Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Failed Septic Inspection

I once again come to the well of sage TGR advice - questionable as it may be. We had a septic inspection done on a place we’ve made an offer on and it failed. Estimates are currently coming in at $15-20k. We’re waiting on a 3rd quote expected in tomorrow and will be going back to the sellers with a proposal of how to deal with this. Real estate agents, people who have gone through this, who have knowledge in these types of situations - how is this type of cost typically split? The value of the place is obviously lower without a working septic and, conversely, it’s more valuable with a brand new system. What day the mag collective?

No well - municipal water.

We’re holding off on the home inspection until this is sorted financially. The house was built in 1980 so we’re not expecting perfection but, assuming items are revealed to need remediation, would the approach to that be any different?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Look at other properties?

What does your real estate agent say?

Make seller pay 100%

Then settle for 80
    . . .

I personally wouldn't buy a house without a working septic (or sewer) system. If the septic failed it failed for a reason. The reason could just that they weren't careful what they put down the drain and the drain field's clogged, ot it could be something with local conditions, like a change in the water table, that might be difficult or impossible to deal with. Don't open the door to a nightmare.

Failed Septic Inspection

Municipal inspection or private inspection? was this done for your information, or to be reported to the city/town/board of health in conjunction with the sale? Do you know why it failed? Geological components? Were there any representations from seller / seller’s agent to the condition of the system prior to making an offer? Are you getting financing? This could affect that, depending on the way it plays out, even with a ‘’fair’’ plan in place on how to pay for what is needed for repairs/replacement.

The result of your home inspection and what to do about it are another can of worms.

No matter what the answers those questions, the context of the housing market in the area and how this home fits within it at the price you’re paying is the biggest consideration on what you should be looking for moving forward, or why it might make sense to bail. IMO.

ETA I just realized you’re in Canada. I did stay at a holiday inn express once.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 02-07-2020 at 08:34 PM.

What is the real estate disclosure law in this part of canuckistan?

probably double that estimate
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Shitty deal

"Shitter's full."

You're gonna have to climb in in there yourself and check it out like it was the worst toilet in Scotland.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

When I've bought houses with problems I've expected the seller to fix all significant problems before the close of escrow. That way, if the problem isn't properly fixed you have recourse to the seller to make it right and if it takes twice as much to fix as the estimate the seller eats the extra not you. How that effects the price of the house is obviously subject to negotiation and depends on the market. Also, I don't want to buy a house and then wait for major work to be done before I can move in or while I'm trying to live there.

If you buy the house as is with an allowance to fix the problem you are on the hook if the cost exceeds the allowance. An old house is a collection of problems waiting to be discovered; let the seller and his contractor be the ones to find them. One of the reasons I hope to die in this house rather than have to ever sell it.

I went through that with a house I bought once. The seller was expected to pay for the fix, and he did.

I think if he refuses, you have the option to walk away, but maybe things are different up there?

Depending on disclosure laws, I'd go the other way. Negotiate out the price to fix it your way, because whatever they do will be the bare minimum to sell the house.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You're gonna have to climb in in there yourself and check it out like it was the worst toilet in Scotland.
    Eddie Murphy would jump in for there for a dollar

Will u be able to qualify for a loan with the failed septic?

What's the fail? The tank? The leech field? I bought a house last may in foreclosure so no inspection. Turns out the leech field was NEVER connected. House built in 1940. Tank was fine (1500gal cement) and the leech field cost 6500 to put in. All in all not horrible.
    I would suggest a split in costs, but it's not necessarily something I would run away from..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

depends
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    ETA I just realized you’re in Canada.
    Clearly the first step is to apologize profusely that their septic failed

This goaltender knows about ur septic nightmare:

In WI we are required to get a septic inspection whenever a property is sold. The report, good or bad must be sent to the county and if the system failed the county then requires it be fixed. Personally I would not offer anything. With a bad report the seller is in a bad spot, they are going to have to ultimately get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    In WI we are required to get a septic inspection whenever a property is sold. The report, good or bad must be sent to the county and if the system failed the county then requires it be fixed. Personally I would not offer anything. With a bad report the seller is in a bad spot, they are going to have to ultimately get it fixed.
    This.
    If there are options about how it can be fixed or upgraded then you could offer to cover add'l costs, but replacement should be their cost to bear.

Where did @OP go? Questions from me:

Are you working with an agent?
    What are the disclosure laws in your part of canaduh?

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    depends
    Problem solved. Well played sir.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    depends
    This, no septic system required.

On a slightly related note, we were grading our front yard and uncovered an old septic tank/vertical leech. 30' deep, 4' diameter and it was never filled when the city converted the neighborhood to sewer. Nine yards of concrete so far, and needs about four more. I can't believe the city allowed this, but not much to do about it 50 years later except pay the concrete bill.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot