Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    That's funny cause I never felt bad about driving past or going to the hole on the way to our annual bc hut trip
    Till this d jong bro showed me his goods and
    I'll be back
    But first
    I skied and fished with harry multiple times road trips are commencing
    Oh and in case you were wondering
    All the laps, turns, fantasy hikes to silver days,
    The lifelong friends and mags and maggots I've made and shared with
    The work hours the apres the lifestyle fucking all off it
    Well yeah
    Them passes are worth every damn red cent I didn't spend on em
    Attachment 315240
    "If they only knew"

I think the overcrowding is 100% due to people worried that there won't be any more snow in 10 years, so everyone is trying to get some before it's all gone. Skiing peaked in 1996 and it's been going downhill since then, but at least I've got a backlog of memories.

How about 12 owners sharing 2,000 skiable acres of cat skiing. Uncrowded enough? All you dentists have a few million laying around, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    You are certainly lucky that Whitefish keeps costs down. $ 1500.00 for a pass is a bit of a kick in the balls.
    Definitely. And I'm sure the days of reasonably priced passes in WF are winding down. But our cheap-ish day tickets definitely result in heavy crowds on plenty of weekends. Low ticket prices + cheap beer = Calgary's Tijuana. We still don't have donkey shows though, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    How does it work with DV today? Is there a reservation system for Ikon Ikon passholders?
    DV you can reserve a spot the night before online.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Was gonna say CO & UT plates in JH during a storm cycle has been going on for a while, its always mecca to the Rocky Mountain crowd when it gets snow
    There wasn't 30-50000+ (my uneducated guess on pass numbers) people with a pass in CO + UT that gave them 5-7 free days at jackson a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    How about 12 owners sharing 2,000 skiable acres of cat skiing. Uncrowded enough? All you dentists have a few million laying around, don't you?

The soul does keep time though, that video is inaccurate. Too beautiful not to share, too beautiful to share with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    I think the overcrowding is 100% due to people worried that there won't be any more snow in 10 years, so everyone is trying to get some before it's all gone. Skiing peaked in 1996 and it's been going downhill since then, but at least I've got a backlog of memories.
    You know, after spending a lot of time in Utah lodges this week, I think that a ton of Ikon holders are worried about being able to ski in a few years, and probably worried about just being alive. There's a lot of older people out there. Including moi.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Was gonna say CO & UT plates in JH during a storm cycle has been going on for a while, its always mecca to the Rocky Mountain crowd when it gets snow
    I realize that, but it's escalated dramatically this year. which makes sense, since the barrier to entry has gone way down. and I wish you all no ill will for taking advantage of the megapass. the ones who appreciate mecca will make the pilgrimage even if ikon goes away and if they have to pay for it.

for what it's worth, I'm gonna wait until April to crowd Utah's slopes once JHMR closes. the good thing about crowds and proximity to cities is that management can afford to stay open longer with all those extra skiers.

no one in JH is being overly dramatic about the changes here...they're real. lift lines going from bridger to the skier bridge, and all-day 5-box waits is not standard for a pow day. and people can pretend that the megapass has nothing to do with it, but they're probably being willfully blind

it's not the midwesterners' fault

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    I realize that, but it's escalated dramatically this year. which makes sense, since the barrier to entry has gone way down. and I wish you all no ill will for taking advantage of the megapass. the ones who appreciate mecca will make the pilgrimage even if ikon goes away and if they have to pay for it.

for what it's worth, I'm gonna wait until April to crowd Utah's slopes once JHMR closes. the good thing about crowds and proximity to cities is that management can afford to stay open longer with all those extra skiers.

no one in JH is being overly dramatic about the changes here...they're real. lift lines going from bridger to the skier bridge, and all-day 5-box waits is not standard for a pow day. and people can pretend that the megapass has nothing to do with it, but they're probably being willfully blind

It's Obama's and Trump's fault. There's a lot of money out there, especially in the stock market. Given that skier numbers are flat while the population grows it's clear that the sport is increasingly for the rich. A good recession with a stock market crash and layoffs in tech and finance and things will get a lot less crowded.

The demographics are interesting too. I only know Truckee--lot of people around here who retired to vacations houses they bought when things were more affordable. Maybe things are different in the Rockies where the winters are harsher. Skiing midweek you see mainly older people. As the boomers age out of the sport I wonder if we'll be replaced--could affect pass sales and force the resorts to raise prices and further exclude the 99% from the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's Obama's and Trump's fault. There's a lot of money out there, especially in the stock market. Given that skier numbers are flat while the population grows it's clear that the sport is increasingly for the rich. A good recession with a stock market crash and layoffs in tech and finance and things will get a lot less crowded.

The demographics are interesting too. I only know Truckee--lot of people around here who retired to vacations houses they bought when things were more affordable. Maybe things are different in the Rockies where the winters are harsher. Skiing midweek you see mainly older people. As the boomers age out of the sport I wonder if we'll be replaced--could affect pass sales and force the resorts to raise prices and further exclude the 99% from the sport.
    Yeah for real on the boomers. It's all Bommers mid-week in Scummit County, CO. A few dirtbag resort employees out there on their day off, but otherwise retired boomers.

I think the homes get inherited at some point by the boomer's kids, then maybe get sold out or used for rental properties next 20-30 years. Values will decline (or remain flat) in the wealthy mountain communities for all of the condos and townhomes. The real super rich people who just vacation for skiing aren't in the condo/townhouse market, whereas they want the mansions for status. The new condo/townhome owner's by inheritance can't afford to keep it as a weekend getaway property.

Road the lift at Steamboat on Saturday with a guy in his 80s. Said he bought a place in Steamboat 28 years ago as his death home. Still playing hard and waiting for the Grim Reaper. Said crowds are crowds and has not really seen a difference. Always been some days more than others. He does the resort thing now as he can’t get out in the BC any more.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I wonder if that's the same guy I rode up with who said he split his time between Steamboat and Venice, Italy. I said, damn, there's a combo.

I definitely see a lot of older people midweek. Some young ones too, though.
    Of course, I don't ski at a destination resort. Fuck, Snowbowl can be busy on a midweek powder day. Kids didn't have school Monday + it's been snowing a lot = mountain got skied hard. Missoula has grown so much that it feels like Snowbowl is a little busier even in the 10 years I've been in Missoula. IDK, though, could be my imagination.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Road the lift at Steamboat on Saturday with a guy in his 80s. Said he bought a place in Steamboat 28 years ago as his death home. Still playing hard and waiting for the Grim Reaper. Said crowds are crowds and has not really seen a difference. Always been some days more than others. He does the resort thing now as he can’t get out in the BC any more.

That’s probably why he’s still alive at 80, we will all be dead by 60 just from the stress of reading these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post

I blame Rob Story.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I wonder if that's the same guy I rode up with who said he split his time between Steamboat and Venice, Italy. I said, damn, there's a combo.
    Too bad you can't afford it due to your employment* choice.

*bunny been dissing others employment lately so all good.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

fuck that fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    How does it work with DV today? Is there a reservation system for Ikon Ikon passholders? Or does the cap only apply to people buying day tickets?

Seems like the simplest approach would be a cap on the number of Ikon passholders at a given resort on a given day. You can "reserve" a spot starting in August. If you don't cancel more than 1 week out you forfeit that day. That would allow resorts to use the Ikon pass as a way to smooth out traffic versus what it's doing now of creating huge peaks and valleys in visits. For a place like SLC. it also would incentivize locals to buy a season pass to their local mountain versus saving their 5 or 7 days for the best days of the season.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app
    This

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Pow Mow not part of Epic or Ikon, maybe the crowding is not related to the passes?
    It’s called at 1,500 per day. It’s where everyone in salt lake who doesn’t have Ikon or Epic goes when they know their home mountain will be crowded by Ikoners

Unfortunately, I think all the solutions are more expensive (pass prices going up, private ski resorts, buy a snowmobile)

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Yeah for real on the boomers. It's all Bommers mid-week in Scummit County, CO. A few dirtbag resort employees out there on their day off, but otherwise retired boomers.

I think the homes get inherited at some point by the boomer's kids, then maybe get sold out or used for rental properties next 20-30 years. Values will decline (or remain flat) in the wealthy mountain communities for all of the condos and townhomes. The real super rich people who just vacation for skiing aren't in the condo/townhouse market, whereas they want the mansions for status. The new condo/townhome owner's by inheritance can't afford to keep it as a weekend getaway property.
    There's always a kid or two that wants to keep the house and a kid or two that want to sell. Unless the keepers can afford to buy out the sellers --and they rarely can--the house goes on the market, is bought by someone rich and is either torn down or extensively remodeled. Several of our friends in our little neighborhood have been forced out that way by their siblings. Hope our kids can work things out when we're gone.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You know, after spending a lot of time in Utah lodges this week, I think that a ton of Ikon holders are worried about being able to ski in a few years, and probably worried about just being alive. There's a lot of older people out there. Including moi.
    ya know the skiers spend time on the slopes
    but ya you touron icon gapers lodge lizards like infrastructures
    same with fishing
    fuck most of you are here cause its way fuckin easier to talk about skiing
    than do it
    well yeah know looks to be a foot of montucky cold smoke in harrys driveway
    no coffee shops are open yet in this overdeveloped village
    wtf im skinning up to the beer can tram
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Maybe a lotto?

Like they do for certain river launch permits?

You buy a $2500 pass and your name goes into the bowl of other names.

On any given day they pull your name out and you get to ski that day.

Otherwise you stand behind the wire like everybody else.
    watch out for snakes

ya know the skiers spend time on the slopes
    but ya you touron icon gapers lodge lizards like infrastructures
    same with fishing
    than do it
    well yeah know looks to be a foot of montucky cold smoke in harrys driveway
    no coffee shops are open yet in this overdeveloped village
    wtf im skinning up to the beer can tram
    Tell Harry to wake his ass up and brew some Java.

Or go to the Huntley/Shoeshine and drop 5 bucks on a cup.

See ya down there, wanker Wednesday delivers again.

BTW, just got the word. No Tram today. Its being fixed, finally.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

than do it
    Throwin’ bombs!