Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I had no idea wasatch peaks ranch was planning on building next year. Call me a skeptic, but I’d be surprised. Yellowstone club has had more than its share of issues over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not a good sign that, despite there being rad peaks where the resort will actually be, the background photo on their homepage is Superior.

So what we've learned is that sometimes resorts will be crowded as fuck. And most of the time they'll be empty. And the crowded-as-fuck times are almost always pretty predictable.

So what's the problem, again?

I blame global warning. Everyone is leaving the warm areas

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Long lift lines means that plenty of people retire to the bar early. So not only does Vail get their $200 for lift tickets, but they can wring $8 / beer out of them too. I'm sure they're apologizing all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Long lift lines means that plenty of people retire to the bar early. So not only does Vail get their $200 for lift tickets, but they can wring $8 / beer out of them too. I'm sure they're apologizing all the way to the bank.
    Exactly, Rob Katz and Alterra CEO answer to shareholders not season pass holders.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I paid $8 for a fucking Voodoo Ranger made by some shitty Austrailian owned brewery out of Fort Collins. It was disgusting, and they wouldn't even pour me a proper shot, they had to "cut" it with some water.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So what we've learned is that sometimes resorts will be crowded as fuck. And most of the time they'll be empty. And the crowded-as-fuck times are almost always pretty predictable.

Traffic, parking, assholes in the line, dumbasses on the runs and the traverses, know nothing’s in the slack country. Is that a good enough summary of “the problem” for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Traffic, parking, assholes in the line, dumbasses on the runs and the traverses, know nothing’s in the slack country. Is that a good enough summary of “the problem” for you?
    Is this all the time... or just on the predictable crowded-as-fuck days? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I paid $8 for a fucking Voodoo Ranger made by some shitty Austrailian owned brewery out of Fort Collins. It was disgusting, and they wouldn't even pour me a proper shot, they had to "cut" it with some water.
    You bought a watered down shot of Voodoo Ranger?

That's weird.

NTTAWWT.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

yup
    and this is why it's ok living there.
    it's like living on the beach- you avoid the big holiday weekends and then have paradise to yourself most of the rest of the time
    it's mildly annoying, but I'm ok with it vs the alternative of being one of the tourists for that one or two crowded w/e's a year
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    For what it's worth...

Attachment 315149
    I’m struggling with the concept of more visitors at Southeastern resorts than PNW...

Around here it’s predictable by how much it snows. So, if you only want to ski loud pow days you’re good. If you want to ski pow it’s gonna be a problem. Don’t make much matter to me as I’m there either day anyways, but it kinda sucks to root against pow days.

Thanks, Harv, for reminding me of this:

Anyone mention the ganja angle yet?

It is the back bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's not a good sign that, despite there being rad peaks where the resort will actually be, the background photo on their homepage is Superior.
    Ha, some marketers are lazy as fuck. I follow some random Instagram account from the Tetons and they posted a photo of Banff National Park the other day with a caption about the Tetons. I mean, it's the Tetons, it's not like they couldn't stand on their on feet.

Video of the Vail Chair 5 shit show:

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Oh not a fan of the truth? Do you think Pow Mow does the same numbers as Vail?

I don't Pow Mow has ever sold out of day tickets even though they say there's a "limit," and yes, DV does regularly on holidays, but they're only limiting day tickets. They don't turn away season pass holders as is being suggested above. You want to limit people on the slopes? increase the cost, which I think is the shittier of the two evils here.

Either way, everyone here is criticizing the most successful ski resorts in the industry..... I don't think limiting skier numbers is in the cards. Like I said above, long lift lines look like success in the ski industry. You want a different experience go ski cooper
    As Benny says to a service industry. You think the fat cats of Vail who drop $20k plus on a week of skiing want to hang out in ridiculous lines with the riff-raff? Or get yelled at by locals as they skip the line with their guide or instructor? You think Katz doesn’t care if a few hundred of them never come back? If Vail is seen By the rich as the McDonalds of skiing - with billions served! - it’s not a good look. He may not give a shit about pass holders who drink beers in the parking lot and bring sack lunches, true. I agree he’s probably really happy to have an overcrowded problem but to say ski resorts don’t care about service and only numbers is naive.

As for the limited tix stuff, all I did was point a dude in a direction on where they limited tix as he asked how it works and what do they do for people booking trips. I didn’t offer my opinion on it. You are righ that powwow does it as a gimmick mainly. But they did sell out this past year after x-mas and DV sold out Saturday around noon...not a holiday. DV is certainly Vail-like.

PowMow sold out, at least, this last Saturday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    As Benny says to a service industry. You think the fat cats of Vail who drop $20k plus on a week of skiing want to hang out in ridiculous lines with the riff-raff? Or get yelled at by locals as they skip the line with their guide or instructor? You think Katz doesn’t care if a few hundred of them never come back? If Vail is seen By the rich as the McDonalds of skiing - with billions served! - it’s not a good look. He may not give a shit about pass holders who drink beers in the parking lot and bring sack lunches, true. I agree he’s probably really happy to have an overcrowded problem but to say ski resorts don’t care about service and only numbers is naive.

As for the limited tix stuff, all I did was point a dude in a direction on where they limited tix as he asked how it works and what do they do for people booking trips. I didn’t offer my opinion on it. You are righ that powwow does it as a gimmick mainly. But they did sell out this past year after x-mas and DV sold out Saturday around noon...not a holiday. DV is certainly Vail-like.
    Nobody eats lunch or drinks beer in the Vail parking spot they paid 25-40 bucks for.

I was a bit scared when I saw you replied to this, I was afraid you were going to agree completely with my post and that’s how I’d know I was wrong and brutah is right.

This seems less about liftlines and more a general planetary overcrowding issue. Now if people would just stop fucking for a little while.....

I think ikonic pass systems contribute to the problem, but the fucking is the root issue. On that note, since I believe fucking really won't diminish in popularity, my trip to Jackson in two weeks is likely my last "resort quality guest experience" week long ski trip. Hell, its even buffered on both ends by GTarghee on the drive in and possibly Soldier on the return to "cleanse my palate".

I've always had a more memorable time, experience per se, at small under the radar nonchic nor instacrap worthy hills. Jackson is a return to something I failed at 20 years ago being a kid from western NY (65° weather didn't help either). Different skier, different person, and I'll deal with trying to mitigate crowds (alarms set for 5am, dehydrated camping bfast cookout in tram line, etc), but I'm also gonna people watch.. enjoy a few drinks.. talk to some different people from wildly different places... and try to chill, set those expectations pretty low. Enjoy not being at work.

Gnar shredding is all bonus for 5 days in a mega resort these days, and its highly likely at a fixed grip starbucksless no cell signal joint in east boondockbuttfuck.

I feel sorry for anyone who has a disneyland shitshow on wknds for their local hill.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35sfp9k5avI

“Hey, nice marmot.” — The Dude.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Saturdays are busy, snow is cold. There are going to be lift lines on Saturday. Getting that huge and pretty rare storm, they just couldn't safely open the whole mountain. It was a big visitor day but it wasn't monumental. That just all got stuck doing the same shit instead of spreading out.
    And they will be back this weekend when not blacked out.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Oh not a fan of the truth? Do you think Pow Mow does the same numbers as Vail?

I don't Pow Mow has ever sold out of day tickets even though they say there's a "limit," and yes, DV does regularly on holidays, but they're only limiting day tickets. They don't turn away season pass holders as is being suggested above. You want to limit people on the slopes? increase the cost, which I think is the shittier of the two evils here.

Either way, everyone here is criticizing the most successful ski resorts in the industry..... I don't think limiting skier numbers is in the cards. Like I said above, long lift lines look like success in the ski industry. You want a different experience go ski cooper
    I think pow mow has sold out over 8 times this season

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums