Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Skied my 184 K108’s at Park City today. Started the day over on the Canyons side looking for stashes on Ninety-Nine 90 and other areas with trees and steeps. Lots of day old pow (12”+) and soft crud...the Katanas were perfect. Floated when I needed it, pushed through the crud with ease, and never, ever felt hooky. They were very manageable in tight trees and decent in the bumps...not amazing, but not punishing.

We spent the afternoon ripping groomers on the Park City side. I love how they lock up with the 19-m sidecut, but never feel hooky or locked in to a specific turn shape due to the 3D sidecut. I ended the day back in Canyons marching down some not so pristine groomers. The Katanas smooth out everything and provide so much suspension without exacting a heavy toll on me.

I skied the previous day at Snowbasin (it was deep and oh so good) and my lower back and gimpy knee were stressed. I skied bell to bell today on the Katanas and didn’t ever think of my knee or sore back...they just sucked up all the crap...provided smooth dampness, and made me feel like a lot younger.

I love these skis.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Sounds about right....on any Katana...old or new108.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Sounds about right....on any Katana...old or new108.
    Yeah...they old Katanas were special. But they haven’t been made since 2014. Nice that there is an updated version that is a bit more resort friendly.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Yeah...they old Katanas were special. But they haven’t been made since 2014. Nice that there is an updated version that is a bit more resort friendly.
    I hear ya Bandit.....I had em’ in my MDV cart forever....but never placed order...lol. I do enjoy reading the reviews of the K108 and M102....living vicariously through the positive comments.

I got bit by the Moment C98 bug this year....and haven’t even ski’d my Volkls at all this winter....

In addition to my question regarding a Confession comparison a few posts back, Bandit, it sounds like you prefer the Katana 108 to the Rustler 11 as well? The R11 is also on my short list (I pretty much only ski Whistler) but I'm leaning towards the 184 Katana to replace my 186 Confession...
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    In addition to my question regarding a Confession comparison a few posts back, Bandit, it sounds like you prefer the Katana 108 to the Rustler 11 as well? The R11 is also on my short list (I pretty much only ski Whistler) but I'm leaning towards the 184 Katana to replace my 186 Confession...
    So, I’ve never skied a Confession. I do really like the Rustler 11...I think it is close to a perfect Whistler Pow day ski. The M102 and Rustler 11 would be my 1-2 punch that covers all the bases for a place like Whistler.

But the K108 could be a 1-ski quiver for a place like Whistler. I’d still be tempted to pair it with something like a Rustler 11 or Enforcer 115 Pro/Free for really deep days.

I guess I’m fickle. I’m a fan of the Rustler 11, but the K108 has really “stolen my heart” this year.

So, I’ve never skied a Confession. I do really like the Rustler 11...I think it is close to a perfect Whistler Pow day ski. The M102 and Rustler 11 would be my 1-2 punch that covers all the bases for a place like Whistler.

But the K108 could be a 1-ski quiver for a place like Whistler. I’d still be tempted to pair it with something like a Rustler 11 or Enforcer 115 Pro/Free for really deep days.

I guess I’m fickle. I’m a fan of the Rustler 11, but the K108 has really “stolen my heart” this year.
    Thx for the insight! My 2 ski quiver is the M5 Mantra and Confession so sounds like I should try to test both the Katana and R11, but an M5/R11 2 ski quiver might be good too...

I only took a couple of runs on a first gen Confession so take this opinion for what you payed for it. Confession struck me as a fat, bottom feeding GS type ski that preferred to lock into a turn and blow shit up. Didn't ski it in pow but suspect that it was near the bottom end of the spectrum for float in that size class based on the flex pattern and rocker profile. K108 will still lock into a turn and blow shit up but it will excel at just about anything else you might want/need to do...and I'll bet if would float better than expected, probably at least as well as a Confession. Also not quite as intense as the Confession unless you ask it to, then it will be more than happy to accommodate. ................................That just got me to thinking...............what about a Katana 117 and call it a "M3? Confession"!!!! That could truly kick ass as a BIG mountain killing machine while still being fun in the shrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I only took a couple of runs on a first gen Confession so take this opinion for what you payed for it. Confession struck me as a fat, bottom feeding GS type ski that preferred to lock into a turn and blow shit up. Didn't ski it in pow but suspect that it was near the bottom end of the spectrum for float in that size class based on the flex pattern and rocker profile. K108 will still lock into a turn and blow shit up but it will excel at just about anything else you might want/need to do...and I'll bet if would float better than expected, probably at least as well as a Confession. Also not quite as intense as the Confession unless you ask it to, then it will be more than happy to accommodate. ................................That just got me to thinking...............what about a Katana 117 and call it a "M3? Confession"!!!! That could truly kick ass as a BIG mountain killing machine while still being fun in the shrubs.
    Thx for the feedback! Yeah I was hoping for 2022 Volkl would have a Confession replacement in the 115 waist range, but alas we still have to decide between the Katana 108 and Revolt 121....

Okay I gotta ask - what's the comparison of a Katana green dragon with the Confession? (sadly never skied one). I definitely miss my Dragons in deep snow, and agree with Bandit that there was just something special about those Katanas. So close back to ~200cm ... haha

So I recently got a few laps on a pair of the M6's and they will make up my two pair quiver with the K108's. Same as the M102 & K108 but it feels/skis narrower than the 96mm it is.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Katana vs Rustler

Hello,has anyone skied both the184 katana and the192 rustler 11 and would like to compare them? I read here that the 192 rustler is a bit different than the rest of the range and that they all got a bit heavier. Does it get close to the katana regarding power on the edge and stability. I am looking for something to complement my volkl kendo 88 for soft snow days and deep variable snow
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
    Hello,has anyone skied both the184 katana and the192 rustler 11 and would like to compare them? I read here that the 192 rustler is a bit different than the rest of the range and that they all got a bit heavier. Does it get close to the katana regarding power on the edge and stability. I am looking for something to complement my volkl kendo 88 for soft snow days and deep variable snow
    Thanks
    Bandit has hit on a bunch in the last 30 posts. Read above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    These showed up today. They look real nice next to the Q Labs.....

These are all lined up by recommended boot center.... interesting that they all have pretty much the same amount of tip, probably within 1cm, 184cm to 193cm.

Attachment 363828
    Corvus fan. Curious how you’re enjoying Katana? Comparison- do I need it?

Katana 108 - the resurrerection

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Corvus fan. Curious how you’re enjoying Katana? Comparison- do I need it?
    Just seeing this, sorry. Got sidetracked by travel plans to VT.

I’ve only skied the katana once so far. For me, the Corvus felt like the sweet spot was under my heel and it didn’t respond great to being driven, and it also felt a little long (which, even at 5’9” and 155, was a first for me); not in a demanding way, just in a way that required more input and/or got hung up unpredictably but without the reward of stability or power.

My experience with the Corvus actually led directly to me getting the Katana in a 184 instead of a 191, which I might regret now. The katana is great, though. I don’t need the longer length, but I think I’d prefer the feel of it. The 184 is definitely a lot easier to toss around than I’m used to. Nice and stable on edge (I wasn’t blown away by the grip, though it was pretty good) and confident and predictable through terrible refrozen crud, even if it didn’t make those conditions “fun.” Compared to the Corvus, the Katana could be driven more and responds well if you get out over the tips, while still skiing nicely (as the Corvus did) if you stay centered and drive the area directly underfoot. The shovels hook up nicely if you want them to, which is something I was missing with the Corvus, but they still seem to behave. Both skis felt similarly “loose” to me, and about equivalently substantial after accounting for the length difference. Neither felt as substantial or as smooth to me as the Q Lab, which is a disappointment. Perhaps the 191 would be a more apt comparison, though.

I still think I’d like to try the Fischer Ranger 107 and see if it has more of that Q Lab magic.
    focus.

I’ve only skied the katana once so far. For me, the Corvus felt like the sweet spot was under my heel and it didn’t respond great to being driven, and it also felt a little long (which, even at 5’9” and 155, was a first for me); not in a demanding way, just in a way that required more input and/or got hung up unpredictably but without the reward of stability or power.

My experience with the Corvus actually led directly to me getting the Katana in a 184 instead of a 191, which I might regret now. The katana is great, though. I don’t need the longer length, but I think I’d prefer the feel of it. The 184 is definitely a lot easier to toss around than I’m used to. Nice and stable on edge (I wasn’t blown away by the grip, though it was pretty good) and confident and predictable through terrible refrozen crud, even if it didn’t make those conditions “fun.” Compared to the Corvus, the Katana could be driven more and responds well if you get out over the tips, while still skiing nicely (as the Corvus did) if you stay centered and drive the area directly underfoot. The shovels hook up nicely if you want them to, which is something I was missing with the Corvus, but they still seem to behave. Both skis felt similarly “loose” to me, and about equivalently substantial after accounting for the length difference. Neither felt as substantial or as smooth to me as the Q Lab, which is a disappointment. Perhaps the 191 would be a more apt comparison, though.

I still think I’d like to try the Fischer Ranger 107 and see if it has more of that Q Lab magic.
    Let me know if you decide you want to move on from the 184’s! You know you want those 191’s!

Thanks for the comparison. It’s a ski I’m trying to find a ride on. The Corvus 188 fits my size very well so your comments have me rethinking my plan to size down on K108 while gaining mass. Owned a Corvus 193 for awhile but that one for me mimics your experience. Hmm

Good luck with the Q-Lab replacement quest! I’m not sure we will ever see another ski like that. I mean, did they actually sell any other than on Pro Form?

The tail on the 190 was special...so powerful. Feels like the market for skis like that was so small and might even be smaller now, especially with the recent weight-weenie trend.

I would like to try a 191 K108, though. Don’t need it, but would love to see what the longer length and larger radius skis like.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I just couldn’t resist. Loved the OG Katanas for many years but now is time to move on. M102 did this to me.
    Would give away the OG Katanas, both in 191, for free ( just shipping costs). One mounted with Griffons Demo, the other one drilled for Pivots. Still perfectly skiable. Shipped from Europe, so probably not really cheap for over the pond.
    BTW, what is the recommended mounting line on the K108, the middle one?

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post

I just couldn’t resist. Loved the OG Katanas for many years but now is time to move on. M102 did this to me.
    Would give away the OG Katanas, both in 191, for free ( just shipping costs). One mounted with Griffons Demo, the other one drilled for Pivots. Still perfectly skiable. Shipped from Europe, so probably not really cheap for over the pond.
    Just curious what length are the M102s and the K108s in the pic? The Mantra looks longer but not by much. Is that cause the K108 is moved forward?

Both are 184. The M102 is a little bit more upright in the picture.
    In direct comparison K108 looks indeed a wee bit shorter than M102, maybe around 2-3 mm, probably due to slightly more rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Thanks for the comparison. It’s a ski I’m trying to find a ride on. The Corvus 188 fits my size very well so your comments have me rethinking my plan to size down on K108 while gaining mass. Owned a Corvus 193 for awhile but that one for me mimics your experience. Hmm
    Regarding Corvus 188 comparison: I sold my Corvus 188 mounted with a Shift. Will use R11 188 for 50/50 duties instead. Was always disappointed with powder performance of the Corvus. Was kinda worse than M102 und much inferior to R11. As a pure resort ski I personally prefer M102 by far. Really curious to see how it turns out with M102 versus K108 as my non-powder days DD.

Nice! The green pivots are sexy on those M102.

The reco mount line is the furthest back. The other two are +1 and +2.

Allegedly.

I ended up at +1 because my thought process took me to the same place it apparently took you. They’re fine there.
    focus.

I'm on the furthest back of the three lines on both m102 and k108 maybe even a smidge behind on the katanas, without regrets

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

roQer let me know what you think about the 184 length compared to your previous older 191 Katanas once you ski it. I'm really on the fence between a 184 and 191 (I'm 6ft 165 lbs and like directional pow chargers) and love my 186 Confessions. 184 is probably my length, but if the Katana 108 is a bit easier to ski than the Confession, a 191 might be in order!

I've been on both the 186 Confession, several years ago, and K108 in a 191. I'd say the K108 is easier, more versatile BY FAR, and probably just as capable. K108 is by no means a man eater. At 5'11" and 220lb I would choose the 191 but was still plenty comfortable on the 184. Like me, that ski is a winner.

Regarding Corvus 188 comparison: I sold my Corvus 188 mounted with a Shift. Will use R11 188 for 50/50 duties instead. Was always disappointed with powder performance of the Corvus. Was kinda worse than M102 und much inferior to R11. As a pure resort ski I personally prefer M102 by far. Really curious to see how it turns out with M102 versus K108 as my non-powder days DD.
    Right on. I welcome any additional input. For me Corvus was a hit when there was a few inches of chopped snow. Very intuitive. I also think the shape helps my arthritic knee. Agree the pow performance is not their high mark. Specifically remember a hero run in Switzerland where I was in full glory bouncing in pow - then wham without much explanation I tripped up hard. That has stuck with me. Only want to pull the trigger if it’s quiver killer for a PNW guy.
    Bandit ?