Binding mount w/o boots?

I f’ed myself real good. I was recently in japan where I keep a pair of praxis protest as my only ski. After subpar winter they’re having (besides this last epic week) I came home wanting something else to play on. Scored a sick deal from Ptex1 and got after it. Now I mount my own bindings at my house in Portland, where my tools are. Bindings are enroute from pdx. Skis shipped from Ptex1. Ordered a new drill bit. Got myself prepared to mount without my jig with paper templates. I just realized my ski boots are in Japan. Fucken dumbass move. I live in Hawaii... where everything is being shipped.... So any way to mount some look pivots with paper template without ski boots in hand?

Tl;dr: can you mount ski bindings w/o ski boots?

Hoping someone can help me mcgyver this.

Mahalos

i wouldn't fret too much over it, the reason a shop wants a boot is to set up the jig which you don't have/need

set the paper template to your bsl (hopefully you know it), drill skis and mount the bindings. set fwd pressure when you have your boots at a later date, done

if its a major concern just borrow a boot locally with same bsl, even better if you can source the same boot

pivots have a pretty wide range of adjustment for fwd pressure so getting it close should work fine

Quote Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
    I f’ed myself real good. I was recently in japan where I keep a pair of praxis protest as my only ski. After subpar winter they’re having (besides this last epic week) I came home wanting something else to play on. Scored a sick deal from Ptex1 and got after it. Now I mount my own bindings at my house in Portland, where my tools are. Bindings are enroute from pdx. Skis shipped from Ptex1. Ordered a new drill bit. Got myself prepared to mount without my jig with paper templates. I just realized my ski boots are in Japan. Fucken dumbass move. I live in Hawaii... where everything is being shipped.... So any way to mount some look pivots with paper template without ski boots in hand?

Tl;dr: can you mount ski bindings w/o ski boots?

Hoping someone can help me mcgyver this.

Mahalos
    Just find out what your bsl is. You don’t need the actual boot until you set the forward pressure.

You use BSL to mount with paper templates. So if you know your BSL you’re set. If not you should be able to find out through the boot manufacturer based on the model and size.

Thanks for the feedback! That’s definitely a relief. I’ve never used paper templates before. I know the Bsl so I should be fine. TGR always droppin the knowledge.

I’ve never used paper templates before.
    verify scaling on the printed sheet prior to setting and drilling

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    verify scaling on the printed sheet prior to setting and drilling
    Will do! MUST REMEMBER

Find a centerline.

To verify the template once you've gotten it taped up, the distance from the rear holes of the toepiece to the front holes of the heel piece on center should be your BSL (in mm) minus 97 or 98. I've mounted pivots like that with no template and they are right on. Vitamin I is who posted that formula originally.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    To verify the template once you've gotten it taped up, the distance from the rear holes of the toepiece to the front holes of the heel piece on center should be your BSL (in mm) minus 97 or 98. I've mounted pivots like that with no template and they are right on. Vitamin I is who posted that formula originally.
    Seems overly complicated if the scaling on the template is good.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Seems overly complicated if the scaling on the template is good.
    Exactly. The new templates are sweet.
    Fold in half at your bsl size. Tape to ski at boot center Mark
    Center punch the holes and drill. A large framing nail makes a great center punch

I find it easier to do toe and heel separately rather than taping them together.

Put masking tape down the middle and draw a nice centerline first. Then mark your ski boot center.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Center punch the holes and drill. A large framing nail makes a great center punch

I find it easier to do toe and heel separately rather than taping them together.

Put masking tape down the middle and draw a nice centerline first. Then mark your ski boot center.
    Exactly how I do it. I think it’s probably more accurate than a jig actually.

I think I’ll give this method a try. Seems to be the most straight forward I’ve seen. Although measuring the distance of the holes may be a good double checking method.

Do you guys prefer the templates on TECH TALK forum. Or any other better ones available?

I think I’ll give this method a try. Seems to be the most straight forward I’ve seen. Although measuring the distance of the holes may be a good double checking method.

Do you guys prefer the templates on TECH TALK forum. Or any other better ones available?
    The templates here are great. Measure the scale on the side to check. If you’re worried put your binding over the template and check if the holes line up. Don’t over think this.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Don’t over think this.
    Life issues/goals haha. Everything is sounding pretty straight forward!

Sounds like op has freehanded binding mounts. That shit is always off by a few degrees at best

The interwebs templates are money. I think better than some jigs.

As has been said just double check the scale of the print with a ruler.

You got this
    . . .

Sounds like op has freehanded binding mounts. That shit is always off by a few degrees at best

The interwebs templates are money. I think better than some jigs.

As has been said just double check the scale of the print with a ruler.

You got this
    Yea, I use the jigarex and that thing is off. Always shimming, clamping, triple measuring, or some crap to make sure its on the money. Even then it doesn’t seem exact as when I measure.