Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The sense of entitlement in this thread and especially in this post is breathtaking. "I want to keep away all those other people who don't deserve it, so I and my bros who do deserve it--because we're 'local', or because we understand the soul of skiing, or because we're so core--can ski fresh pow all day without anyone in our way. I want the cost of skiing to be low enough so that I can afford it but expensive enough that no one who has less money can afford it." Got it.
    And you, on the other hand, are here typifying the old-guy perspective: wherein your generation blows shit up with half of you being desperate to squeeze every last penny out of skiing and the other half fighting tooth and nail to keep more skiing from being built, then you scold us for “entitlement” for wanting things that you all took for granted when you were our age.

Quote Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
    This. Even Whistler is a ghost town Mon-Thu (as long as there hasn't been 50cm of cement delivered straight from Hawaii into the alpine, in which case the place is a gong show).

Bitching about resort crowds is like complaining about traffic. You're just as much of the "problem" as anyone else. Don't like it? Change your scheduling obligations up. Don't want to make the sacrifice of a smaller family/house, lower income, or whatever? Fine, but don't complain about it.
    Yep other than Xmas its been great. Even Sundays if not excellent conditions are pretty empty

I'm not young and not too old yet. I've seen things get busy. Fresh tracks used to be findable a day or two after a storm, now it's 2-3 hours. Parking was easy, plenty of seats at the bar, ski ups or at worst a 1-2 minute wait to hop on the chair. I was getting frustrated and didn't go as much the last few years. I ski by myself more now mid-week because a lot of my buddies are stuck at a desk or have family responsibilities. I miss some money making meetings here and there. I love storm skiing but I ski hard pack days more than I used to. I get up a bit earlier if it's a weekend or holiday. I look around and think about how these suckers don't get to experience what I did 10-20 years ago.

I say to myself the classic day after a pow day line when your buddy asks you how it was. "Should've been here yesterday".

I don't like the crowds but those crowds didn't get ski ups on a pow day like the "good old days".

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    No.

I do think the areas should put limits on the numbers. If their system is obviously overloading and the quality of the experience is diminished, how is that a good thing?
    Ah but who do you limit it to? The tourist coming in from out of town who is dropping a wad of cash on hotels, bars and restaurants, or the local who brings their lunch and heads home for a beer. The locals won’t be the winner in that scenario.

^^^ No, we won't.

In the case of my home resort, there is a shit load of "locals" who own a 2nd or 3rd home that happens to be here. They drop lots of $$$ and don't like crowds either.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I'll bet there are a ton of those blue hair types at Deer Valley that are none too happy about the Ikon invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I would have welcomed a few lift lines the past couple of days. I'm old and my body hurts, I could use the occasional rest.
    I waited 10 minutes twice today, Saturday, in phenomenal conditions. And skied onto the lifts every other lap. I appreciated the breaks because there were zero lines Thursday, another five star day.

So my point is: vibes to y'all at iconic ski resorts.

I should change my name to RibletRider.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I would have welcomed a few lift lines the past couple of days. I'm old and my body hurts, I could use the occasional rest.
    Ha! And damn you.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The sense of entitlement in this thread and especially in this post is breathtaking. "I want to keep away all those other people who don't deserve it, so I and my bros who do deserve it--because we're 'local', or because we understand the soul of skiing, or because we're so core--can ski fresh pow all day without anyone in our way. I want the cost of skiing to be low enough so that I can afford it but expensive enough that no one who has less money can afford it." Got it.
    I want all the locals to leave. The tourists are never in my way. But the locals are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ No, we won't.

In the case of my home resort, there is a shit load of "locals" who own a 2nd or 3rd home that happens to be here. They drop lots of $$$ and don't like crowds either.
    So, by definition they are not locals and are the ones who spend money and thus float the resort. The dirt bag in the tuning shop or washing dishes is not dropping big coin on the hill, and probably complains the loudest.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

OTOH Season pass holders provide a huge chunk of up front cash to fund most of a resort’s operation. Seems to me they are the patrons a resort should hold dear.

And some do. Crystal just stopped sale of day passes to minimize overcrowding. Alta used to (still does?) shut off day pass sales when crowds get out of hand. There’s likely others I don’t know about.

Those pics from Summit County and Vail on Friday make me ill. I've been skiing for 50 years and have never seen anything like that.

Luckily, it's easily avoidable if you have time and money to travel or take skiing seriously enough to relocate. I've skied over 100 resorts in North America and there are so many that usually have no lift lines, but these really stand out:

Tamarack, ID: Just skied a midweek powder day last week and there were about 100 people on the mountain. Lots of interesting runs and trees
    Apex, BC: Fun, friendly vibe, decent mountain, and nobody there
    Castle Mountain, AB: Empty and fun if there is snow. Powder available days after a storm. Fun chutes.
    Grand Targhee, WY: Can be lines on big days, but it snows so much and so often there that there really isn't the mad rush to get the goods
    Crested Butte, CO: This was actually MORE crowded back in the day when I lived there (80's-90's) with the double chairs. Now with the high-speed quads and even being Epic, it's a great place to be when it snows. They just need to upgrade or at least fix the North Face lift.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    So, by definition they are not locals and are the ones who spend money and thus float the resort. The dirt bag in the tuning shop or washing dishes is not dropping big coin on the hill, and probably complains the loudest.
    You would think so. Most of the Dirt Bags I know shrug their shoulders. OTOH I have heard a lot of bitching from the 2nd home owner "locals".

Season pass holders provide a huge chunk of up front cash to fund most of a resort’s operation. Seems to me they are the patrons a resort should hold dear.
    Exactly, we pay up front and if its a poor season too bad, the Mega pass holders don't show up and who in their right mind would pay 160+ for a day pass?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Vail chair 5 on Saturday shortly after they dropped the rope to the bowl:

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    #winning!

Breckenridge seems just about as crowded as it has been for the past 20 years, Crested Butte about the same as well. I haven’t skied Abasin this year because we do epic passes for the family but apparently it’s way less crowded this year. There are ways around most of the crowds, even if you’re a weekend warrior, but occasionally you do have to wait in lift lines or traffic if you live in Denver, work a m-f job and want to ski. I don’t own a 2nd home but I do enjoy the staycations up in the mountains with the family, those are always fun.

There seems to be a higher percentage of people skiing more difficult terrain but that’s probably more just because I’m getting worse as I get old.

With that being said I don’t think I’ve ever seen chair 5 at vail like that, was that the only area open back there or just the end of the day and everyone tried to leave at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Crested Butte, CO: This was actually MORE crowded back in the day when I lived there (80's-90's) with the double chairs. Now with the high-speed quads and even being Epic, it's a great place to be when it snows. They just need to upgrade or at least fix the North Face lift.
    Be careful what you wish for. The new North Face lift is totally gonna change that face. I’m already missing what’s there now.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I should change my name to RibletRider.
    Ya gotta love the Riblet lifts. Their being there proves the existence of a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. The new North Face lift is totally gonna change that face. I’m already missing what’s there now.
    Heckling people who got bucked off that old poma was fucking hilarious.
    They ran it so fast and it had no shock absorption left and all the platters were all squidgy and bent so you had to really jam it in your crotch and squeeze and it would fucking launch you and there were weird moguls right where it was bucking you around and a whole lineup of aggro brobrahs with literally nothing to do but watch the rodeo and heckle.

Same chair, a little later in the day.

One wonders if half of those people would have been at Abasin if they were still Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Heckling people who got bucked off that old poma was fucking hilarious.
    They ran it so fast and it had no shock absorption left and all the platters were all squidgy and bent so you had to really jam it in your crotch and squeeze and it would fucking launch you and there were weird moguls right where it was bucking you around and a whole lineup of aggro brobrahs with literally nothing to do but watch the rodeo and heckle.
    The fun run through the trees afterwards was usually a scene of carnage, too.

Cramminy, makes the BH lift at The Shoe lines look like a fast food cattle chute.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by wkndwarrior View Post
    Same chair, a little later in the day.
    Is that photoshopped? There is no way in hell I would ever wait in that line even if it was the deepest, lightest day ever.