Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Googled...

Blaze is 36 / 17 / 28 in a 179
    Katana is 36 /18 / 32 in a 177 (corrected)
    M102 is 27 /20 / 25 in 184
    M102 is 26 /19 / 24 in 177

So I was wrong about the blaze being higher radius than the katana... almost the same. But I love how lazy I can get on the long radius portions of the k108 and blaze.

The under foot seems to be the same between the katana and mantra.

1 more edit: the radii on the blaze 94 are even larger... 38 / 17 /31 in a 179. 44m tip radius I the 186! Am I wrong that this is remarkably similar to the BMT 94 of lore?
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 01-21-2022 at 01:41 AM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Katana 108 - the resurrerection

Isn’t the 177 K108 18-m under foot? The 184 M102 is 20-m underfoot. Also, the delta between the large tip and tail radius and the underfoot radius is more noticeable on the Katana (at least to me) and the delta between those on the M102 is more subtle. It makes the skis feel different in how they set an edge, at least in the 184-cm length.

The 191 M102 has a 22-m radius underfoot. I really want to experience that before it is updated.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I got those specs off the current volkl website but I can't be certain they arurate for this year as well as last.

I agree that the discrepancy between high and low radius would likely create a different feel.

Sorry.... just checked and you're right the 177 k108 is 18m in the short radius.... my mistake. I will correct above.

1m isn't a lot and I suspect your right to suggest the biggest difference in the feeling of those skis is the delta between large and small radius.

Rocker profile may be a factor too (having not seen the m102 in person).

The blaze skis a little longer radius until you really lay it over but I suspect that's because of the slightly deeper rocker lines than the k108. It's not much but it's there...the blaze feels a little better running bases flat, probably due to a little less edge on the ground in comparison.

Been hanging around in a few ski shops and more than a few people have said the K108 turns/releases easier than an M102?

Still haven’t been on my new K108s. Deep pow has left Whistler. Been spending time on the M-Free 99 and Blade in the low tide.

Hmm, I would say that the M6, M102, and K108 all ski similarly in their 'respective conditions'.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Been hanging around in a few ski shops and more than a few people have said the K108 turns/releases easier than an M102?

Still haven’t been on my new K108s. Deep pow has left Whistler. Been spending time on the M-Free 99 and Blade in the low tide.
    I think the wider tip and smaller radius on the K108 make it easier/"more willing" to start a turn than the M102. I believe that the tail on the K108 is also a tad softer than the M102.

KC - you need to get out on those K108's. They will surprise you, even in low-tide conditions.

Almost twinsies…Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7182.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	402454

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

^^^ The M6 belongs in that picture! Actually I haven't skied it yet but will be trying it soon.

Shit re-frozen snow over most of Whistler. Some ok chalky sections. Nasty getting into stuff as there are weird frozen narrow ass impossible bumps in the entrances. The entrance to Whistler Bowl was so f’ed on Sat. Funny watching the tourists trying to get in.

Didn’t ski today cause of conditions.

What I find each ski day is that the group I ski with does not ski wide open bowls. Like maybe 1 run in a day. We hardly ski Harmony and never ski Symphony when at Whistler.

Sadly this means I left the K108s in the rocket box. Again. The M-Free 99 and Enforcer 104 (both great skis for tight, techy terrain) got the nod as they are both so user friendly where we ski in low-tide, bad conditions. And it’s a pain in the ass to change skis 1/2 way through day at Whistler.

Still trying to figure out when the f Im gonna use these?!

They do look purdy and badass though.

Legs getting into shape.

One day I’ll suck it up and rip these.

Or I’ll sell the shit out of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3966.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	402532

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3967.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	402533
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-23-2022 at 04:53 PM.

For fucks sake do it already. Your day will not suck on the K108's. Who knows, might even be better than the E104's. You'll never know till you know.

Ski those beauties KC, drop some mFree 99 beta on the dynastar thread when you get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    ^^^ The M6 belongs in that picture! Actually I haven't skied it yet but will be trying it soon.
    Yeah, I agree. The 191 K108’s were acquired from bry and now belong to my buddy. Yesterday was his first time out on them and he’s stoked. At Dinner we talked about him adding a 191 M6 to complement the K108. He was amazed how manageable and composed the Katanas were.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Ski those beauties KC
    This.

You've spent too much money on them and time appointing them not to give them at least 1 day.

I'd also suggest that when you try them you don't assume they are only good in open bowls... they are much more than that.

Keep an open mind and ski them like you'd ski any other ski and if you still don't like them then let them go... but give them a fair shake.

I've actually decided that I need to stop posting fan-boy stuff here for a while because it sounds like irrational infatuation. I think other than general encouragement, I'm going to try to not post any more fluff in here until I find something to complain about.

Other than 2 runs to compare these with my blaze, I haven't skied anything else yet this year and haven't wished for a different ski than I was on, so far.

The caveat to that is I haven't had a legitimate powder day yet this year... only some stashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I've actually decided that I need to stop posting fan-boy stuff here for a while because it sounds like irrational infatuation. I think other than general encouragement, I'm going to try to not post any more fluff in here until I find something to complain about.

Other than 2 runs to compare these with my blaze, I haven't skied anything else yet this year and haven't wished for a different ski than I was on, so far.

The caveat to that is I haven't had a legitimate powder day yet this year... only some stashes.
    I appreciate that you love these. You don’t ski out west, you aren’t some big bruiser, and you’re not skiing the biggest TGR-certified length. But you totally dig the skis. Nothing wrong with that. Provides a more diverse perspective.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my 6’ 2”, 220-lb buddy finally skied his 191’s. He told me he now understands why I gushed about the K108 all last season.
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 01-23-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I appreciate that you love these. You don’t ski out west, you aren’t some big bruiser, and you’re not skiing the biggest TGR-certified length. But you totally dig the skis. Nothing wrong with that. Provides a more diverse perspective.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my 6’ 2”, 220-lb buddy finally skied his 191’s. He told me he now understands why I gushed about the K108 all last season.
    Not at all offended but curious... what is "out west"?

I live in calgary alberta and ski Fernie, Castle, Lake Louise, Kickinghorse, Revy, etc... seems pretty west to me?

I will not argue for a second that I'm no bruiser... we are in agreement there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Not at all offended but curious... what is "out west"?

I live in calgary alberta and ski Fernie, Castle, Lake Louise, Kickinghorse, Revy, etc... seems pretty west to me?

I will not argue for a second that I'm no bruiser... we are in agreement there.
    I should have said "West Coast" meaning Whistler, Cascades, Sierras where denser snow persists and the K108 excels. A lot of skiers posting their fondness for the K108 seem to come from those locales. Canadian Rockies and those big resorts are certainly places where a ski like the K108 will be at home, too.

Lord Thomas - great point. I should just fucking ski it! Haha.

My mind is open. I will not look down at the rearward mount. Just ski it and don’t think.

TC - added some thoughts on the M-Free 99. Loving it in this low tide period we are experiencing at Whistler right now. It’s definitely pushing the E104 out of my mind.

ShortyJ - I’ll be out in Fernie just after Family Day weekend on our Powder Highway trip. It’s a great hill. Kicking Horse is awesome too. Keep posting on the K108.

KC.

This thread both inspired me to sign up, and to buy a set of 184 K108s. My first new set in 14yrs, which is how long I’ve been on the 2008 Gotama.

I just waxed mine and clicked my boot in to realize I'm actually at +0.5cm for the last couple of days out and not +1cm like I thought.

Still love them there and ski pretty neutral stance... I.e not driving the tips hard, but I am letting my shins rest on my boot tongues.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by GingerShanks View Post
    This thread both inspired me to sign up, and to buy a set of 184 K108s. My first new set in 14yrs, which is how long I’ve been on the 2008 Gotama.
    The Golden Buddha - what a great board. You will not be disappointed.
    Who cares how the crow flies

184s for CAN$650 with free shipping, to Canada only.
    https://www.sportinglife.ca/en-CA/eq...xoCxtUQAvD_BwE

question for the fanboys (: is anyone skiing these with a 50:50 boot, or are stiff alpine/plug boots preferable? I'm on Lange XT130s as my do everything boot, not sure they can handle a full on charger ski in bounds. love these boots with my Moment Wildcats and older Gotamas inbounds, for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    question for the fanboys (: is anyone skiing these with a 50:50 boot, or are stiff alpine/plug boots preferable? I'm on Lange XT130s as my do everything boot, not sure they can handle a full on charger ski in bounds. love these boots with my Moment Wildcats and older Gotamas inbounds, for reference.
    I haven't tested this but I've been thinking about it.

In addition to new skis, I changed boots this season to the mach1 130 LV (was previously on an older iteration of the cochise 120)... and I'm wondering if part of the reasons I love these so much is partly the boots.