Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Naa,

There are still a limited number of skiers that can ski that terrain. I thought the HSQ would ruin Chair 1 at Loveland. All it does is put more people on spillway. No one skis the steeps.
    Yeah but they don’t know what’s down there and they want to be “extreme.” And there’s some serious terrain in there. I was by myself poking around last week between phaser and cesspool and ended up somewhere that made me remember I was by myself and made me think twice. I mean I know guys who have lived there for decades that are still finding new pockets and drops. Some of those cliffouts are really bad places for tourists to be.

Patrolling that is just gonna suck if you put 10 times as many people in there. Maybe if they create a simple double black way down so people can say they skied it...like Honey Pie or something.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    I wasn't actually aware they were going to replace the T-bar. When we were there last year it was down with mechanical issues half the time. I used to just hike up to Hawk's Nest before the Poma and that was just fine, but if there's a lift there it has to work because it doesn't look like they allow hiking when it's closed.
    Somewhere I have a drawing of the original orientation. But here’s the plan:

“Under the new plan, first proposed in 2015, one current lift would be replaced with two more added in an area called Teocalli 2 – far from Snodgrass and nearer current resort infrastructure. The North Face lift, a Leitner T-Bar installed in 2004, would be removed and replaced with a much longer chairlift. This fixed-grip quad would stretch around 5,000 feet with a capacity nearly twice that of the current surface lift. The new lift was orignally envisioned to start between the East River and Paradise lifts but is now slated to load directly adjacent to Paradise.”

I don’t remember exactly where it tops out. I think I read they got the green light this summer? Can’t remember. Does anyone know if it’s a done deal and when it’s slated for?

take eldora for example

no one skied there but a handful of locals, some stray tourists, and a few other random people
    eldora was the butt of all jokes, because the terrain just didn't match what you could get in eagle or summit counties
    no one wasted money buying a season pass

they join the ikon pass and the place is turned into a shit hole, traffic sucks, too many people
    but suddenly, because it's on their pass, close by, people start saying it's not too bad of a place
    if they jump ship on these big passes the place will crater and it will be back to normal and not making much money

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    take eldora for example

no one skied there but a handful of locals, some stray tourists, and a few other random people
    eldora was the butt of all jokes, because the terrain just didn't match what you could get in eagle or summit counties
    no one wasted money buying a season pass

they join the ikon pass and the place is turned into a shit hole, traffic sucks, too many people
    but suddenly, because it's on their pass, close by, people start saying it's not too bad of a place
    if they jump ship on these big passes the place will crater and it will be back to normal and not making much money
    So what you are saying is that all the shitty resorts should join a multi resort program for shitty skiers who see the value in that sort of thing, and everywhere else should abandon those passes and sell to actual skiers?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Somewhere I have a drawing of the original orientation. But here’s the plan:

“Under the new plan, first proposed in 2015, one current lift would be replaced with two more added in an area called Teocalli 2 – far from Snodgrass and nearer current resort infrastructure. The North Face lift, a Leitner T-Bar installed in 2004, would be removed and replaced with a much longer chairlift. This fixed-grip quad would stretch around 5,000 feet with a capacity nearly twice that of the current surface lift. The new lift was orignally envisioned to start between the East River and Paradise lifts but is now slated to load directly adjacent to Paradise.”

I don’t remember exactly where it tops out. I think I read they got the green light this summer? Can’t remember. Does anyone know if it’s a done deal and when it’s slated for?
    I believe it's fully approved, but Vail is sitting on it. I think they have other projects that they care more about. Personally, I'd like to see a Twister chair, some glading, and removing the shit smell at Paradise long before the Teo expansion. I also think that fixed chairs into the north face will ruin it. But I've also been here long enough to think that going from a Poma to a Tbar kind of ruined it too. But not long enough to be one of the guys that think the lifts ruined it since they liked it when it was hike to.

PS, back to the topic at hand. I would bet good money that CB still has 30-40% fewer ski days than they did in the late 90's when visits peaked, even on Epic.

Yep Vail is great and so is park city. Go there please

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Three more pics of that Vail chair 5 thing.

20 years ago very few people could ski pow

Even 15 years ago, the competition was low and stashes lasted.

By 10 years ago the party was over. Everyone had fat rockered skis. Everyone could ski pow.

Add in the fact that 1.5 million people moved to Colorado in the last 20 years while no major ski areas opened within 3 hours of the front range and the cost of season passes dropped...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quit your job. Move. It’s out there.

When I take my trips I almost always go midweek and hit smaller resorts now.

I did just get back from Vail, and I felt like a I foreigner.

Too much funny money floating around. We should go back to the gold standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

By 10 years ago the party was over. Everyone had fat rockered skis. Everyone could ski pow.

Add in the fact that 1.5 million people moved to Colorado in the last 20 years while no major ski areas opened within 3 hours of the front range and the cost of season passes dropped...
    ^^^ Yes

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I should change my name to RibletRider.
    I like this statement. Getting sideways and hammering lift towers is just the price of admission.

Population growth everywhere.

Ski technology doesn't just help the Jerry's, it helps the aging (me) and the real old farts too. We're tracking out more lines later in life than the generations before us did. I rode a pair of my old 'straightish' boards last year and it was a bitch! I could not make nearly as many runs on those things as with the new boards. Effortless.

You forgot all the snowboards.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I believe it's fully approved, but Vail is sitting on it. I think they have other projects that they care more about. Personally, I'd like to see a Twister chair, some glading, and removing the shit smell at Paradise long before the Teo expansion. I also think that fixed chairs into the north face will ruin it. But I've also been here long enough to think that going from a Poma to a Tbar kind of ruined it too. But not long enough to be one of the guys that think the lifts ruined it since they liked it when it was hike to.

PS, back to the topic at hand. I would bet good money that CB still has 30-40% fewer ski days than they did in the late 90's when visits peaked, even on Epic.

Every time I leave CB I'm thinking about how they could make the lift infrastructure more organized. Such a weird layout.

That said, we always have a good time and being down there this past week was nice. Even though our home mountains got far more snow, we were ski-in-ski-out and the lift lines were far less than the I70 corridor.

I made the right move today. PowMow.

https://www.facebook.com/57491653252...6709132340883/

If I ever come back to SLC, or when I travel to Denver, arrive on Saturday and leave Saturday. This is getting ridiculous.

But tommorow should be ok. Follow the sun. I found a lot of butter on almost well done toast today that was much fun. God's grooming.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Every time I leave CB I'm thinking about how they could make the lift infrastructure more organized. Such a weird layout.

That said, we always have a good time and being down there this past week was nice. Even though our home mountains got far more snow, we were ski-in-ski-out and the lift lines were far less than the I70 corridor.
    The last time I was at CB, I was riding the chair with a patroller and remarked, on a Saturday, how I was surprised at the crowd (which wasn't Vail bad, but, still...). He said that a lot of front rangers, frustrated at the ever worsening I70 bullshit, are now opting for CB, since, it's the same drive or even shorter on weekends, especially from Colorado Springs.

Such is the downside of being one of the fastest sprawling metro regions in America. But, soon, they'll have bigger problems, like drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The last time I was at CB, I was riding the chair with a patroller and remarked, on a Saturday, how I was surprised at the crowd (which wasn't Vail bad, but, still...). He said that a lot of front rangers, frustrated at the ever worsening I70 bullshit, are now opting for CB, since, it's the same drive or even shorter on weekends, especially from Colorado Springs.

Such is the downside of being one of the fastest sprawling metro regions in America. But, soon, they'll have bigger problems, like drinking water.
    And of course, breathing air.

Probably has nothing to do with them being on the Epic pass or anything...

We just need a new era of resort expansion.

Salt lake could def support 2 more 2,000 ish acre resorts

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Probably has nothing to do with them being on the Epic pass or anything...
    Maybe you missed the part of my post earlier, but Epic or not, CB will probably have something like 200k fewer ski days this year than they did in the late 90's. Post 9/11 tighter airline schedules has a lot to do with that, and front rangers driving down to avoid I-70 hasn't made up for it. Not that I'm complaining...

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Maybe you missed the part of my post earlier, but Epic or not, CB will probably have something like 200k fewer ski days this year than they did in the late 90's. Post 9/11 tighter airline schedules has a lot to do with that, and front rangers driving down to avoid I-70 hasn't made up for it. Not that I'm complaining...

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    That was aimed at Benny being perplexed by crowds in CB, not at anything in your post. I mostly only skied CB on the free ski days at the end of the season back then. I think the Epic will eventually get CB back up to those numbers from the 90's. They've got a lot of work to do if they are going to be able to handle it though.

CB wasn't Epic yet when that observation was made.

CB wasn't Epic yet when that observation was made.
    Cool, so old observations are super relevant to current conversations.

I skied Vail one day in the 90's. The snow was super deep and there was no one there. I don't see what everyone is complaining about.

Way past the 90s.

Stop trying to blame superpasses or this or that for Colorado's or SLC's massive crowding issues. Both cities are booming, and both cities attract a young outdoorsy Outside magazine demographic in these booms . There are simply too many people in both places, and it gets worse by the week.

Way past the 90s.

Stop trying to blame superpasses or this or that for Colorado's or SLC's massive crowding issues. Both cities are booming, and both cities attract a young outdoorsy Outside magazine demographic in these booms . There are simply too many people in both places, and it gets worse by the week.
    You really are good at stating the obvious and arguing with people about shit everyone already knows.

I can tell ya one thing though, it still isn't as shitty as Connecticut.