Backcountry Skiing: Iceland vs Lyngen Norway

I'm looking to possibly go to Iceland or Lyngen, Norway for a 10 day backcountry ski trip next year. Obviously the correct answer is to "Do Both", buy my wallet can't handle that right now (I live in the Northeast US).
    Does anyone know the similarities/differences between those two places? They seem very similar just by looking at Google Maps, but I can't tell the true nature of the terrain, snow quality, ease of navigation (both on and off the mountain), and really anything else. There doesn't seem to be too much info online.

Bonus question: What's the best time of year to go to those places, when the snow is most stable but I'm still able to ski all the way down to the sea?

Thanks for any and all help! :-)

Never been to Iceland, but ski alot at Lyngen area(I live 1,5hrs from there). April is best time. Long days, usually still lots of snow. May is also good, sometimes short hikes to snow but still very good skiing. February and March are good too, not that many people and good for powder skiing. Not really a bad time to come up here

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Never been to Iceland, but ski alot at Lyngen area(I live 1,5hrs from there). April is best time. Long days, usually still lots of snow. May is also good, sometimes short hikes to snow but still very good skiing. February and March are good too, not that many people and good for powder skiing. Not really a bad time to come up here

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    That's awesome! I'm jealous of where you live! Do you typically ski down to treeline and bushwack out from there, or is there typically ways through or around the trees? Or maybe they just get buried in winter. It looks like the mountains are slightly bigger in Lyngen than Iceland, but there are no trees whatsoever in Iceland (I've been there in summer) so skiing all the way down is never a problem.
    Also, if you don't mind all the questions, how are the mountains there? Are they more jagged with lots of couloirs and steeps, or more soft rolling terrain?

Quote Originally Posted by m44e5a View Post
    That's awesome! I'm jealous of where you live! Do you typically ski down to treeline and bushwack out from there, or is there typically ways through or around the trees? Or maybe they just get buried in winter. It looks like the mountains are slightly bigger in Lyngen than Iceland, but there are no trees whatsoever in Iceland (I've been there in summer) so skiing all the way down is never a problem.
    Also, if you don't mind all the questions, how are the mountains there? Are they more jagged with lots of couloirs and steeps, or more soft rolling terrain?
    https://lmgtfy.com/?q=lyngen+alps+skiing&iie=1

Quote Originally Posted by m44e5a View Post
    I'm looking to possibly go to Iceland or Lyngen, Norway for a 10 day backcountry ski trip next year. Obviously the correct answer is to "Do Both", buy my wallet can't handle that right now (I live in the Northeast US).
    Does anyone know the similarities/differences between those two places? They seem very similar just by looking at Google Maps, but I can't tell the true nature of the terrain, snow quality, ease of navigation (both on and off the mountain), and really anything else. There doesn't seem to be too much info online.

Bonus question: What's the best time of year to go to those places, when the snow is most stable but I'm still able to ski all the way down to the sea?

Thanks for any and all help! :-)
    3 hours you’ve been a member. Wow. Welcome.

TBH, based on your questions, you don’t seem entirely prepared to go either place at this point. As suggested, there is a lot of info online and there are a few good TRs and threads here on the boards.

You should scour all of that before tossing softballs here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I did both on a back to back trip years ago. Lyngen has better skiing imop especially with boat access. Iceland was way more fun on down days and was better for sight seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    3 hours you’ve been a member. Wow. Welcome.

TBH, based on your questions, you don’t seem entirely prepared to go either place at this point. As suggested, there is a lot of info online and there are a few good TRs and threads here on the boards.

You should scour all of that before tossing softballs here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Oooh we got one of them Forum Queens here who thinks you gotta be subscribed on a message board to be able to...ski? TBH Sounds like you are trying to hide your own ineptitude behind a message board and your fancy iphone, esp seeing you are posting in a thread without posting any actual helpful input and 100% attack.

You seriously think i didn't do research? Do you seriously think looking at all the brochures for backcountry ski guides is going to give you realistic expectations or detailed knowledge and is better than from actual people who ski those areas and aren't just trying to steal your money? Go ahead and google "backcountry skiing Iceland vs Lyngen" and let me know how many sites you find that actually compares the two; i didn't see much but since you have been a member of tetongravity a while, that probably means you are a pro at the internet and will have better luck than me.

Cheers Mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I did both on a back to back trip years ago. Lyngen has better skiing imop especially with boat access. Iceland was way more fun on down days and was better for sight seeing.
    Thanks for the input! From reading between the lines on what others say, it does seem like lyngen might have some cooler lines and perhaps longer sustained steeps.

Don't think just Lyngen, especially if you are doing DIY trip and not guided. There's very good treeskiing around(I mean as good as in Japan, have spent there two winters so I know what I talk about). Lyngen, Malangen, Tromso, Kåfjord, Tamokdalen... So much terrain withing 2hrs of driving.

And if weather sucks in Norway, it's only 1-2hrs drive to Kilpisjärvi, Finland. It's where I live, we have much more continental climate and often sun shine when it's raining in Norway. And we have good skiing here too!

Iceland would be cool, but in Norway you will have so much options and possibilities for different weather.

done both , agree with comments above , lyngen had better skiing with easier access , but Iceland did have a magical feel to it !!

Ski guides have brochures?