Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Gimp

My PT just caught me doing kettlebell swings at the gym. lol
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Stay off the skis and spin on a trainer. Hopefully you can get things in order for fishing season as I have read enough to know how important it is to your life.
    Nice to see you have music to keep your mind engaged.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    At this point I’m just trying to be good by fishing season.
    Don't set "time frame" goals, your knee has a schedule of its own. Use what your doc and PT say as guidelines, but don't get too caught up in it.

I did what Mofro says, rode the trainer 1/2 hr. twice a day and quad sets whenever I thought about it. Pretty much the same injury as yours, full ACL, partial MCL, meniscus both sides - my doc said he wanted the swelling gone and the leg at nearly full strength going into surgery, so I waited about 3 weeks.

Nine months out from surgery this week, feels pretty good and skiing OK - I would give it 90% on groomers and 80% off. Still a bit of pain on icy & chattery stuff, or frozen debris, etc.

Skiing slow on a mellow groomer I caught a weird edge and my knee went pop pop pop. Got MRI results today and was gutted, I thought maybe partial tear but no. Full ACL and popliteus tendon tears and partial on MCL and meniscus with extensive bone bruising as a coup de grace.

What kind of things do I need to be doing to get ready for surgery. Ortho said PT to get ROM before surgery, what can I expect to be doing?
    Bummer man! ACLs suck.

Your injury sounds like it has more complications than mine, but...

You don't need an ACL to ski - my mom's been doing it for decades. I just kept skiing after a week or two of downtime. Skied mellow till May (torn in Feb), then had surgery. Kept my muscles strong and made recovery pretty quick - skiing at 5 months, cliffs at 6. But considering you tore yours already skiing mellow... that probably sounds way too scary for you? Heal up!

Getting surgeryfied on the 24th. Away we go.

Getting surgeryfied on the 24th. Away we go.
    Good luck! Netflix and chill for the first couple of days. Kinda fun change of pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Bummer man! ACLs suck.

Your injury sounds like it has more complications than mine, but...

You don't need an ACL to ski - my mom's been doing it for decades. I just kept skiing after a week or two of downtime. Skied mellow till May (torn in Feb), then had surgery. Kept my muscles strong and made recovery pretty quick - skiing at 5 months, cliffs at 6. But considering you tore yours already skiing mellow... that probably sounds way too scary for you? Heal up!
    From what I gather this really depends on the person and their particular physiology. I waited a month for my surgery and no way in hell I could ski nor did I feel any progress in stability of my knee. Just way too unstable. My knee buckled again just getting off of a bus. Other people like my good friend Crazy Terry skied for a decade with a brace and no acl because he had no insurance and presumably knees that tolerated it. His girlfriend could hardly walk with no ACL.

Now I have to choose what kind of graft. Sawbones prefers strongly hamstring tendon.

I’m in too much pain to ski now. I just want to get this shit fixed and get on with my life. I’ve never had a major injury like this and I feel trapped. The sooner I can get back to the mountain/dojo/gym the fucking better. Losing my shit. Plus side my guitar playing is taking positive strides and new songs are being written.
    Both me and my son waited 2 months for surgery to heal up first. But you have more damage than we did. Vibes, heal up well

Now I have to choose what kind of graft. Sawbones prefers strongly hamstring tendon.
    My orthopedic specializes in knees and shoulder's. He recommend hamstring. 8 months post and I was cleared to ski, feeling great and getting stronger

My doc said not to get a cadaver allograft, they have the worst track record by far. He gave me a choice between patellar tendon BTB (using the middle third of your patellar tendon with bone bits from the femur and tibia attached) or hamstring, saying the strength of the tendon is about equal but the connection points with the patellar are stronger since the bone grows back and the tendon is never detached). Both have some residual pain/weakness from harvesting the tendon, he said if I made my living as a carpet layer or surfer to do the hamstring so you can kneel without discomfort, but leaned toward the patellar autograft for me, and I went with it.

New Gimp

I’m pretty sure I’m going to do the hamstring graft. I don’t kneel a lot but I do occasionally, and with jiujitsu there’s times for sure when you’re on a knee. Also it seems like there’s higher chances of chronic anterior knee pain after patella tendon graft.

Hammy is a good choice. My hammy grafts lasted 12 on the L and 30 yrs on the R. Patella graft does leave some residual numbness in the harvest site, but also good and strong. 9mos since last ACL repair w/patella graft, 35ish days this year, still self imposed taking it slow but all soft is all good.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Do the autograft, Jed. CBD Cream should arrive today. Slather it on pre and post op.

Autograft has higher failure rate (maybe 15-20%?) but does have the advantages of quicker recovery time and no resulting hamstring weakness--both significant factors IMO. And if it fails you could always go hammy later.

I went hammy and sometimes wonder if I should have gone with the cadaver. Although all things considered, other than compromised hamstring, I am happy with the results and am able to do everything I want. I could probably gain more strength back if I worked at it harder in the gym, but you can never get 100% of the hamstring strength back.

It's just a tough choice with no perfect option. Why can't they come up with a bombproof synthetic ACL?

With 3 ligaments getting repaired for me, I didn't have a choice auto or allo... too much material to harvest from me so I'm all full of dead person.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Next week will be 10 months since my Quad tendon graft surgery.

All is well so far. Still in the B+ zone but getting better, stronger and more confident in stability.
    About 60 days on snow. Def taking it easier this season; slower starts, less first tracks and less daily vert. Looking to be back on my game next year so a long range plan for a legitimate return.

Goddamn does that suck. Apparently fentanyl doesn’t work on me.

What was wrong with the tune? I have the same ones, and I'm terrified to ski them after reading this.

If I can offer you anything, it's another nod to getting an exercise bike during your rehab. It will make a huge difference, and you'll be glad you did the rest of your active life.

I’m not sure. I think maybe they didn’t do a base bevel. They were just crazy hooky. I didn’t bother tuning them because out of plastic dynastars have always been $$$ for me.

Recovery is a bitch. I’m in way more pain than I had anticipated.

It sucks for the first week. I didn't tolerate the good pain pills at all either so I just had to stick with Ibuprofen. Improvement is rapid after the first few days. First PT appointment is hugely uplifting as well. When is that?

I've said it before but walks were what got me through. So many walks.

Don't recall the entire thread... did you get a cryo cuff? If not, get one now.

I used it 24 hours a day for about 3 months after surgery.

Works better than drugs... no joke.

Edit: for reference, my brother got surgery on his shoulder and couldn't keep opioids down, and I recomend the same thing.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 02-26-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Popping oxy with a vicodin chaser 30 minutes later is the ticket to veg city. And get a jug to piss in.

New Gimp

Got the cryocuff it’s badass. I guess I’m overall surprised how much pain I’m in. Taking the oxys and still feeling it. I have to travel next week so my PT is going to be later than I would like to start. I got a bunch of exercises to do though that are helping. I unwrapped it first time today and it definitely feels better having breathed a bit. The jug to piss in is top priority. I’ve been up every 1.5-2 hours to piss and it fucking sucks.

Recovery is a bitch. I’m in way more pain than I had anticipated.
    i just had a more minor surgery. Once the anesthetics leave your system and you can take a normal shit you will feel much better. Good luck with the rehab you will be back to normal again.
    off your knees Louie