Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I really want this ski. Nice to hear the praise is high round here. Just have to deal with severe 108mm quiver bloat (ON3P wren, mindbender, corvus) all of which I like. Or maybe I just replace my bonafides with Mantra 102s when the time comes. I love the bonafides on firm-ish days though. n+2

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    But you have Dynastar bias...
    if it helps, ive only skied the mfree108 and 1 other dynastar ski, both a day each

it’s a really good all around ski, in the truest sense

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    The 4 other mags who skied them don’t tho...

I’ve never been on a Dynastar ski in the past and this Mfree 108 is super special in how it really can do everything quite well!

192 skis super short. IIRC, there was a pic somewhere on here showing a 189BG and the 192 MF108 and the mount point/ length was nearly identical.
    I’m sure it’s a fine ski...it’s just not a new Katana. Since I have skied the Mantra M102 in typical PNW conditions, I suspect that it will be an even better version of what I am after. And if it isn’t, I’m sure one of you other gear whores will gladly take them off my hands.

Looking at the M102 on the rack, I was COMPLETELY wrong with my initial thoughts. It’s a much more versatile ski for how and where I ski.

The reports of “looseness” of the MFree 108 are interesting. Maybe I need to look for a pair to demo to see if I can be enlightened.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

There's a nice pair of 184 with single mount for shifts on KSL. No affiliation.
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/62560522

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Dang, that's a great deal. Just wish they were the bigger size. Some mag needs to rescue those.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Super solid deal--anyone have 177s in a similar condition, hit me up.

Katana 108 - the resurrerection

Look what finally arrived!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611082766.474701.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	358692

Going to throw some Warden 13 demos on them to make them even heavier...

I was so close to buying some of this years K108s....but found a smokin' deal on last years M102s.....but I know me and if I like the M102s, I am sure the K108s will appear in the quiver by next year.

Mount em and let us know banditman!

Look what finally arrived!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611082766.474701.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	358692

Going to throw some Warden 13 demos on them to make them even heavier...
    Interested to hear your thoughts. Especially compared to the Enforcer 110. The K108 might’ve exactly what I am looking for.

Have the Brahma’s coming on your recommendation! And some Enforcer 94’s. Cage match.

So I had the M102 and liked them so much I sold them (haha) to get the K108 which I suspected at the time were just as impressive albeit just a tad wider. The K108 and M102 seem to be such a close overlap that it didn't make sense to keep the M102.

But now Volkl has gone and done it again ... I'm getting hooked up with the new '21 M6, which now has the same 3D sidecut and construction but with a 96mm waist. Gap filled. yay
    Who cares how the crow flies

Snow will be less than ideal,but finally get these out tomorrow...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611363167.629253.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	359212

Snow will be less than ideal,but finally get these out tomorrow...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611363167.629253.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	359212
    Can’t wait for the review. You going for right on the line first?

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    So I had the M102 and liked them so much I sold them (haha) to get the K108 which I suspected at the time were just as impressive albeit just a tad wider. The K108 and M102 seem to be such a close overlap that it didn't make sense to keep the M102.

But now Volkl has gone and done it again ... I'm getting hooked up with the new '21 M6, which now has the same 3D sidecut and construction but with a 96mm waist. Gap filled. yay
    M6 sounds very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I went for M102s....but dang the K108 was tempting.

My new M102s will be delivered on Monday (thank you Corbetts).

Looking forward to this review too.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Yeah...on the line. Since I put demos on them, I can go forward if I feel the need. Conditions won’t be ideal, but at least I can get a first impression.

If you’re in less than ideal conditions, then don’t hate your first impression on ice with that noisy carbon tip.

That was my first impression of the M102. Edge hold was superb but the tip was noisy.

Anything non-ice and the sound goes away.

There is a reason Volkl expanded that 3D sidecut to so many skis over the last few years. It’s legit. It’s tight and long.

The sound they make notwithstanding, the K108 is kind of a honey badger with respect to conditions. Both times I skied them it was bulletproof and I still had a great time on them

It’s happening...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611426508.147736.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	359306

Got out on the 184 K108 today. Conditions were not ideal for what is the intended use case for this ski, but thought I would share my thoughts and impressions from 5-hours of mainly groomer ripping.

Set-up: 184-cm Katana K108 mounted with Salomon Warden 13 demos. I skied them on the recommended line.

I’m currently about 200-lbs. and skiing the 2019 Tecnica Cochise 130.

Conditions: firm and fast groomers that were “edge-able” and softened as temps rose. Very much like “spring groomers” as the day wore on. I was skiing with two of my kids today and off piste was a mix of icy crust and avy debris...not very appetizing.

First Impressions: I immediately knew I was on a ski with the same DNA as the M102. They felt very similar. I could tell that they were wider than the M102, as they were not as quick edge to edge as the M102.

Much like the M102, they crave speed and really come alive when you let them run. About three turns in and I was grinning ear to ear. These are probably the best 108-waist ski that handles groomers so well at high speed. So solid on edge...never washed out.

As the day wore on and the snow got more torn up and pushed into little piles, they rolled through everything. So stable and quiet. Just urges you to ski faster. And here is where I started to feel something different from the M102. The K108 just “feels” a tad more stable with a slightly higher top end. Not sure if there is something in the build or it is due to the wider ski and heavier overall weight...but they just feel like they have an extra gear so to speak.

I was initially worried about the 19-m part of the 3D sidecut, but not after skiing them. They can ski a tighter turn radius when driven that way, but generally ski and turn like they have a much larger radius. Also...no hookiness at all. Nothing similar to what I feel on something like and Enforcer 100 with the 18.5 radius that wants to stay locked into that turn shape.

The ski wants you to stay on the sweet spot on groomers to take advantage of the tighter radius under foot. As I started to get lazy and some backseat tendencies started to creep in, I could feel my weight pressuring the rearward portion of the ski and getting into that 34-m part of the radius and the ski immediately felt different...like it would take forever to turn. It also got my excited for how that tail will function in crud and variable. I expect it to be even looser than the M102.

As I was thinking about what this ski reminded me of (other than the M102), I immediately came to the OG Cochise. Now, take note...I’m NOT saying this is the reincarnation of that amazing ski, but it felt very similar in terms of how stable it felt. I thought “this is like the OG Cochise, but more versatile”. I need to get it in some steeps, crud, and variable conditions to further explore that comparison. Again, initial impressions are very encouraging. Also, this is the most “resort-friendly” Katana by far.

So, where would I see myself using this ski? Everywhere and anywhere. If the blasted border was open, this would be my Go To for Whistler. I had previously thought that the M102 was the perfect Whistler ski, but now I think I’ve found a better option.

I think this is the most fun ski I have been on all year. When my 17-yo absconded my M102’s, my immediate reaction was to buy a second pair. I’m SO glad I bought these instead...and I haven’t even gotten to ski them in the terrain and conditions for which they were intended.

If you liked skis like the OG Cochise, Q-Lab, or LP and didn’t ever need the longest length in any of those skis, try the 184 K108. If you liked those skis but are a bigger guy, I’ve got to think the 191 K108 is worth a look.

I forgot to add...they are very easy to ski and quite intuitive for someone use to skiing more stout skis. They literally took a few turns to get dialed and then it was full-throttle with confidence.

Nice review banditman....got notice while skiing today that my M102s were delivered to my door in North Van. My neighbour threw them in the garage cause I’m in Whistler skiing the conditions that M102s and k108s would excel in. My Enforcer 104s doing just fine though.

Funny....my gut said get a K108, but my head said go for an M102. Plus I got a sweet deal from Corbett’s on last years M102.

But your review comment above “my go-to ski for Whistler” got me! Haha.

But I’m happy to own the M102, it will be a great Whistler ski for my height/weight. Assuming I can ski it...will likely add a K108 in future.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-23-2021 at 10:22 PM.

As usual, nice review Bandit Man. They sound like fantastic skis. Now you need to try the new Cochise 106 to compare!!

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Nice review banditman....got notice while skiing today that my M102s were delivered to my door in North Van. My neighbour threw them in the garage cause I’m in Whistler skiing the conditions that M102s and k108s would excel in. My Enforcer 104s doing just fine though.

Funny....my gut said get a K108, but my head said go for an M102. Plus I got a sweet deal from Corbett’s on last years M102.

But your review comment above “my go-to ski for Whistler” got me! Haha.

But I’m happy to own the M102, it will be a great Whistler ski for my height/weight. Assuming I can ski it...will likely add a K108 in future.
    You’ll be set with the M102 and 104 Free. I think that added width and perceived increased stability will make the K108 just a tad better in the High Alpine of Whistler and just about everywhere at Blackcomb.

BM,

Your review pretty much corroborates my limited experience on the K108's. The 184 has that next gear like you said and the 191 has yet another, it goes to 11. I didn't get to try the 108's in deep snow but I did take a run on 191 M102's in some bottomless pow and was totally taken aback by the float, way better than it should have been so I have to believe that the 108 will be even better. Keep the reports coming as you get them into more stuff.

Heads up. I was on Corbett’s last night and had the coupon code “Pow21” which gets you 30% off full price 2021 stuff.

2021 K108s left in a 177cm and 184cm were available...they show up as $660CDN plus free shipping in your cart.

That’s approx. $515US for you ‘mericans.

I almost bought some. But want to ski my Mantras first.