Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I had Achilles surgery 9 years ago, from a bad fall skiing.

Lost a lot of leg muscle, then, 4 weeks after the surgery I started electro muscle stimulation and I gained two inches in my quad circumference in a few weeks.

It's hard, you can't watch TV while you're doing it.
    The most intense contractions I've ever felt.

But it works.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Oh wow. I’ll check that out.

I’m 9 mos into rehab on mine. Can do everything except one legged heel raises on repaired foot. And I’m almost there on that!
    See https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-in-ski-crash for the experience of many others as well.

Talk to your doc about casting you at 90 degrees right off the bat. Some docs start you off with foot pointed down a little, then re-splint you a few weeks later. Adds two weeks in the cast. No bueno.

Get yourself a knee scooter to get around. The “all terrain” version is better, but with only three wheels and a steep head tube angle, it gets dicey in corners at speed.

Good luck. Reach out if you want to discuss more

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I had Achilles surgery 9 years ago, from a bad fall skiing.

Lost a lot of leg muscle, then, 4 weeks after the surgery I started electro muscle stimulation and I gained two inches in my quad circumference in a few weeks.

It's hard, you can't watch TV while you're doing it.
    The most intense contractions I've ever felt.

But it works.

Stab the electro probe into yer prostate and you'll go the moon

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I’m 9 mos into rehab on mine. Can do everything except one legged heel raises on repaired foot. And I’m almost there on that!
    See https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-in-ski-crash for the experience of many others as well.

Talk to your doc about casting you at 90 degrees right off the bat. Some docs start you off with foot pointed down a little, then re-splint you a few weeks later. Adds two weeks in the cast. No bueno.

Get yourself a knee scooter to get around. The “all terrain” version is better, but with only three wheels and a steep head tube angle, it gets dicey in corners at speed.

Good luck. Reach out if you want to discuss more
    Thanks man. Just finished reading that entire thread. Gives me hope on getting back on my feet again in hopefully short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Stab the electro probe into yer prostate and you'll go the moon
    The wife would kill me from having to clean the mess off the ceiling..

Fuck fuck fuck — dude this sucks!! Glad you’re getting in quickly for a repair but damn; gunna be mighty lonely at Silver w/o you. I’ll make it over to CDA for a beer when I’m back. Heal up bud.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Thanks guys.

Oh wow. I’ll check that out.
    The one I use is Compex, but there are other ones.

I don't leg press anymore, all I do is the electro stimulation for quads, hamstrings and butt, twice a year for 6 weeks each, then once a week for maintenance.

And once a year, I go to the gym and test my strength on the leg press and I'm the same as I was years ago, 650 to 700 pounds, so I know that the electro stimulation works.

There's a lot of research on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Fuck fuck fuck — dude this sucks!! Glad you’re getting in quickly for a repair but damn; gunna be mighty lonely at Silver w/o you. I’ll make it over to CDA for a beer when I’m back. Heal up bud.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks man. Bummed I wont be up there until next season.
    Sounds like a plan.

Took a stoopid slow speed over the bars yesterday. Bindings didn’t release due to having them up for higher speed crashing scenarios. Heard a loud pop at the end of extension from the over the bars. Once I got rolled over the pain hit me and I knew immediately that I tore my Achilles. Fuck me. Maybe I just strained it real bad. Took another gingerly run and about 3/4 of the way down reality set in of, “ yep, it’s bad”.
    Went to the patrol shack and had them help get my boot off and assess. I reached down and pushed on my left Achilles, mushy....
    Packed ice around it to drive the 1hr to OSSM in CDA. Saw the nurse who confirmed my fears. Said there is some still attached but I need surgery asap. Luckily Dr. Brown, who specializes in Achilles reconstruction/attachment and is one of the best in the NW was able to squeeze me in his schedule. Surgery is next Thursday.
    Ski season is done for this guy. Going to be a long 3 months as I don’t sit idle very well. Hoping to be able to at least hobble into the gym and do some stuff soon after surgery. I’ll see what the surgeon says and go from there.
    Feck.
    Fuck, I've had nightmares of ripping my Achilles as a punishment for my life.

I know a bunch of surgeons, and a couple people who have gotten the rip cord. I can give you hope that while another piece of your body might take a short cut, you will crush again. It's very humbling, from an existential perspective. That is why there are myths and tombs written about the injury.

Vibes my man. I'll stop by for beers sometime soonish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Vibes my man. I'll stop by for beers sometime soonish.
    I would like that man.

Thanks MTM.

vibes funky, sounds freak. bums me out reading that with as much stoke as you bring. keep yer head right mang

That sucks . Hdal up man. Maybe you can find some info in Rachels recovery. Heres the point of her injury and theres some of the recovery process after
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzx70g2F...d=oa1v7z00s51v

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    preemptively get some flowers/gift for the Mrs as a "sorry, but I'm going to be an asshole to live with for the next few months."
    Fact. Follow this advice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Fact. Follow this advice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, been giving the wife and daughters fun money to go get nails done, etc.

Out of surgery now 1.5 hrs. Hungry as shit. Eating slowly so as not to get nauseous.
    Let the healing begin!

Nice!

Best of luck, dude!

If you're on opiates don't forget the stool softener.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Best of luck, dude!
    Thanks man!
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    If you're on opiates don't forget the stool softener.
    Good point as I am, grabbed some on the way home.

+1 on the softener. Be preemptive.

Heal up fast!

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Ask for a scrip of Gabapentin for nerve pain.

Day 5 after surgery. So far so good. I can be vertical for only about 5 min before my toes turns blue and starts to swell then back to the couch and elevated. Sucks as I want to do some shit around the house. Have a call in to the nurse to see if that’s normal.
    Weened myself down to 2 oxy a day as opposed to one every 4 hrs. as prescribed. Took one last night at 8pm and haven’t had one yet today. Going to try to not take them. No pain so far. Self medicating with GDP helps a ton before bed. Sleep like a baby and also seems to help with pain management.
    I’ll look into GABA if needed. I try to keep the meds at a minimum.
    Reading is keeping me sane so far. I can only watch so much tv before boredom sets in and back to reading.
    Might have to buy a small bed tray so I can super tune all my fishing reels, can’t sit at the table.

Day 5 after surgery. So far so good. I can be vertical for only about 5 min before my toes turns blue and starts to swell then back to the couch and elevated. Sucks as I want to do some shit around the house. Have a call in to the nurse to see if that’s normal.
    Sounds about right. Same thing happened to AC after her TKR. Well, not blue toes, but she could feel her leg inflating. Hell, she's 27 days out now and still needs to be elevating most of the time. Your lymphatic system doesn't work for shit below the knee.

ETA: Even my comparatively minimal Morton's neuroma resection required shitloads of time elevating for weeks.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-18-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Weened myself down to 2 oxy a day as opposed to one every 4 hrs. as prescribed. Took one last night at 8pm and haven’t had one yet today. Going to try to not take them. No pain so far. Self medicating with GDP helps a ton before bed. Sleep like a baby and also seems to help with pain management.
    I’ll look into GABA if needed. I try to keep the meds at a minimum.
    Reading is keeping me sane so far. I can only watch so much tv before boredom sets in and back to reading.
    Might have to buy a small bed tray so I can super tune all my fishing reels, can’t sit at the table.
    Hang in there brother! I like your pill plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sounds about right. Same thing happened to AC after her TKR. Well, not blue toes, but she could feel her leg inflating. Hell, she's 27 days out now and still needs to be elevating most of the time. Your lymphatic system doesn't work for shit below the knee.
    From what I have read it seems normal. Happy healing to AC!
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Hang in there brother! I like your pill plan.
    Thanks broseph!

Do you tune them to Sea Sharp?

atb, heal swift and strong, k00k.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<