Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Gimp

New Gimp

Skiing slow on a mellow groomer I caught a weird edge and my knee went pop pop pop. Got MRI results today and was gutted, I thought maybe partial tear but no. Full ACL and popliteus tendon tears and partial on MCL and meniscus with extensive bone bruising as a coup de grace.

What kind of things do I need to be doing to get ready for surgery. Ortho said PT to get ROM before surgery, what can I expect to be doing?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Skiing slow on a mellow groomer I caught a weird edge and my knee went pop pop pop. Got MRI results today and was gutted, I thought maybe partial tear but no. Full ACL and popliteus tendon tears and partial on MCL and meniscus with extensive bone bruising as a coup de grace.

What kind of things do I need to be doing to get ready for surgery. Ortho said PT to get ROM before surgery, what can I expect to be doing?
    Bummer! Sorry to hear the news. The main thing before surgery is getting the swelling down, getting full range of motion, and to keep the quad firing. So, quad isometrics and range of motion exercises are the main components of pt.

Good luck!

I got hurt pretty bad in a similar situation 2 years ago, sorry to hear that man. When you're just chilling and not paying much attention the consequences can suck hard. Ice and elevation as much as possible and NSAID's judiciously but consistently plus whatever you can do to maintain strength and flexibility are gonna be the ticket

Fuck, sorry to hear that, Jed.

New Gimp

Shit Jed, I'm sorry to hear.

Jed, if you don't have one, look to get an exercise bike, fluid trainer etc that you can set up and ride 15-30 min 1-2x per day.
    Quad sets where you tense up the muscle and hold 15sec, 3x 10-15. Straight leg lifts focused on no knee bend, heel approx 12" off the floor.

don't push thru the pain, it's very important to get the swelling down as much as possible before and after repairs.

Vibes buddy, injuries suck but full recovery is possible. The bone bruising can persist for a couple of months...
    Move upside and let the man go through...

keep skiing?

honestly when i blew mine once the initial swelling went away i was ok skiing on it the rest of the season but my ortho said that is relatively uncommon physiology to have the stability to stay active sans ACL.

What type of surgery? auto vs allograft? if you go hammy i'd prepare by working on stretching that summabitch as much as possible. The 'Injury" to your hamstring was the most difficult part for me to rehab and regain full ROM in that leg

Sorry to hear you're out of commission. guess this means no surprise AAI appearance

Dang.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Shit Jed, that’s a drag. I’m on IR as well.

Damn, sorry to see this
    Good luck with recovery

Vibes man. Heal it up. Stay true to your pt

Maybe not yet if this happened recently, but I biked a lot prior to my acl/mcl/pcl surgery and was in pretty good shape with good muscle mass and the surgeon was impressed.

I believe the point is that after surgery you're going to have muscle wasting so getting as strong as possible beforehand gives you a bit of a head start against that.

Fucking groomers... they're dangerous! I had my injury skiing groomers as well by mechanism was high speed, pre-release, and impact with a tree.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Bummer man. It really sucks and is a life changer. Before surgery I walked a lot, as much for my mental health as anything.

Post surgery get one of these. I have to take it everywhere I go now. But it works. Better than a walker. I wish I had started rolling my IT band immediately because looking back that is what kept making my knee feel wonky after every workout post op up until now several seasons later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoamRolling_annotated-05c42d1f87964458b37dc1fd28df78e5.gif 
Views:	75 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	314421

It’s still fresh. Just happened Saturday. I did 10 minutes on a recumbent exercise bike with no resistance. Was crazy difficult, I think because of the popliteus tendon. Thanks for the vibes.

Bummer, Jed. Sounds like some significant damage when considering the cumulative effect of all that.

Brutal Jed! You will be back out on the water soon enough. Heal well!

Good news from PT, my ROM is pretty good and swelling is almost gone. He thinks I can get cut on sooner than later. Got surgery consult Friday. Made a stupid decision and watched an ACL repair on YouTube. It fucked me up a little, not gonna lie.

Heal up quickly!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Man, I know the US health care system has it's issues, but if you have good coverage you get good and timely treatment. It's great that your case is progressing this quickly.

After tearing my ACL, MCL, PCL, popliteus, patellar ligament, and possibly even some damage to LCL, I still had to wait 6 months for my surgery.

I didn't pay for it (other than braces) but I would really have loved to get it done faster.

It's not pleasant but you can and will recover from this. Hang in there.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    keep skiing?

honestly when i blew mine once the initial swelling went away i was ok skiing on it the rest of the season but my ortho said that is relatively uncommon physiology to have the stability to stay active sans ACL.

Sounds like you are on the path to surgery sooner than later which may take away the temptation to follow Seatown's example.

But if you are tempted, I'll offer the opposite suggestion based on another N=1 sample - do NOT keep skiing. I did - with a doctor's OK - and messed things up much worse, complicating the inevitable surgery (with another doc) and recovery. I had the stability to stay active but a couple of times each ski day would feel a jolt of bone-on-bone pain. I guess the lesson is listen to your body.

Overall though +1 on the vibes. Sucks when it's your turn but, it sounds like you have a good plan and should trust yourself to come back stronger.

I’m in too much pain to ski now. I just want to get this shit fixed and get on with my life. I’ve never had a major injury like this and I feel trapped. The sooner I can get back to the mountain/dojo/gym the fucking better. Losing my shit. Plus side my guitar playing is taking positive strides and new songs are being written.

With that bag of feelings, you have definitely joined the gimp club, bruddah.

get well soon

no point in waiting. good luck on your recovery
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    no point in waiting. good luck on your recovery
    At this point I’m just trying to be good by fishing season.