganja component.

Greggery Peccary is a small peccary, named after the actor Gregory Peck, and lives among the peccary population, which ranges from Texas to Paraguay and sometimes as far west as Catalina. Peccaries are notable for having a white collar pattern on their fur, but Greggery is part of a "bold new breed" of peccary that also has a wide tie below his collar, distinguishing it as a particularly exceptional swine.
    Greggery owns a red Volkswagen and works in the part of the town where the government buildings are kept at a corporation known as "Big Swifty and Associates, Trend-mongers". As the name suggests, their line of work involves conceiving and promoting the many trends and fads within the world using whatever means science has to offer.
    Greggery is popular among the air-headed lady stenographers at his company, who are impressed by Greggery and taken by his suave and particular cunning as an employer. Together they sing a song advertising the company's many time-wasting products, thus inspiring Greggery to return to his "ultra-avant, laminated, simulated, replica-mahogany desk" so that he may conceive a new trend, some "THING" to identify with. Guided by heavenly voices, he invents the calendar, a play on the Gregorian calendar introduced by Pope Gregory XIII.
    The calendar, upon release, immediately causes chaos, as people suddenly can keep track of time and plan ahead, thus making life aggravatingly mechanical, and also allowing people to discover how old they were. A group of hunchmen, just a few of the "very hip young people" of the world, attack Greggery on the way home from his office one night, enraged at the prospect of birthdays and being aware of their own aging. Greggery is chased by them in his car, and narrowly escapes into a cave in a conveniently placed and nearby mountain.
    The hunchmen (and hunchwomen) decide to abandon the chase in favour of a "love-in" and a party ensues among them. Greggery is safe from them, but suddenly discovers that he has parked within no ordinary cave, but the mouth of Billy the Mountain. Billy hacks up boulders and creates new brown clouds as he laughs, suddenly procuring Greggery's interest.
    Greggery, unaware that he was parked within Billy the Mountain or that Billy had coughed up the clouds, ponders "who is making those new brown clouds", and makes a phone call to find a "philostopher" for an explanation of the presence of the brown clouds. He is sent to a man named Quentin Robert DeNameland, supposedly "the greatest living philostopher known to mankind", who hosts a group assembly. DeNameland's authenticity as a philostopher is questionable, as he merely proclaims that "time is of affliction" – more specifically, "the eons are closing" – before soliciting for payment for attendance to his assembly.
    The adventure closes with Greggery still pondering the presence of the brown clouds, given DeNameland's lack of answers. Cynically he concludes: "If you ask a "philostopher" he'll see that you pays!"
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Ice fishing on Lake Dillon has been really popular this season.

They should zamboni a section for ice skating and hockey. A buddy of mine was trying to get them to Zamboni a stretch from Dillon to Frisco for XC ice skating. Denver Water wouldn't allow it.

The local bowling alley is on it's 20th owner. Maybe this one can make it work, maybe they'll allow weed smoking.

Winter sports combined with weed/alcoholic beverages needs to be promoted more in my opinion, and we need better public transportation.

It's too crowded, no one goes there anymore

Benny, I’m as pleb as it gets. If I’m in town the bed rates aren’t nearly high enough.

Mtn. Chalet and a few other places in town are still ‘reasonable’ so far.

It's too crowded, no one goes there anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Was gonna say CO & UT plates in JH during a storm cycle has been going on for a while, its always mecca to the Rocky Mountain crowd when it gets snow
    All you guys who are saying Jackson was swamped due to front range storm chasers - you’re talking about the same weekend that summit got hammered with the snowstorm of the year. Seems an odd weekend for storm chasing to Jackson from CO. I don’t think I’m buying it. Based on the photos the entire city of Denver was in Vail, just as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    All you guys who are saying Jackson was swamped due to front range storm chasers - you’re talking about the same weekend that summit got hammered with the snowstorm of the year. Seems an odd weekend for storm chasing to Jackson from CO. I don’t think I’m buying it. Based on the photos the entire city of Denver was in Vail, just as an example.
    It’s actually just as likely that some people from across the country flew into SLC and DEN and drive up to Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    I'm convinced that as the thread title sort of suggests, this is like the popular bar that you used to be able to walk in and get a table but then after it gets popular, it gets more and more crowded every year until you can't even get up to the bar to get a drink..... and then finally everyone has had enough of being shoulder to shoulder and moves on to something else... the next year you show up and surprisingly there are even open tables when you walk in, but not too many, just one for your group.

One can hope?
    They all moved on to the new bar down the street. Problem is there aren't new ski areas popping up like bars do. Boomers dying off or having medical issues is our only hope, and yeah that's a pretty morbid hope that will only alleviate the problem a smallish bit.

a guy I know who was in charge of entertainment got booted from his job at the resort
    cause he was playing towards the boomer crowd and has been doing that for decades
    the resort decided that they needed something more hip to get the millennials and younger to want to hang out at the bar after a day of skiing
    instead of rehashed john denver and neil young

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    It’s actually just as likely that some people from across the country flew into SLC and DEN and drive up to Jackson
    I can see SLC... but do people actually fly into DEN and then drive up to Jackson? What a fucking nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    a guy I know who was in charge of entertainment got booted from his job at the resort
    cause he was playing towards the boomer crowd and has been doing that for decades
    the resort decided that they needed something more hip to get the millennials and younger to want to hang out at the bar after a day of skiing
    instead of rehashed john denver and neil young
    Really. I think that'd be nice. I think I've heard enough classic rock in lift lines, thanks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    john denver and neil young
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Really. I think that'd be nice. I think I've heard enough classic rock in lift lines, thanks.
    Thunder chair, speaking of Jackson Hole, seems to play a lot of Dead. Which is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. But that's just a liftie, not a marketing director. A liftie with really good taste.