Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I had this exact situation and required the seller to fix to the tune of 30k. After a week he changed his mind and said he'd give me 30k off the price. Since I was cash heavy and paying a lot down, I could divert the money...however I punted back and he eventually said no deal so we dropped out. Someone else eventually took a worse deal 6 months later ( 20k off list) and I bought a better house a block away. 4 yrs later that guy still hasn't replaced the system and doesn't care. Not sure why as his tank is crushed and leaky and 2 of the 4 drain lines are plugged.

Depends how bad you want the house but I would not split the cost...this now has to be disclosed and will scare 99% of buyers away....you have leverage. Make sure it's done right and use a concrete tank and make sure the drain lines are good....the field is the expensive part not the tank.

When we bought our house three years ago the septic report was good BUT be aware that any inspection is somewhat cursory. We have a two tank system with no pumps other than a small basement sump pump for furnace / AC condensate along with waste water from a tub in the basement. Everything else is gravity to the first tank. They pumped both tanks and checked for cracks and other failures.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe there is a good way to inspect a drain field other than checking for damp soil or finding an obvious blockage. The inspection report had a CUA disclaimer stating that it not possible to find any and all defects.

You need to talk to the muni who must inspect and approve the new septic system and possibly Island Health (the Ministry of Health has a say in septic systems). It's never simple. The requirements for septic systems have gotten stricter and a new system has to be engineered, may require a treatment plant, backup power for pumps, a new location or may not be possible at all. To start you need to do a percolation test which can take months. You might even have to wait until the rainy season is over.

When my brother built a house in Langley (near Campbell Valley Park) they wanted a treatment plant. Lucky for him a developer ran a sewer past his house and he could hook up.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Just expect the worst, if the seller aint gona fix the system to passing an inspection ask a contracter how much to instal a whole new system including getting an engineer to sign off, and go with that figure cuz this shit is usually fucking expensive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

meh, it's only Canadian money.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Depending on disclosure laws, I'd go the other way. Negotiate out the price to fix it your way, because whatever they do will be the bare minimum to sell the house.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe there is a good way to inspect a drain field other than checking for damp soil or finding an obvious blockage. The inspection report had a CUA disclaimer stating that it not possible to find any and all defects.
    Guy that did ours for both houses dug up the intersection of the main drain to the branches (there was one for each branch with a cover) and said if they are full it probably means there is a backup. The failed one had the first two full and the last two dry. Ground was wet too.

House we bought everything was dry and the exit line from the tank was clean. However the sellers only lived there for 10months and had it drained and inspected when they bought so I knew it was probably an easy pass.

Thats all I know about that.

I had one fail but the septic in my 1980 house never had a problem. 4 people including teens. Why did the OP's system fail?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Raining big time in Sacramento winter of 81-82, I look next to the garage of the 1927 house I'd owned for 5 years and see a hole. I look in, there's a deep hole under most of the 1 car garage with a sewer pipe going in and a lot of shit and food and water. Apparently when the city put in the sewer the original owner never hooked up. I covered the hole and sold the house that June. I know I will have to answer for my sin when my time comes, hope I've done enough good deeds since to make up for it. (I bought the house for 35K, sold for 62K, zillow is 500K,)

Little further information:
    The report of the failed inspection has been reported to the local health authority as required. Right now the local municipality is requesting a geotech and biologist report for the system. We’re looking at a total cost in the neighbourhood of $25k. Thinking of offering a 15/10 split - sellers paying the larger portion. Yes, we’re working with an agent - our understanding is that a split of the cost on an older home (40 years old in this case) is common as no buyer should be expecting brand new equipment unless this is built into the price (which it wasn’t in this case).

This is an estate sale so the sellers crossed off the disclosure statement but would have to inform any future buyers of the septic issues.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Had a buddy with a 1200 sq/ft ranch who covered a bulging basement block wall with paneling to sell it. Skip ahead 15 years and he sold his business for $15 mil after tax and moved to Beaver Creek. People are as honest as they can afford to be so I've heard said.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Little further information:
    The report of the failed inspection has been reported to the local health authority as required. Right now the local municipality is requesting a geotech and biologist report for the system. We’re looking at a total cost in the neighbourhood of $25k. Thinking of offering a 15/10 split - sellers paying the larger portion. Yes, we’re working with an agent - our understanding is that a split of the cost on an older home (40 years old in this case) is common as no buyer should be expecting brand new equipment unless this is built into the price (which it wasn’t in this case).

This is an estate sale so the sellers crossed off the disclosure statement but would have to inform any future buyers of the septic issues.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It's now a disclosure item. And this isn't like a broken dishwasher. The expectation at the original price was for an inhabitable home, and without a septic system it isn't habitable. Seller covers 100% or walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    It's now a disclosure item. And this isn't like a broken dishwasher. The expectation at the original price was for an inhabitable home, and without a septic system it isn't habitable. Seller covers 100% or walk away.
    I agree. And I wouldn't hang your hat on that 25K figure, especially since you haven't seen those reports. The sellers can't sell a house without a working septic system. Increase your offer if you think you must to cover some of the expense but make your offer a fixed price and contingent on the house having a working septic system that passes inspection. Don't offer to pay a percentage of whatever the septic costs.

Basically, don't agree to buy something when you don't know how much it costs.

Do we care if the op ever comes back, btw?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Basically, don't agree to buy something when you don't know how much it costs.

Do we care if the op ever comes back, btw?
    He listened to the wasteland goaltender and walked away, just walked away.

Huh? The OP posted yesterday. Said he was going to pay 40% of the cost to get it fixed. Not what I would do, but he must really want the house.

He really likes the interior lighting.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    He really likes the interior lighting.
    He's got a rug that ties it all together.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

We sold our house after too much negotiation with the pushy dick head husband of the couple that bought it. They had been shopping for two years and I found out later that the wife told the dick that if he lost this deal he'd be sleeping in the hall of their apartment.

How much RidX will it take?

If you really want the house- better have a pretty firm idea of what it is going to take to make it livable structure. Otherwise drop out of the deal or offer them a fixed amount of money at closing once the system is tested and working as your share of the costs, never a percentage of an unknown amount.

I would guess that the deal wouldn't close until some town inspector ok's the system. Don't know the OP's situation but the folks that bought ours spent $100k in upgrades they wanted over the first 3 years.

If I had a client in that situation, I would have suggested making the seller escrow 1.5-2x the estimate at closing and letting my buyer fix it in the spring with their own contractor. As others have pointed out, this will make it hard for the seller to sell to anyone else since they have to disclose, and it's a big deal, not a broken dishwasher like the example above. But if your market is heavily skewed to sellers, or you feel like you're already getting a screaming deal, or it's your dream house, go ahead and split it. It may not be common for sellers to fix things in that area, so your agent may be on the right track. I don't know...

A house in an estate sale could sit around and fester for years while things get fixed & stuff gets sold

I've seen a place with the old oil tank issues sit for ever and end up sold at half the price

I've heard 50-60 k for a new sewage lagoon, altho this is a field at 25K

the point would be that finding water and a place to put the shit out in the country is usually horribly expensive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    If I had a client in that situation, I would have suggested making the seller escrow 1.5-2x the estimate at closing and letting my buyer fix it in the spring with their own contractor. As others have pointed out, this will make it hard for the seller to sell to anyone else since they have to disclose, and it's a big deal, not a broken dishwasher like the example above. But if your market is heavily skewed to sellers, or you feel like you're already getting a screaming deal, or it's your dream house, go ahead and split it. It may not be common for sellers to fix things in that area, so your agent may be on the right track. I don't know...
    Can you get a mortgage with a failed septic report ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    This.
    If there are options about how it can be fixed or upgraded then you could offer to cover add'l costs, but replacement should be their cost to bear.
    This, times how ever many people have agreed. Sold our house in WA state with a septic system. Same process. Our passed with flying colors and as the inspector commented, our drain field was the "gold standard", so no issues at closing.

But a neighbor up the street had the double whammy of a bad drain field and septic tank. It was over $30k to have it removed and hooked up to public sewer. Had to take the house off the market until it was done, as no one was interested in buying the house with that issue, and the seller didn't have the funds up front to fix it.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch