Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Katana 108 - the resurrerection

Gaijin - glad you are making some money and are more liquid. I think it’s going to be a rough summer for stocks, then real estate. The good times of easy monetary policy are over for a while.

I’m looking at the 2022 K108 or MB108Ti. I’ve got all summer to decide.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 06-11-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I want to hear the full head to head compro of those two boards.
    On it! Should be fun (the skiing, not my subjective rambling). Not sure if he had a chance to A/B em, or if he’s in here during our Summer, but I believe Bry (and perhaps a few others?), may have time on both; I will report back once the snow flies up here in Canadia!

Anyone have an interest in a pair of 177s? Really good condition, skied them probably 10 times last year. Mounted with wardens at 305, could sell flat or with bindings.

Doing some summer quiver pondering, and while I really enjoy the k108s, might try something with a slightly more progressive mount point for next season in this width. Wouldn't hate keeping them but want to see if there is any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Sylvan,

I want to hear the full head to head compro of those two boards. They are at the top of my to get list in this category.
    I love the squads. They and the LP105s are two pair of skis I have backups for. I love the 191 K108 my only complaint was on me... in retrospect knowing what I know now I would have tried them forward two or three cm fwd, mix it up and complement those other two skis and the M102s too at the time.

K108s felt to me to be from the future, the whole line is dialed. But I've been enjoying a few skis now around -8. Tester looks to have his way forward I wonder if that helps stay ahead of where the sidecut tightens up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bry; 10-09-2022 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    I love the squads. They and the LP105s are two pair of skis I have backups for. I love the 191 K108 my only complaint was on me... in retrospect knowing what I know now I would have tried them forward two or three cm fwd, mix it up and complement those other two skis and the M102s too at the time.

K108s felt to me to be from the future, the whole line is dialed. But I've been enjoying a few skis now around -8. Tester looks to have his way forward I wonder if that helps stay ahead of where the sidecut tightens up.

Where did you mount the katana to start?

I'm only on the 177 but I've skied them from +0.5 to +1.5 and prefer +1.

I know this is sacrelidge with volkl but that feels best to me.

On the blaze 106 I liked +2cm.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

You guys prefer this Volkl line forward of the line?

I’m remounting my M102s and might have to compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

I do... Not sure of others. I use demo bindings and try different mounts regularly.

Of course my binding and boot choice will affect that... Possibly differently than you.

What's your BSL?

Short. 296. (25)
    I’ve read people mounting various Volkl +1. Seems like if you have choose, forward is more preferred to backward.

Short. 296. (25)
    I’ve read people mounting various Volkl +1. Seems like if you have choose, forward is more preferred to backward.

I'm 295 and ended at +1 on the katana.

±0.5 and I needed more forward pressure to turn. +1.5 and they feel a little less damp from a more neutral stance with less shin pressure. Both still manageable.

Im splitting hairs here but I've played with it a lot and keep coming back to +1cm for me.

I should add that I'm in Mach1 130 LV and low ramp angle Tyrolia Attack2 bindings... For what that is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Where did you mount the katana to start?

I'm only on the 177 but I've skied them from +0.5 to +1.5 and prefer +1.

I know this is sacrelidge with volkl but that feels best to me.

On the blaze 106 I liked +2cm.

Mounted them on the line, nothing wrong with them there. Just looks like they may have a big sweet spot and thought if I went forward they'd come alive a bit. Sylvans at +1 on his 191s too I believe.

Mounted them on the line, nothing wrong with them there. Just looks like they may have a big sweet spot and thought if I went forward they'd come alive a bit. Sylvans at +1 on his 191s too I believe.
    Yeah they do have a big sweet spot. +1 or 2 sounds ok but I'd be skeptical about ±3.

Haven't skied the katana but did my m102 at +1 after playing around with a demo pair. Personal preference obviously but I'm finding I like most volkls I have skied just a little forward.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I love forward mount discussions on the Katana thread. Where were you guys a year ago!

At +1cm you’re still at -10cm on a K108 or M102. I know these skis can both rip wide open spaces. But if you ski really tight and steep and technical terrain and want a forward mount (for more maneuverability) then don’t buy a Katana or M102 IMO.

My M102 was a great ski on early morning groomers. Just clunky when we went off piste into the tight stuff when compared to my E104 (-6.5cm).

Yeah, too funny right? I agree with you.

Short. 296. (25)
    I mounted my M102's on the line. If I could do it all over again, I would mount them +1. If +2 was the only option, I'd do it and not look back.

I would never mount the M102's behind the recommended line.

Sylvans at +1 on his 191s too I believe.
    Indeed! Agree with everyone else here. My 191 M102s were on the line, and in hindsight I think they would have been better for me (little more maneuverable off piste/lower swing weight) bumped forward, but they're no longer mine. K108s at +1 and very happy there. Also +2 (or more?) curious, cause, the unknown, but not to the point of drilling more holes in this pair.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 10-12-2022 at 11:50 AM.

Based on my personal experience on the 184 M102 and K108 both mounted on the line, I assumed that the 191 would ski the same way. To me the 191 K108 skis bigger and feels heavier than the 184 on the line. I have demos on these and need to try going forward. For the 191 M102’s (I got them from VON), the shovel feels really long and I struggle to feel like I’m on top of the skis. Again, have demos on them and need to try going forward of the line. Based on my limited experience, the 191 K108 feels heavier but the 191 M102 feels like more ski.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Based on my personal experience on the 184 M102 and K108 both mounted on the line, I assumed that the 191 would ski the same way. To me the 191 K108 skis bigger and feels heavier than the 184 on the line. I have demos on these and need to try going forward. For the 191 M102’s (I got them from VON), the shovel feels really long and I struggle to feel like I’m on top of the skis. Again, have demos on them and need to try going forward of the line. Based on my limited experience, the 191 K108 feels heavier but the 191 M102 feels like more ski.
    Really curious how you find the 191 M102 at +1 and +2.

After selling you my M102's, I bought a pair of 188 Commander 98's to try something a bit lighter and nimbler.
    The C98 is a fun ski, but I do miss the comparatively more plush and damp feel of the M102's.

That being said, I expect my next "narrow ski" will likely be in the 100-108 range and have more rocker than both the M102 and C98. I've found that I can carve pretty much any ski as hard as I want to, and given that I don't spend much time on groomers anyway, I'd rather have a smooth, plush, and slightly looser ski for low-tide off-piste mank... something that can still be pushed hard but isn't too heavy (aka not over 2300g's). To my knowledge, the ski I yearn for doesn't exist. Except for maybe the MF108.

I love geeking over mount points. Mounted my 191 M102's at +1.5 from the back line. My justification was after comparing to old blue/orange cochise 193 that I have. These two skis are very comparable in stand up length. The cochise rec line was closer to the +1 on the M2. When I skied the cochise I liked +1 from rec. Basically split the difference and went +1.5 from back line of the M2. Awesome skis as I'm sure K108 are as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Based on my limited experience, the 191 K108 feels heavier but the 191 M102 feels like more ski.
    This is an apt description IME (M102s on the line, K108s plus 1). And agree with VON, if you do get a chance to try both your 191s forward, I would also be interested in the results. My love affair with B97s is well documented, but science.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 11-10-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Really curious how you find the 191 M102 at +1 and +2.

After selling you my M102's, I bought a pair of 188 Commander 98's to try something a bit lighter and nimbler.
    The C98 is a fun ski, but I do miss the comparatively more plush and damp feel of the M102's.

That being said, I expect my next "narrow ski" will likely be in the 100-108 range and have more rocker than both the M102 and C98. I've found that I can carve pretty much any ski as hard as I want to, and given that I don't spend much time on groomers anyway, I'd rather have a smooth, plush, and slightly looser ski for low-tide off-piste mank... something that can still be pushed hard but isn't too heavy (aka not over 2300g's). To my knowledge, the ski I yearn for doesn't exist. Except for maybe the MF108.
    You might want to try Season Eqpt Nexus. long effective edge, no metal but pretty damp and quiet, twinned tip. Not sure how you feel about progressive mount. I tried and didn't click with the ski, but really digging 191 K108. At least my maiden voyage today went really well.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I personally thought the Corvus sucked. One of those skis that looks right. Flexed right. But didn’t ski right. I like progressive mounts and felt the mount was way off. Felt like a gs ski, just wanted to carve. Not what I’m looking for in a ski that wide. Haven’t skied a volkl since the gotama/explosive era. But these new katanas look cool
    I too felt the Corvus wasn’t a charger for me, especially skiing fast on steep terrain with less than stellar snow. The only place it outperformed my OG Cochises was on a groomer. Definitely in my opinion not in the same league as the M102 or K108.

Last edited by swissbro; 12-16-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Been channelling my inner Rob Boyd on soft, roughed up Catskinner and Jersey groomers all week, on 191s and 189 B97s. Think, tourists as moving gates. Rode the lift with a gentleman yesterday who said B97s are like 'riding the rails.' He's not wrong.
    The 191 K108s edge hold and suspension is so good too though. A little easier to safety slarve than B97s, with the expected reduction in edge hold in comparison, but on soft groom, lean em over and they'll rail over anything with ease. And in 2D, wax not required as you can live on your edges. As things trend refrozen, B97s stay smoother longer, but K108s arguably more versatile as they smash chop, charge pow, and can be pivoted underfoot better than a ski like this should. And for this class, they're not even that demanding due to the sidecut and rocker profile. Volkl got these right for my 1980s inspired preferences. New school chargers rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Been channelling my inner Rob Boyd
    Appreciated the rest of your post as well, but quoting your reference to a legend just in case anyone missed it. Back to skis that smash stuff....