Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Ya the 191 K108 is probably the ski for me then.

I had 184, 191, and 198 K112s. The 198 was a beast, it was significantly stiffer and plankier than the 191, more like a Head Monster. I loved the 191 so much, had multiple pairs. The 184 was great in trees and moguls. Best skis ever.

Katana K108’s for $479 USD and they have 191’s in stock.

https://shop.sportsbasement.com/prod...35440212607048
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

M-Free 108 in 192 is the better OG Katana 191 IMO if you look for a real freeride ski.
    But that’s just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    M-Free 108 in 192 is the better OG Katana 191 IMO if you look for a real freeride ski.
    But that’s just my two cents.
    Interesting. I like the 192 MFree108, but feel like it requires more attention from the skier in crappy conditions. It’s stable and damp but not Katana damp. Maybe it’s the camber that makes it feel so different.

With my screwed up knee, I’m finding myself gravitate towards skis that filter out all the irregularities in snow. I think that is what I like so much about the current M102 or K108. Agreed that doesn’t make them better skis, but rather a better fit for me.

I do know that the 184 K108 is a great daily driver for me. Not sure I could say the same for the 182 MFree108. Interesting that you can get a fairly similar experience across all K108 lengths, but you have to go to the 192 to get the experience everyone is after with the MFree108.

But I own the 184 K108 and 192 MFree108 so my only choice is which one to put on my feet in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post

Why do you do this to me, especially on the day my Pivots from Corbetts show up?

So tempting, but the blended sidecut stuff has me terrified. I need to demo first. I know this is less radical than other sidecut trickery, but still.

Some of the harder charging and sometimes even "old fashioned" skiers, like JE at Blister, saying that the K108 feels a little hooky, or requires more focus in firm off-piste conditions, is the main reason I can't quite pull the trigger. I've had issues with asymmetrical sidecut for this same reason, and I really enjoy bashing firm off piste conditions for some odd reason. I don't want to feel any of that nonsense at speed in oh shit conditions.

Interesting. I like the 192 MFree108, but feel like it requires more attention from the skier in crappy conditions. It’s stable and damp but not Katana damp. Maybe it’s the camber that makes it feel so different.

With my screwed up knee, I’m finding myself gravitate towards skis that filter out all the irregularities in snow. I think that is what I like so much about the current M102 or K108. Agreed that doesn’t make them better skis, but rather a better fit for me.

I do know that the 184 K108 is a great daily driver for me. Not sure I could say the same for the 182 MFree108. Interesting that you can get a fairly similar experience across all K108 lengths, but you have to go to the 192 to get the experience everyone is after with the MFree108.

But I own the 184 K108 and 192 MFree108 so my only choice is which one to put on my feet in the morning.
    I own all three as well, M102 and K108 both in 184, and MF108 in 192. I spent years skiing the OG Katana in 191 before. After few turns I felt immediately at home on the MF108. With K108 not so much. It might be the missing length, though, but I was not 100% confident on it. It has better suspension, is damper and carves better than MF108 but not by very much. However, the mix of pivotability, backbone and straight line prowess wins for me in MF108. The more centered mount point makes it feel much much better in the air than the old and new Katana.
    I‘d say MF108 skis much closer to R11 than K108 and this is what I was looking after, a narrower and in variable conditions more capable version of my R11 192.
    Not to forget, MF108 looks way cooler with a Pivot than the Völkls with their lame top sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    Some of the harder charging and sometimes even "old fashioned" skiers, like JE at Blister
    I think my tongue is bleeding from biting it so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I think my tongue is bleeding from biting it so hard.
    Yeah, I was going to respond to that, but decided not to waste my time. If Blister says the new Katana is hooky, it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I own all three as well, M102 and K108 both in 184, and MF108 in 192. I spent years skiing the OG Katana in 191 before. After few turns I felt immediately at home on the MF108. With K108 not so much. It might be the missing length, though, but I was not 100% confident on it. It has better suspension, is damper and carves better than MF108 but not by very much. However, the mix of pivotability, backbone and straight line prowess wins for me in MF108. The more centered mount point makes it feel much much better in the air than the old and new Katana.
    I‘d say MF108 skis much closer to R11 than K108 and this is what I was looking after, a narrower and in variable conditions more capable version of my R11 192.
    Not to forget, MF108 looks way cooler with a Pivot than the Völkls with their lame top sheet.
    I think we actually agree for the most part on those skis. Seems I prefer the feel of the K108 and you prefer the MFree108. I’ll admit that I still feel like the camber and energy of the MFree108 get the better of me when I get tired.

I do agree that the MF108 looks cooler with or without Pivots. The Katana topsheets are kinda lame. I like the blacked out version for 2022 better.

I think we actually agree for the most part on those skis. Seems I prefer the feel of the K108 and you prefer the MFree108. I’ll admit that I still feel like the camber and energy of the MFree108 get the better of me when I get tired.

I do agree that the MF108 looks cooler with or without Pivots. The Katana topsheets are kinda lame. I like the blacked out version for 2022 better.
    You could just stand up on the m free 108 and pivot and slarve when you get tired. It’s really like two different skis depending on your stance and how you drive it. It’s quite remarkable

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well, JE may have felt the K108's were a little hooky. I can say that both times that I was on the 184's and 191's for multiple runs I didn't feel the slightest hint of hookiness, just smooth precise turns of whatever shape I asked. Also thought the 192 MF108 was a super cool ski but different than the K108. I would say that if you like the old Katanas, and Volkl's in general, then you would like the K108 even though it's more forgiving than some of their past offerings....though still super capable of killing shit. Also, don't be afraid of 191's.

It has less to do with JE, and more to do with a few mags on here that posted in this thread. I just read the whole thing and it is definitely mostly praise from other great skiers, but the people I notice who have a problem with it, I think I line up with them in some ways. I am usually the type to notice that type of stuff too. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'm a big fan of demoing first now since I'm broke.

I meant JE as more "old fashioned" because I didn't know how to categorize him as a skier. I don't think he's in the super hard charger category, but I'm sure he can ski. Also, I'm not saying this K108 isn't a stable enough ski, not at all. Just that sidecut trickery can mess with me at speed and I have to demo this.

Ow..That hurts! You had to mention 191's in stock.

At $431 shipped to my door, I had to give a pair of the 184 K108's a try. I probably won't ski them this winter, but I think they'll be a great powder day ski for where I ski. They should compliment my Stance 102's well until those earn rock ski status, then I'll probably get something in the 95-100mm underfoot range to replace them, and go with that and the K108 as a two ski lift-served lineup.

191s incoming...

How are folks tuning these? Any major changes from the factory tune w/r/t bevels, just a quick detune of the tapered sections, something in between?

Katana 108 - the resurrerection

How are folks tuning these? Any major changes from the factory tune w/r/t bevels, just a quick detune of the tapered sections, something in between?
    I think what some are describing as being hooky is just too sharp edges. I tuned the front and back rocker with 4-5 aggressive strokes of my hard gummy stone and the rest with my soft gummy stone. Still able to get a bit of fingernail off with the edge in the cambered part of the ski.. Did the same on my wife’s pair, but then did a bit more detune on the hill for her. She’s on the 170s. Wasn’t interested in skiing her OG Cochises or her R11s for comparison because she clicked so well with them.

Last edited by swissbro; 04-06-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Clarity

Moderate gummy to rocker sections to about an inch inside the contact points. Those areas of the ski don’t really engage when on firm snow, plus that is where the sidecut opens up. Never felt hooky and have had them in some deep and heavy PNW snow.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. The last Volkls I've skied were the turquoise and purple Explosivs (I forget if they were the 2's or the 3's).

Really looking forward to getting the K108's up into Highlands Bowl next year. Seems like a great ski for that terrain.

I can attest to the K108 NOT being hooky in the slightest at excessive speed on boilerplate. That was probably the fastest I've gone in 5 years and, frankly, was shocked at how smooth and precise they were.....and not just compared to other 105-110 skis. Almost like a WC GS ski in that instance. Shocking I say!

Yeah they're not hooky for me at all, and I found the 3D sidecut easy to grasp over the first cupla days on them. It feels very intuitive.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

191s are beefy, weighing in at 2458g and 2411g for the pair. Length is just a hair less than my Mindbender 193s.

Overall the camber and early rise in the tips looks pretty good, for what that's worth. Hopefully durability is much better than the K2s.

Sports Basement cancelled my order for 184's.

Katana 108 - the resurrerection

Sports Basement cancelled my order for 184's.
    That’s good, just get some 192 m Free 108s now. $419 with free shipping last time I checked