Ski Review Copywriters???

I know most print mags are just spinning marketing BS and calling it a review, but can these writers at least do a modicum of copywriting after they cut/paste quotes from reps?

https://www.outsideonline.com/240819...ch-perfect-ski

Not only is this chock full of decades-old truisms about ski design and development, but I count seven copywriting errors with spelling or continuity.

I recently listened to and enjoyed Blister's podcast that ripped into bogus fluff reviews. Starts at 53min - https://blisterreview.com/featured/b...s-guides-ep-69

Hey, I see you're in Aspen. We are trying to locate Bobby Stainless as some shit is going down in Nashville in another thread. He may be staying at the Little Nell. Any chance you run into him, tell him to check into the PR please.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Hey, I see you're in Aspen. We are trying to locate Bobby Stainless as some shit is going down in Nashville in another thread. He may be staying at the Little Nell. Any chance you run into him, tell him to check into the PR please.
    Or just have him tell Ashlee to call us?

Please and thank you.
    I still call it The Jake.

I think you may be confusing copyrighting (IP protection) with copy editing (grammatical proofing)?

I might be able to drop by today What's he driving today Porsche or Maserati?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think you may be confusing copyrighting (IP protection) with copy editing (grammatical proofing)?
    say wha?

"Copywriting is the act or occupation of writing text for the purpose of advertising or other forms of marketing. The product, called copy, is written content that aims to increase brand awareness and ultimately persuade a person or group to take a particular action."

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    "Copywriting is the act or occupation of writing text for the purpose of advertising or other forms of marketing. The product, called copy, is written content that aims to increase brand awareness and ultimately persuade a person or group to take a particular action."
    Yes. But you appear to be complaining about spelling / grammatical errors:

" I count seven copywriting errors with spelling or continuity"

Regardless, carry on with your complaints. Lots of bad ski reviews.

Yes. But you appear to be complaining about spelling / grammatical errors:

" I count seven copywriting errors with spelling or continuity"

Regardless, carry on with your complaints. Lots of bad ski reviews.
    true true, I hear ya. I just meant that couldn't they provide actual quality copywriting from the get-go instead a hasty steaming dump of musings framed as "review." A good job on the front end should bypass the need for extensive editing on the back end.

Ski Review Copywriters???

Is the author of that article the same man who complained about the Wyoming Hype Beast drinking Coors Light in the JH tram line on a “pow day?”

I have been wanting to try some rangers though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I though WTF when I read that article, mostly because the author, Peter Stark, wrote Astoria, a very fine book, one of my favorite reads of the past few years. Don't bother with that inane Outside article, but do read Astoria.

Chicago Tribune review

Thanks on the Stainless thing. Is there an Aston dealer in Aspen?

instead a hasty steaming dump of musings framed as "review."
    Personally, I refuse to take seriously any review without rocker pictures. Or a review by a reviewer who is 5'7" 135# unless I'm buying a pair of ladies skis.

Thanks on the Stainless thing. Is there an Aston dealer in Aspen?

Personally, I refuse to take seriously any review without rocker pictures. Or a review by a reviewer who is 5'7" 135# unless I'm buying a pair of ladies skis.
    I'd wager Bobby is in a GTC 4Lusso or failing that, a Panamera 4S.

And I hear ya on the rocker thing. Try looking at skis for kids online. "Full rocker design!" *zooms in* Nice camber jerk.

My kid wanted a pair of Moment Frankenskis. So I did my due diligence and looked at the side profile. It looked like my Ralph Lauren Purple Label 100% Pima Cotton Chinos that time my wife put them in the dryer by accident. Btw, the care label was written in 18 goddamn languages to "Dry Clean Only" so you'd think she'd understand one of them? But I digress--anyway getting back to those skis and the rocker thing, I just couldn't figure out how those things actually worked, so he got a pair of normal skis instead.

My kid wanted a pair of Moment Frankenskis. So I did my due diligence and looked at the side profile. It looked like my Ralph Lauren Purple Label 100% Pima Cotton Chinos that time my wife put them in the dryer by accident. Btw, the care label was written in 18 goddamn languages to "Dry Clean Only" so you'd think she'd understand one of them? But I digress--anyway getting back to those skis and the rocker thing, I just couldn't figure out how those things actually worked, so he got a pair of normal skis instead.
    I feel for you and those pants.

The kid will get other skis one day.

I did NOT make it to the Nell this afternoon as planned, but I did keep an eye out as I drove through town. No TN ballers were sighted.

I will likely be skiing Aspen tomorrow, so I’ll scope again!

Copy writing. Or writing copy.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Copy writing. Or writing copy.
    Yeah, but that's writing marketing copy. So the complaint is that there's not enough marketing-speak in ski reviews? That doesn't seem accurate.

But more to the point, like Steve said, I think plenty of those guys are probably decent writers. But when they're paid nominal sums on a per piece basis, the incentive is for them to crank out marginally readable crap as quickly as possible, usually while leaning heavily on the marketing copy from whatever brand they're talking about.

I did NOT make it to the Nell this afternoon as planned, but I did keep an eye out as I drove through town. No TN ballers were sighted.

I will likely be skiing Aspen tomorrow, so I’ll scope again!

Thank you for your service.

Please tell him shit has gone sideways in Nashvegas in his absence.

Geez, I'm still sick about Timberridge's pima Purple Labels. Can you imagine how fucking soft those things must have been? The impeccable cut and tailoring are a given of course. The fucking travesty of it all.