Is This a Warranty Issue?

Never come across this before, and I've never noticed a similar issue on another pair of skis.

Brand new Jr SL skis from Head.

The edge is separating from the base or was never fully seated against the base. I noticed it the first time I looked closely at them, which was the first time I waxed them. He hasn't had them long enough for this to be caused by use (2, maybe 3 hours of total time on the mountain).

I've sent Head the pics and while they've authorized the return, they keep saying "if it's deemed to be a warranty issue..." Thoughts? (I think I know what the thoughts will be, but just seeking validation).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddsddsdfaa.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	629.9 KB 
ID:	314115

Def seems like a warranty issue. There's not reason for that gap to appear unless you hit something, and that damage would be quite apparent.

I'm sure they are just using a standard reply so they don't screw themselves if the skis show up and there is something blatantly wrong with them that you didn't mention.

Is the edge loose ? I wonder if that is just the way they were finished so did they just glue up that way ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Interestingly enough a duder just posted the same situation in the Moment thread as well...

Didn't get wetted out proper during layup. Warranty that shit quick. This is exactly what my EHP's problem was and it can create a dangerous skiing situation. I'll never make a tele turn again because of my resultant injury!

Thanks for all the prompt replies (and the sobering warning, Tuco).

No XXX, the edge is rock solid, for now anyway. Kinda looked like gradual water intrusion would ensure that wouldn't always be the case.

Name:	IMG_20200205_175504.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	765.4 KB 
ID:	314156Water in delam freezes and propagates ice build up on edge. Also the base sits higher than edge, creating skiability problems(hookiness)

I've seen that before but assumed they inadvertently got pressed that way.

I'd warranty them if you can't but if you can't and you have the patience of a saint you could stuff some epoxy in there (or even metal grip (?) Base filler to keep water out and I'd bet it would hold.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I've seen that before but assumed they inadvertently got pressed that way.

I'd warranty them if you can't but if you can't and you have the patience of a saint you could stuff some epoxy in there (or even metal grip (?) Base filler to keep water out and I'd bet it would hold.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    I'd probably feel pretty shitty if my kid got hurt as a result.

Plus, while I wouldn't necessarily agree with his lifestyle choice, I nonetheless support his right to choose to tele.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Would call that a cosmetic blemish.

will they send you a new pair? Likely.
    will those ski poorly or be dangerous in any way? No.
    Would a little ptex to seal it up remedy the issue? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post

Name:	IMG_20200205_175504.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	765.4 KB 
ID:	314156Water in delam freezes and propagates ice build up on edge. Also the base sits higher than edge, creating skiability problems(hookiness)
    My SO fucked her knee one season due to the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    while I wouldn't necessarily agree with his lifestyle choice, I nonetheless support his right to choose to tele.
    well at least he is not a snowboarder
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post

It's likely regular ptex would just keep peeling out, and it's not really deep enough for metal grip and you don't want that at the surface.

Can't tell from the pic but it looks like the edge bows out there, in which case it definitely isn't a cosmetic issue. But warranty issue either way. I've seen hairline separation that is just a layup issue but this looks a lot worse than that. You're not supposed to have to fix new skis, other than a tune. (IMO you shouldn't have to tune new skis either, but that isn't the industry standard, unfortunately.) And if you did try to fix with ptex and it failed you would have probably voided the warranty.

With no skis in hand it is all speculation. It could just be bad fitment(cosmetic) or it could be a delamination issue, like mine. In which case, yes, fukn dangerous! We've even got a 2nd case in this thread of that happening w/ injuries!.(see doebedoes post)
    If you can pick at the edge of the base material, ie base is higher than edge, you have delam issues

?4 Tuco

Your skis delamed causing a crash?

IE, no indication it was doing so?
    watch out for snakes

Yes. I posted a pic above where you can clearly see the rust under the clear base material.
    Ice balls form, causing potential for ski(s) to suddenly not slide anymore. Potentially causing skier to go head over heels into the creek bed
    Skis only have about 15 days on them. I noticed what the real issue was while waxing.

Gotcha
    watch out for snakes

while your at it, take a true bar through the shovel of the tip. Lots of skis Ive seen sold as Jr. race are garbage, poor ptex and finish. Esp in the sub 150 range.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    With no skis in hand it is all speculation. It could just be bad fitment(cosmetic) or it could be a delamination issue, like mine. In which case, yes, fukn dangerous! We've even got a 2nd case in this thread of that happening w/ injuries!.(see doebedoes post)
    If you can pick at the edge of the base material, ie base is higher than edge, you have delam issues
    would agree. not sealing the gap (blowtorch ptex or epoxy in to thin it and flow into the crack) would lead to water intrusion and issues as you point out. but an easy fix for sure.

or just warranty it. its clearly a c-grade ski.

ALSO @ OP
    There appears to be mega stone structure in the base-ede. The base-edge should be bevelled and polished. I would say an edge in that condition underfoot (or really anywhere on the running length) is more dangerous and likely to cause a hooked edge at the worst moment than the gap from poor base material cut-out ... and most kid skis will ship this way (ie for you to pay for a proper tune).

would agree. not sealing the gap (blowtorch ptex or epoxy in to thin it and flow into the crack) would lead to water intrusion and issues as you point out. but an easy fix for sure.

or just warranty it. its clearly a c-grade ski.

ALSO @ OP
    There appears to be mega stone structure in the base-ede. The base-edge should be bevelled and polished. I would say an edge in that condition underfoot (or really anywhere on the running length) is more dangerous and likely to cause a hooked edge at the worst moment than the gap from poor base material cut-out ... and most kid skis will ship this way (ie for you to pay for a proper tune).
    That would definitely not have fixed my EHP's. The base along the edge needs extraction and replacement, plain and simple. Whether it would repair Mattigs kids skis, again, without skis in hand=speculation.
    Delamed base along edge can create that railed feeling too.
    Totally agree on tune. Railed skis are fuckin sketchy. But fitment issues are not the same as adhesion issues

Good eye on the base structure in the edges. That's on my ski setup checklist too and I didn't even think about it because of where I bought these and the implicit trust placed in the shop/owner.

(interestingly enough, that line item on the checklist came courtesy of the shop owner in question, but I'm sure he doesn't set up youth race skis by default without being asked and paid. I just wish he would have mentioned they needed it).