Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    ^have you noticed the topsheets on the tails getting mega beat-up? My pair has 3 days on it and looks like i took a belt sander to the tails. I can only assume it's from sitting duck-footed on the lift, but still...oof.
    My 2021 K108’s do seem to be a little marked up on the tails. Not nearly as back as you described but more than some of my other skis. My 2020 M102’s have more days but don’t look as bad. I agree that the finish on the 2021 skis allows blemishes to look really bad.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

So, the shovels on Ian Mc’s K108’s look very different from stock. I get there are “Pro/Factory” models out there. Any guess what these are?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1620425648.206801.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	743.5 KB 
ID:	373816

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    So, the shovels on Ian Mc’s K108’s look very different from stock. I get there are “Pro/Factory” models out there. Any guess what these are?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1620425648.206801.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	743.5 KB 
ID:	373816
    almost looks like Confessions
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Anyone sitting on a pair of the "ladies" sized 177s they want to part with? Or let me borrow in the Canadian Rockies area?

I like the Blaze 106 so much I'm tempted to try out the big brother.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Shorty J, I’m sure there are some at Selkirk Ski and Bike in Golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Anyone sitting on a pair of the "ladies" sized 177s they want to part with? Or let me borrow in the Canadian Rockies area?

I like the Blaze 106 so much I'm tempted to try out the big brother.

Check with Troy at The Quest in Fernie. He was selling his Demo's at the end of the season and I'm pretty sure he had a pair of 177 left.

Katana 108 - the resurrerection

Also at Corbett's for $569.99CDN in a 177cm. I had the 177cm M102. Measured 179cm.

https://www.corbetts.com/2021-volkl-katana-108-skis/
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-14-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks for the leads... I will investigate further.

Called Selkirk in Golden and they want $660ish for new or or same for demos with warden 11 demo.

Have a call in to Troy at The Quest in Fernie and we'll see what he comes back with.

New at Corbetts might be the cheapest/best option but I'm not sure I'm that ready to try these at that price... I'm worried I won't be able to handle them anyway but I'm curious to try.

Last edited by Shorty_J; 05-17-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Corbett’s is always the best price IMO.

Haven’t skied the K108s but I’m sure this applies..... I skied the 2020 M102s for a month. Unbeatable.... on piste. So solid. Ripping down early morning groomers I was the fastest I have been in years. No speed limit. My buddies would just shake their heads, and say that I was gonna kill myself. The M102s ripped.

But....

That was just for two groomer runs in the am, and then the alpine would open. Whenever I spent a whole day on the M102s I found my self wanting my R11s or Enforcer 104s? Cause in sketchy entrances, or super tight, very steep areas, I found the M102 not pivoty enough at times. Cause the stiff, less-rockered tails wouldn’t release quick enough for me (now maybe that’s on me cause I went +0.5cm from the front Volkl line = +2.5cm from rec = too much tail?).

So ya the M102 can ski fast. But it needs you to be on, for most of the time. I’m a good skier, but sometimes I’m lazy, or shit scared cause the shit we ski can be steep and the entrances are definitely “no fall” zones. I always found the R11 and E104 to be stable enough, yet way quicker, less work and generally more enjoyable in gnarly situations than the M102s. I’m sure the K108s would be similar. But that being said, once in open terrain I totally see a use for the M102 or K108.

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-25-2021 at 09:27 PM.

^^^ your review of the M102 is one of the numerous reasons I'm worried I can't handle these. We are similar size too.... the jacket I bought from you fits perfect!

I know the rocker profiles are different between the k108 and blaze 106 but they share a lot of attributes. And I find the combination of the shape and/or rocker profile of the blaze to be so intuitive to me... i just want to see how the k108 feels.

For reference, I prefer the blaze at +2 and that is where I would probably start with the katana.

I've tried skis where I felt like I was getting hung up on the tail but I never felt that on the blaze even at +2. Could be the shape, or the flex, or the rocker profile... or any combination of.

My theory has always been to buy good skis at good prices....eg a K108 for $569cdn meets that criteria!

Ski it 5-10 days and if you don’t like it then sell it for a loss....say $400 Cdn ($300US) and you’ve lost $150-$200.....or ~$15-$20 per day which is cheaper than demoing.

And then you know for sure. It’s a cost of loving gear. And if you’re worried about the money, cut $200 out of your expenses somewhere else.

I’m probably dumb enough to buy some K108s one day. Haha

You make good points... and I appreciate your enabling even if my wife doesn't.

My only worry would be trying to resell these in the 177 length.... but you didn't seem to have issues selling your M102 I the same length so maybe my concerns are unwarranted.

You make good points... and I appreciate your enabling even if my wife doesn't.

My only worry would be trying to resell these in theb177 length.... but you didn't seem to have issues selling your M102 I the same length so maybe my concerns are unwarranted.
    The impression on tgr is that only big skis sell. Probably true to some extent. But I’ve sold lots of 179-182cms on here, eBay or Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. List on all places. If they’re good skis in demand I think they will sell.

If you’re willing to price right? I sold my M102s for $450CDN. I had previously paid $569CDN + 5% sales tax at Corbetts so was $597CDN all in. So I lost about $150CDN. But I knew that going in. Worst case is I would have gotten $400....and lost $200, or just kept them. YMMV

Do it!
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-17-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Stop making sense!

^^^ your review of the M102 is one of the numerous reasons I'm worried I can't handle these. We are similar size too.... the jacket I bought from you fits perfect!

I know the rocker profiles are different between the k108 and blaze 106 but they share a lot of attributes. And I find the combination of the shape and/or rocker profile of the blaze to be so intuitive to me... i just want to see how the k108 feels.

For reference, I prefer the blaze at +2 and that is where I would probably start with the katana.

I've tried skis where I felt like I was getting hung up on the tail but I never felt that on the blaze even at +2. Could be the shape, or the flex, or the rocker profile... or any combination of.

Look at the sidecut/radius between the 179 Blaze 106 and 177 Katana 108…they are very similar. The biggest difference you will notice is the overall weight and swing weight. I think the delta is about 400-grams per ski.

The Katana will most definitely feel like a lot more ski. I actually think that the Katana 108 is easier to ski than the M102. The only place where that is reversed is on firm groomers where the M102 sets an edge easier. Off-piste, the Katana is quite loose and floats far better than the rocker profile would suggest.

All that being said, the Katana 108 is a strong, stable ski. It isn’t agile or playful. It is powerful and composed and that is the skier style that it rewards.

Look at the sidecut/radius between the 179 Blaze 106 and 177 Katana 108…they are very similar. The biggest difference you will notice is the overall weight and swing weight. I think the delta is about 400-grams per ski.

The Katana will most definitely feel like a lot more ski. I actually think that the Katana 108 is easier to ski than the M102. The only place where that is reversed is on firm groomers where the M102 sets an edge easier. Off-piste, the Katana is quite loose and floats far better than the rocker profile would suggest.

All that being said, the Katana 108 is a strong, stable ski. It isn’t agile or playful. It is powerful and composed and that is the skier style that it rewards.
    I have been following your posts on this ski and expect exactly what you are describing.

I think I may notice the difference in rocker profile vs the blaze... seems to be a lower rocker.

More swing weight I can totally handle... I have some pretty heavy skis in the quiver live 184 salomon rocker 2 122.

I also know you're an advocate of this ski on the line and being driven, but the similar shape of the blaze and the fact that I ski the blaze quite neutral at +2 makes me think I would mount about the same on the k108 and keep the neutral stance and see how they feel.

I have been following your posts on this ski and expect exactly what you are describing.

I think I may notice the difference in rocker profile vs the blaze... seems to be a lower rocker.

More swing weight I can totally handle... I have some pretty heavy skis in the quiver live 184 salomon rocker 2 122.

I also know you're an advocate of this ski on the line and being driven, but the similar shape of the blaze and the fact that I ski the blaze quite neutral at +2 makes me think I would mount about the same on the k108 and keep the neutral stance and see how they feel.

Sounds like you know what you are after with a ski like the Katana. I owned a 184 Salomon Rocker2 122 and I think the 184 Katana 108 is easier to handle, for what it is worth.

If you like the Blaze at +2, I can see you doing the same on the Katana and being fine. The Katana has a pretty large sweet spot for a ski this powerful and damp.

I have a smallish BSL (295-mm) but am 200-lbs so I don’t typically go in front of the line. I typically like a longer shovel and hate too much length in the tail.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Got some late season action on these in 184. Mounted at mid mark +1. I really liked the ski right away but wanted to get more days before commenting. Most of Bandit man’s input here is what I experienced so no need to go on about it more. The 3D side cut is slick; once your feel & pressure is dialed (after about 20k vert for me. Skied pow to refrozen cord and then corn. Very capable ski with a large sweet spot. Part of me thinks I’ll grab BGs when it’s truly fluffy but shallow or boot top- they haul and provide confidence.

Shorty_J,

Another option for you regarding mounting point, would be to find an old Marker Schizo binding. This would give you the ability to adjust your binding position up-to 3cm fore/aft. Giving you the ability to play with the mounting point, without re-drilling. I'm an advocate of mounting on line.... This way you could try the ski at manufactures recommended mounting point and if you don't like it, then just move the binding forward up-to 3 cm. Yes, it is heavy but the Katana is a heavy ski, so I don't think it will impact anything with regards to performance. The tough thing will be finding one...

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Got some late season action on these in 184. Mounted at mid mark +1. I really liked the ski right away but wanted to get more days before commenting. Most of Bandit man’s input here is what I experienced so no need to go on about it more. The 3D side cut is slick; once your feel & pressure is dialed (after about 20k vert for me. Skied pow to refrozen cord and then corn. Very capable ski with a large sweet spot. Part of me thinks I’ll grab BGs when it’s truly fluffy but shallow or boot top- they haul and provide confidence.
    I was wondering what your initial impressions were. We’ll have to get out next year and compare notes. I can bring my 191’s for you to try since they already have Warden Demos mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowCreekChad View Post
    Shorty_J,

Another option for you regarding mounting point, would be to find an old Marker Schizo binding. This would give you the ability to adjust your binding position up-to 3cm fore/aft. Giving you the ability to play with the mounting point, without re-drilling. I'm an advocate of mounting on line.... This way you could try the ski at manufactures recommended mounting point and if you don't like it, then just move the binding forward up-to 3 cm. Yes, it is heavy but the Katana is a heavy ski, so I don't think it will impact anything with regards to performance. The tough thing will be finding one...

Just my $0.02
    I did exactly that with the Blaze, and might just put those same bindings on the k108 (if I buy them) as the blaze is slated to become my touring ski anyway.

I was wondering what your initial impressions were. We’ll have to get out next year and compare notes. I can bring my 191’s for you to try since they already have Warden Demos mounted.
    You bet Bandit- would like to try em 🤙🏼

I did exactly that with the Blaze, and might just put those same bindings on the k108 (if I buy them) as the blaze is slated to become my touring ski anyway.

Shorty_J

I say pull the trigger... I'm sure you wont regret it... And let me know what you think once you have some time on snow. I'm sure it'll be next season but keep me posted.

Cheers

Sold an older pair of skis that got me half way there... so fuck it, I bought skis in July.