Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ^^^ harsh. but kinda true.

Yep; no body knows how to retire anymore. Fookin' pussies.

Retire classic rock stations from your repertoire and you won't need to retire individual songs

Saw Def Leppard live with some friends a couple years ago. I'm not a big fan, but they put on one hell of a show. Poison was the opener, and they very much met my very low expectations as far as energy, sound quality, etc. Def Leppard completely blew those expectations out of the water.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

What about Ten Years After?

By definition, aren’t they ten years after?

. . .

Yeah, lot's of Stones gets way overplayed, but "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is still sublime, and they'll unfortunately never play "Star, Star"..

As for bagging on classic rock, lots of U2 needs to be retired, along with the Pistols and Ramones.

Pistols live at Chelmsford prison never gets old
    Let’s have a riot.

Reminds me of a videotape a buddy had of the Cramps playing a mental hospital.
    I guess youtube is good for something
    . . .

methinks the lot of you fools should stop listening to commerical radio.

every song that has been mentioned thus far I don't have a problem hearing because I only hear them once or twice a year, max.

then again, i have a 2004 Tacoma with a tape deck and CD player and a large room full of CDs (and vinyl) from which I andomly grab albums every week and toss several into the truck and then listen to the same album for a week or two at a time. I constantly rotate tunes at home, too (I rock an old 5-disc player and grab 5 albums from each respectable genre in my collection--rock, reggae, rap, electronic, and then a misc.--and go from there).

We have some Sirius stations blaring at work, ranging from '80s pop/rock to disco/funk, but it's background music. And I gotta admit that the other day hearing KC and the Sunshine Band into Abba into The Commodores helped me get through a rough day of teaching kids how to pizza and french fry on the "magic carpet"...

that said I could probably do without hearing "Achy Breaky Heart" and anything by Taylor Swift...

then again, I find a lot of these "out of date" tunes you are all tossing about really depend on context. I mean if you're at a country bar and they put on "Bohemian Rhapsody" and folks start line dancing, well I'd find that humorous and kinda cool.
    I was once at a country bar years and years ago and when "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC came on every cowboy and cowgirl jumped on the dance floor and began stepping. It was the most gloriously insane thing I'd ever seen at a club at the time. (For the record, I was at said bar to see Paris, the Bay Area rapper, and 415 a cult classic gangsta rap group from Oakland...the bar was a country bar until 10pm and then the rap show happened...I just got to the bar early and was graced with the AC/DC line dancing).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Seriously. I don't think I've listened to more than 30 minutes of (music) radio since spotify became a thing.

I was once at a country bar years and years ago and when "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC came on every cowboy and cowgirl jumped on the dance floor and began stepping. It was the most gloriously insane thing I'd ever seen at a club at the time. (For the record, I was at said bar to see Paris, the Bay Area rapper, and 415 a cult classic gangsta rap group from Oakland...the bar was a country bar until 10pm and then the rap show happened...I just got to the bar early and was graced with the AC/DC line dancing).
    That is insane and a great story. And Shouldn’t Paris be in you slept on MC thread? Somewhat debatable I know.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    That is insane and a great story. And Shouldn’t Paris be in you slept on MC thread? Somewhat debatable I know.
    Paris is definitely slept on. First time I've heard him mentioned in at least 10 yrs.

Like your work situation, I only listen to it when it's beyond my control.

every song that has been mentioned thus far I don't have a problem hearing because I only hear them once or twice a year, max.

then again, i have a 2004 Tacoma with a tape deck and CD player and a large room full of CDs (and vinyl) from which I andomly grab albums every week and toss several into the truck and then listen to the same album for a week or two at a time. I constantly rotate tunes at home, too (I rock an old 5-disc player and grab 5 albums from each respectable genre in my collection--rock, reggae, rap, electronic, and then a misc.--and go from there).

We have some Sirius stations blaring at work, ranging from '80s pop/rock to disco/funk, but it's background music. And I gotta admit that the other day hearing KC and the Sunshine Band into Abba into The Commodores helped me get through a rough day of teaching kids how to pizza and french fry on the "magic carpet"...

that said I could probably do without hearing "Achy Breaky Heart" and anything by Taylor Swift...

then again, I find a lot of these "out of date" tunes you are all tossing about really depend on context. I mean if you're at a country bar and they put on "Bohemian Rhapsody" and folks start line dancing, well I'd find that humorous and kinda cool.
    Sometimes, all you want is news, sports, traffic, and a tune or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Sometimes, all you want is news, sports, traffic, and a tune or two.
    he said commercial radio, none of these songs found anywhere around here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ener-supported

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    As for bagging on classic rock, lots of U2 needs to be retired, along with the Pistols and Ramones.
    you shut your whore mouth there can never be enough Ramones or Sex Pistols (ok maybe the Pistols but not retired)
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

...or quit going to ski resorts and other places where they play classic rock/Muzak. I got fucking “Willie And The Poor Boys” stuck in my head today while queueing up in a lift line.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ...or quit going to ski resorts and other places where they play classic rock/Muzak. I got fucking “Willie And The Poor Boys” stuck in my head today while queueing up in a lift line.

Not indicative of all ski resorts...I spent the afternoon skiing at Alpine Meadows today. They play a lot of Dead and Dead-related music in the lodge (I'm guessing it's some Sirius Grateful Dead algorithm station?). Outside of that, each liftie was bumping their own flavor of music. I was skiing solo, so I rode all the running lifts, including the ground lifts. The "Magic Carpet" was blasting club music. At the top of the Yellow Chair the liftie was bumping some vintage GD. And 2 weeks ago, at the top of ABC lift, the liftie was blaring Van Halen (DLR era) all day long...it was like musical chairlifts!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I just never want to hear Willie And The Poor Boys again. I’d much rather hear hip-hop.

Not indicative of all ski resorts...I spent the afternoon skiing at Alpine Meadows today. They play a lot of Dead and Dead-related music in the lodge (I'm guessing it's some Sirius Grateful Dead algorithm station?). Outside of that, each liftie was bumping their own flavor of music. I was skiing solo, so I rode all the running lifts, including the ground lifts. The "Magic Carpet" was blasting club music. At the top of the Yellow Chair the liftie was bumping some vintage GD. And 2 weeks ago, at the top of ABC lift, the liftie was blaring Van Halen (DLR era) all day long...it was like musical chairlifts!
    Coolest liftie music I ever heard came out of speakers at Taos. One reason I loved that place. It was far from classic rock. Strange mix of Chicano rap and funk and some other stuff I've never heard, but it was cool.

Coolest liftie music I ever heard came out of speakers at Taos. One reason I loved that place. It was far from classic rock. Strange mix of Chicano rap and funk and some other stuff I've never heard, but it was cool.
    First time you heard RHCP, right?

Ironically, it was yesterday at the base at Taos where I heard that CCR song. The lifties at Chairs 2, 4, and 7 had good tunes going though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    But isn't this thread about songs that are good, but overplayed?
    I can't tell, that's what the thread title implies but most seem to be listing songs they don't ever want to hear (though I guess retiring a hated song for 10 years is an improvement over hearing it regularly).

I'm no hudge Stones fan, but man, Beggar's Banquet is an awesome album. Sure, they hung around too long but they were not talentless hacks.

Off the top of my head, there's no song I hear right now so frequently that I'd say it should be retired for 10 years. But if we're talking about shit I'd rather not hear again, I'd be happy to never hear Don Henley's voice again (and anything else by the Eagles), same for U2.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Crazy Train

How 'bout songs (bands) that are shit and overplayed?

Can ONLY be..........................................

RUSH.

What I'd give for them to never be heard again. How fucking AWFUL!!!

"Bad music played well". This is what you get for the Canadian quota music requirement

Sitting in a bar and J Geils came on. Shame they have been lost to the likes of Steve Miller and Boston.