Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    And Alf Engen always liked to remind people in the lift line that "We are the luckiest people in the world because we lived before this place got so fucking busy"
    FIFY
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

X

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    How about raising the price of an IKON pass to the same price $ 1550.00 and then lets see it the problems with overcrowding on big days continues?
    Agree

Name:  image0(1).jpeg
Views: 1348
Size:  74.5 KB

Driving up the LCC today around 930ish which is usually prime time ikonic shitshow in the LCC, on Sunday of Perz weekend powder day. ChaseB can verify the time.

#Fucktheikonpass
    #LCCikonfree

Blackout day?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Blackout day?
    Yep - it really is very noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Blackout day?
    Big Sky had very reasonable "crowds" this weekend that likely enhanced the guest experience of those visiting from out of town. I would be curious to know the yield from this weekend versus the weekend before that was insanely crowded.

Literally less than half the people here at Jackson this weekend compared to last. Just as deep also so now snow report schenanigans juicing visits.

I have a late start today so we'll see if the trend holds once I get out there.
    Live Free or Die

Less crowded on blackout days has been going on since long before ikon passes. Weekend crowds are mostly locals.

If I travel on my ikon pass I'm most likely to fly in on sunday and out on Saturday so I'm responsible for midweek crowing, not weekends. I suspect a lot of others do the same.

Jackson just started blackouts this year on their bypass I believe, I def didnt have the option before. They also nixed the weekend pass so its a 7/10 day or full pass.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Less crowded on blackout days has been going on since long before ikon passes. Weekend crowds are mostly locals.

If I travel on my ikon pass I'm most likely to fly in on sunday and out on Saturday so I'm responsible for midweek crowing, not weekends. I suspect a lot of others do the same.
    in reality, a significant percentage of visitors book long weekend trips flying thursday-tuesday, or they drive in over the weekend. since you're in truckee, I guess everything except SLC is probably a bitch of a drive. not sure if you're retired or not, but many working travelers can book lots of flights on points and try to avoid burning too many vacation days. multiple short ski trips. and passholders who ski weekends at a nearby resort can ski on weekends near home and then occasionally come up for long weekends to a different resort since it's free.

this conversation would be more productive if resorts leaked their data, but I guess anecdotes will have to do for now. but yes, ikon has led to noticeable midweek crowding too, not just epic weekend pow days, but also garbage hardpack wednesdays. the blackouts make a difference. don't diminish it.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    garbage hardpack wednesdays
    Wasn't that a Replacements album?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

I got ya as way more likely to stay home and make a dozen or so long winded expert posts on the interwebz
    then nap time
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

garbage hardpack wednesdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Wasn't that a Replacements album?
    As a core Mats fan I want to say, color me impressed.

in reality, a significant percentage of visitors book long weekend trips flying thursday-tuesday, or they drive in over the weekend. since you're in truckee, I guess everything except SLC is probably a bitch of a drive. not sure if you're retired or not, but many working travelers can book lots of flights on points and try to avoid burning too many vacation days. multiple short ski trips. and passholders who ski weekends at a nearby resort can ski on weekends near home and then occasionally come up for long weekends to a different resort since it's free.
    Some, yes, but not enough to account for the weekend crowds. They could do away with IKON and the crowds will still be there and you all will have to find something or someone else to blame rather than accepting that the crowds are people like you and me.

Meanwhile--ski and skate week here. Ankle biters everywhere. Used to be a pain dodging all of them. Now they're dodging me.
    Last edited by old goat; 02-18-2020 at 10:35 PM.

hopefully alta and snowbird follow suit

Name:  IMG_2137.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  233.5 KB

If you think that $ 150.00 up charge will change anything you are delusional.

Yes! But we are CONSISTENT!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

It's too crowded, no one goes there anymore

I’m in Steamboat this week, on my IKON. Sleeper storm on Tuesday, lightest snow I’ve ever skied. Skied on the lift all day, and found untracked, or lightly tracked, start to finish. Dry and chalky, yesterday and today. No one is here this week and the people are mellow here. I like this town and I like this hill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	195F80FA-1AB5-45D7-9FD8-9CDA660FCB02.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	530.4 KB 
ID:	317849
    crab in my shoe mouth

I know it’s anecdotal, but there have been way less people at snowbird and alta on ikon blackout weekends... but only the cheaper ikon pass has blackout dates ... which tells me a majority of ikon skiers are on the cheaper pass and therefore price sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I’m in Steamboat this week, on my IKON. Sleeper storm on Tuesday, lightest snow I’ve ever skied. Skied on the lift all day, and found untracked, or lightly tracked, start to finish. Dry and chalky, yesterday and today. No one is here this week and the people are mellow here. I like this town and I like this hill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	195F80FA-1AB5-45D7-9FD8-9CDA660FCB02.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	530.4 KB 
ID:	317849
    Not uncommon for Steamboat.....it can can get busy but nothing like most other resorts.

$ 150.00 is still a screamer deal if you include JH/Aspen. That's what a day at any of them costs. Throw in LCC and it completely loses its deterrent.

That 4 Days pass looks tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    hopefully alta and snowbird follow suit

Name:  IMG_2137.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  233.5 KB

Alta wanted to join. The bird didn’t. Since they’re offered as a combo resort for ikon days they had to come to an agreement. And they won’t be part be of this next year.