Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    "What has 9 arms and sucks?"

I was in an airport last week and overheard two little girls talking about Zep and Creedence with Dad, who looked like he wasn't alive when Woodstock happened, so, I guess this thing still has a decade or two to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Jesus, the local Classic rock station plays Boston a lot. For fucks sake. And Steve Miller. I mean, even if you're a fan, how many fucking times can you hear shit that's been around OVER FIFTY YEARS before, saying, eh, maybe something else?

Thank God Billy Joel isn't played much anymore.
    Fly Like An Eagle, The Joker, and Rock N Me are all on my never again list.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    "What has 9 arms and sucks?"
    It's amazing he can still play with only one arm!

...or his playing was so unimaginative that nobody noticed the difference.

Was never a Def fan at all, but I did think it was admirable that they didn't abandon their buddy in that instance and get a new drummer. Hard to be heavy metal sex symbols when you got a one arm guy along but they made it work.

If we're only talking classic rock I can't listen to any of it anymore. Not saying some of it doesn't have merit but I am just so so sick of those songs. I'll put on a country station before classic rock if that's all there is to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I'll put on a country station before classic rock if that's all there is to choose from.
    That seems a bit extreme.

Classic country, or new stuff?

Songs that should be retired for ten years

Thank God Billy Joel isn't played much anymore.
    What if we keep it in the late 80s and keep it fun?

WTF was that?????

Hilarious
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

It's from Step Brothers: a movie that was basically an excuse for Will Ferrell and John C Reilly to be silly for 90 minutes. The Billy Joel singer is Horatio Sanz.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

If we're only talking classic rock I can't listen to any of it anymore. Not saying some of it doesn't have merit but I am just so so sick of those songs. I'll put on a country station before classic rock if that's all there is to choose from.
    I agree with this, except the country music part. The entire classic rock canon has been played to death and frankly, is not aging very well at all. Beyond a few bands (The Beatles maybe and a few others), i'm increasingly thinking that no one will remember any classic rock type acts in a few years. Billie Eilish's Van who? comments are ringing entirely true IMO.

But to answer the question more directly, anything by Aerosmith, Smoke on the Water, More Than a Feeling, Carry on my Wayward, Feel like Makin' Love... and many, many more.

There are so , so many nice you start thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody...Punk rock was invented
    So, you're saying that Mercury & Co. gave the world two gifts with a single song.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

This thread could pretty much just be re-titled "people that don't like classic rock"

This thread could pretty much just be re-titled "people that don't like classic rock"
    That's pretty far from the truth for me. I listened to a Steppenwolf album pretty recently that didn't include 'magic carpet ride' and it was really psychedelic and ahead of its time. even albums that have hits that are overplayed are awesome as actual albums. Like any Beach Boys, even Pet Sounds.... but I could listen to Friends before that greatest hits crap like kokomo or surfing safari that's on the radio. Black Sabbath? So many good tunes that never went on the radio. The Clash? Same and a relevant political messages. Really punk! Lots of respect and influence from other cultures. Amazing musicians. Those guys were gods.

So maybe this is just an unpopular opinion but The Stones are just crap. Assholes playing annoying boomer music. Fucking marketing. Great job ripping off black American music, British Elvis. They're also the victims and beneficiaries of their own success and longevity. I don't hate that they stockpiled millions, but can't they just go away and enjoy it? And yet they are still around saying crap like this....

Keith Richards: "what rap did that was great was show how many tone deaf people there are."

Mick a 100 years ago when he was young: “I only meant to do it for two years. I guess the band would just disperse one day and say goodbye. I would continue to write and sing, but I’d rather be dead than sing Satisfaction when I’m 45.”

Fucking posers and idiots. I can't believe the fucking Beatles all went and died and these guys are still around.

If you think I'm wrong, go ahead and pick up a t-shirt at wal mart, they are on sale now (that's how cool they are)!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/the-rol...gaAj06EALw_wcB
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I don't hate classic rock but it is becoming an embarrassing cliche. I heard on Offspring song on a classic rock station not long ago. Now that it's 25 years old, I guess it can be accepted into the fold. Embarrassing that something has to be around for that long before it can become acceptable and safe to an audience. What was once the music of rebellion has become the calling card of what the young folk are referring when they say 'ok boomer' .

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    That's pretty far from the truth for me. I listened to a Steppenwolf album pretty recently that didn't include 'magic carpet ride' and it was really psychedelic and ahead of its time. even albums that have hits that are overplayed are awesome as actual albums. Like any Beach Boys, even Pet Sounds.... but I could listen to Friends before that greatest hits crap like kokomo or surfing safari that's on the radio. Black Sabbath? So many good tunes that never went on the radio. The Clash? Same and a relevant political messages. Really punk! Lots of respect and influence from other cultures. Amazing musicians. Those guys were gods.

So maybe this is just an unpopular opinion but The Stones are just crap. Assholes playing annoying boomer music. Fucking marketing. Great job ripping off black American music, British Elvis. They're also the victims and beneficiaries of their own success and longevity. I don't hate that they stockpiled millions, but can't they just go away and enjoy it? And yet they are still around saying crap like this....

Keith Richards: "what rap did that was great was show how many tone deaf people there are."

Mick a 100 years ago when he was young: “I only meant to do it for two years. I guess the band would just disperse one day and say goodbye. I would continue to write and sing, but I’d rather be dead than sing Satisfaction when I’m 45.”

Fucking posers and idiots. I can't believe the fucking Beatles all went and died and these guys are still around.

If you think I'm wrong, go ahead and pick up a t-shirt at wal mart, they are on sale now (that's how cool they are)!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/the-rol...gaAj06EALw_wcB
    But isn't this thread about songs that are good, but overplayed?

So you hate the stones. That's fine. If their songs go away for 10 years, are you suddenly going to like them?

it wouldn’t hurt. maybe in ten years i’ll forget that Start Me Up launched Windows 95.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I like a lot of classic rock, but hate Classic Rock™

Classic country, or new stuff?
    I love classic country, but we don't have a station that plays it, just the new stuff. I'll listen for about two weeks until I'm sick of the rotation, then not go back for six months when I'll do it again. Just as a change of pace. I know the music is cheesy af. But I absolutely will not tune in to our classic rock station anymore. I just can't.

One thing I like these days is driving with my teens and listening to their playlists. So much interesting music out there that doesn't get played on any station playing current hits. My kids have Apple Music subscriptions and are really good at finding unusual stuff. I think that's great.

Funny thing, my sophomore daughter went to the school formal dance the other night. Most popular song played by the DJ, the one that really got the kids dancing and going crazy? "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield. Go figure.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I am both saddened and horrified by the blatantly incorrect use of the word "classic"

Every Rose Has It's Thorn and More Than Words. A decade absence is not enough for these pieces of garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    it wouldn’t hurt. maybe in ten years i’ll forget that Start Me Up launched Windows 95.
    Start me up was a terrible song to begin with. 10 years isn't gonna fix that. That one was definitely into the Stones' "phone it in and make a shitload of money" period.

But Sympathy for the Devil could use 10 years off. Good song, overplayed. Same for Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, and Paint it Black

Start me up was a terrible song to begin with. 10 years isn't gonna fix that. That one was definitely into the Stones' "phone it in and make a shitload of money" period.

But Sympathy for the Devil could use 10 years off. Good song, overplayed. Same for Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, and Paint it Black
    Like they haven't been phoning it in and making shitloads since?

Keith, Keith, wake up!

Like they haven't been phoning it in and making shitloads since?

Keith, Keith, wake up!
    Oh, for sure. The Stones' phoning it in period runs from ~1979 through present.

But I'm sure they're back in the studio working on an artistic masterpiece as we speak.

if only they had died in a plane crash after exile on main st